Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: I am not sure anybody disagrees with what you guys are saying....
AKP appears to be. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry, I implied logical, non-trolls :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: What I'm wondering is why it matters that it takes up 50 dates on the calender since there seem to be more than 50 open dates on the calender for a sports team to occupy, including several lucrative weekend dates. I realize this gives them less leeway ("abundance of options"), but I have a hard time seeing it cost us several concerts. Its not THAT many dates, and the calendar isn't THAT packed right now. And like I said, there are other arenas around the country that somehow host NBA teams AND compete for concerts.
Not sure of the timing now but the 50 dates mentioned are the number dates the building gives the team to submit to the league to form the schedule.  We use to give those dates around April for the following season.  And those dates are tied up until the schedule is released.  It is during that time of giving and before release that many concert tours are shaping up.  And as TL said the arena also holds many dates for possible playoff games.  Therefore if the dates are not available when a concert tour is forming a building loses out on a booking.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not sure of the timing now but the 50 dates mentioned are the number dates the building gives the team to submit to the league to form the schedule.  We use to give those dates around April for the following season.  And those dates are tied up until the schedule is released.  It is during that time of giving and before release that many concert tours are shaping up.  And as TL said the arena also holds many dates for possible playoff games.  Therefore if the dates are not available when a concert tour is forming a building loses out on a booking.
And as stated before, many times bookers can be flexible. Most tours aren't going to skip a city because a particular Tuesday is not available. They work around it. How do other arenas deal with this? Is Cleveland losing a ton of concerts because of the Cavs? OKC is losing concerts because of the Thunder?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not sure of the timing now but the 50 dates mentioned are the number dates the building gives the team to submit to the league to form the schedule.  We use to give those dates around April for the following season.  And those dates are tied up until the schedule is released.  It is during that time of giving and before release that many concert tours are shaping up.  And as TL said the arena also holds many dates for possible playoff games.  Therefore if the dates are not available when a concert tour is forming a building loses out on a booking.
How many touring events book Kansas City and skip Omaha (creighton), Denver (nuggets and avalanche, Dallas (mavericks and stars), STL (blues), and/or OKC (thunder)?  

A handful.  Maybe 4-5?  Maybe?  
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Rather have Sprint Center lose a couple of concerts and get an amphitheater near the River.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: Rather have Sprint Center lose a couple of concerts and get an amphitheater near the River.
Starlight > Live Nation venue.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: And as stated before, many times bookers can be flexible. Most tours aren't going to skip a city because a particular Tuesday is not available. They work around it. How do other arenas deal with this? Is Cleveland losing a ton of concerts because of the Cavs? OKC is losing concerts because of the Thunder?
I guess you have never taken calls from promoters wishing to book concerts.  I have.  To a certain extent there is some flexibility and to a certain extent there isn't.  In the past I have also been involved in the selection of the so-called 50 dates given to teams for their schedules - you have to take into account what bookings you already have plus the dates for the annual shows (some might be on multi-year contracts).  If an act definitely wants to play KC or a promoter wants to book KC then it becomes easy - other cities in the area are booked around KC.  But if an act or a promoter really doesn't care if it is booked in KC, Omaha, De Moines, Tulsa, OKC, etc. and is just in the Midwest for 2 shows then the buildings with the open dates gets the booking.  Yes, the SC might be a great facility but the KC market is still 2nd or 3rd tier when it comes to concerts - that could be one reason for the Monday through Thursday bookings instead of the weekends.
In the 70's and 80's KC did have an advantage over other cities in the region since it had the biggest arena but now many of the region's cities have similiar seating capacities.  At the same time people in Des Moines travel to KC for a concert and I would imagine that the reverse is true (or to/from Omaha or Tulsa).

To answer your question, yes, those cities are probably losing some concerts because of their pro sport teams.  Hoiw many, hard to say.  But I would have to side with TL when he says:
Now, the arena has an abundance of options to offer concert promoters.

He also said:
?There?s a lot going on with both the NBA and NHL ? I think it?s best for us now to stay focused on keeping this a great arena, and the leagues will sort themselves out over the next two years, and when the time comes, we?ll seize the opportunity.?
And given what I heard yesterday that sheds some light on his statement.  Evidently a rich Russian has offered to buy an 80% share of the NBA Nets.  As part of the story the reporter stated that around half of the NBA and NHL teams are up for sale, might not all be announced but unofficially waiting for offers.  There are also expectations that other non-American billionaires might be shopping for sport teams to feed their ego.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kemper Arena to soak up much of Sprint Center profit for KC
Oscar McGaskey, convention and entertainment center director, told a City Council committee this week that this year's projected deficit at Kemper and the American Royal Complex is about $1.4 million. Sprint Center revenues probably will cover that.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Head of AEG dismisses criticism from Cordish
The president of the Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group dismissed criticism leveled by Baltimore-based Cordish Co. that the new arena was a "disaster" because it had not landed an NHL or NBA franchise. David Cordish made that charge last year in an e-mail to City Hall that was leaked and complaints have continued, albeit below the radar.

With the Sprint Center anticipating the handover of $1.8 million to the city through a profit-sharing agreement and the Kansas City Power & Light District underperforming financially, Leiweke tossed a stone right back from his 18,000-seat glass house across Grand Boulevard.

"The Power & Light District was committed to before the Sprint Center was a reality," Leiweke said. "For them to use us as a crutch is a crock. Don't worry about us. Get your district fully open."

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

developer brawl! who will win?!?!?!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

DaveKCMO wrote: developer brawl! who will win?!?!?!
Main Event at Sprint Center. Winner take ALL Responsibility.  :P
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I realize that it's probably a pretty low rent side of me that's coming out, but I'm really enjoying the bitch slapping that these guys are trading.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This is actually just exactly what we need.  Two big developers motivating each other to do their parts.  The development game is not a little about ego.  Let them battle it out to see who can be the biggest player on the block.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I think the new AT&T Center has been a huge success and a boon for downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

justin8216 wrote: I think the new AT&T Center has been a huge success and a boon for downtown.
quit trolling
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc