Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by KCPowercat »

I continue to hear both on this site and in conversations with people about the Sprint Center being empty...with implications of it being a waste if it doesn't draw an NBA or NHL team.  What is everybody's feelings on this?  Should the Sprint Center not have been built if we knew that it wouldn't draw a pro team in it's immediate future?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: I continue to hear both on this site and in conversations with people about the Sprint Center being empty...with implications of it being a waste if it doesn't draw an NBA or NHL team.  What is everybody's feelings on this?  Should the Sprint Center not have been built if we knew that it wouldn't draw a pro team in it's immediate future?
nope. even without a major tenant, it will help strengthen the cities place nationally with regards to being a major player in the convention business. further, the sprint center, without a major tenant, with the redone dt around it, will be a major draw that kemper can never be in the concert/event market. and again, the conventions it will get on its own merit, these things will make it fiscally viable either way.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Notwithstanding the fact that accomodating sports teams can be a bottomless money pit, there are plenty of franchises around the country looking for sweeter deals than what they currently have. I don't believe that by '09 there will be no regular tenant, but even if there is not to be, the risk needed to be taken in order to assess downtown and the larger metro's viability at attracting venues.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

If we dont get one or the other by 2009, it won't be a complete waste, but I will be thoroughly dissappointed. I personally wanted an NHL team here badly, and I'm sure some people wanted an NBA team here badly too, but just because we may not get one within 2 years of the Sprint Center's opening, doesn't mean we will ever get one. Dallas' Reunion arena was built in the early 80's, and yes at the time had an NBA franchise, but didn't attract the NHL until 1993. The same goes for Phoenix, who had the NBA but recieved the NHL 4 years after their arena opened. Just because we may not attract either NBA or NHL at the start doesn't mean we are down and out.
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KSTHANE »

I also think there will be a tenant within 5 years of the opening of this thing.  I don't consider it a waste of money because metro residents aren't really paying that much for it.  The tax is on hotel and car rental patrons so we are getting out of towners to pay for this.  I suppose it could have been paid back sooner if a regular tenant was there, but oh well.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCPowercat wrote: I continue to hear both on this site and in conversations with people about the Sprint Center being empty...with implications of it being a waste if it doesn't draw an NBA or NHL team.  What is everybody's feelings on this?  Should the Sprint Center not have been built if we knew that it wouldn't draw a pro team in it's immediate future?
Well, it has been said by the folks at AEG that their bread and butter is in the non-sports related events so I don't think it matters.  It will draw people into downtown and that's what is important.  It's not like we're paying for it out of our own pockets so why the hell not build it and see what happens?  We didn't have the sports teams before unless you seriously wanna count the Comets so we certainly aren't going to be any worse off for it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

not having a major league tenant is obviously a sub-optimal result, but we needed a new arena to compete for other regional and national events, and i think we scored a home run with the Sprint Center in terms of location in the city.  however, the longer it sits without a tenant, the more likely it will become "obsolete" in terms of major league sports.  i bet we either get a team in its first 3-5 years or not at all.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Having the Sprint Center with an NHL or NBA team is going to cost KC a hell of a lot more than without one.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think it will be a failure, but somehow I have a feeling many lame-brain Kansas Citians will consider it a failure, much like they consider Bi-State for US was a failure (it wasn't).

I'd like at least a few minor tenants like the Brigade and at least a minor league hockey team. Nonetheless, it will be pretty cool to have concerts, the Big XII tourney, the CBE (Guardians Classic), and the College Basketball Experience.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

KCMax wrote: I'd like at least a few minor tenants like the Brigade and at least a minor league hockey team. Nonetheless, it will be pretty cool to have concerts, the Big XII tourney, the CBE (Guardians Classic), and the College Basketball Experience.
I'm hoping the Comets come out of their blackout and become a minor tenant, as well (for the sake of the SC and my avatar).  The SC provides a great opportunity to garner the same sellout crowds like they had in the late 80's/early 90's.  I think landing the NBA or NHL is much more about our image--both nationally and for the many suburbanites who measure the SC's success on getting one of said teams--than a determinant in whether the idea was financially worth it or not.  We'll get one eventually...
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

We could always use it to provide shelter to the homeless.  :)
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: I don't think it will be a failure, but somehow I have a feeling many lame-brain Kansas Citians will consider it a failure, much like they consider Bi-State for US was a failure (it wasn't).
Point of contention: the station is still losing money. It may not be a failure in a lot of ways--it's great to have saved the building--but neither can it be called a success as long as we're subsidising it. I mean, just think of all the nice things we could have if we didn't force them pay their own way! Why, we could have major league sports franchises, and...nevermind.

Anyway, if the city is still paying for Kemper and for some reason subsizing the Sprint Center in 2009, I for one will be second guessing my arena vote.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

I remember when they were first pitching a new arena your Mayor saying that they wouldn't need a pro team to make the arena succesful. Then all of the talk was about how she was going after a pro team. I always had my doubts about another team in KC when other cities started throwing KC and the Sprint Center out there to get new arenas themselves. It's yet to be seen if another team will come.

In the mean time, not even having an anchor tenant is going to be a drag on the Sprint Center. Does KC have some sort of college team that could fill the void? Are any UMKC sports candidates? The Qwest Center's main tenants are UNO Hockey and Creighton Basketball. The basketball draws very well, while the hockey has been on decline.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

It would be cool if UMKC developed a major hockey program, a la UNO.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DTO wrote: In the mean time, not even having an anchor tenant is going to be a drag on the Sprint Center.
arena football is expected to become one anchor tenant. i don't go to sporting events, so it's irrelevant to me anyway. i want concerts within walking distance.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

KCMax wrote: It would be cool if UMKC developed a major hockey program, a la UNO.
I'll be the first to say it... that's never going to happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DTO wrote: I remember when they were first pitching a new arena your Mayor saying that they wouldn't need a pro team to make the arena succesful. Then all of the talk was about how she was going after a pro team. I always had my doubts about another team in KC when other cities started throwing KC and the Sprint Center out there to get new arenas themselves. It's yet to be seen if another team will come.

In the mean time, not even having an anchor tenant is going to be a drag on the Sprint Center. Does KC have some sort of college team that could fill the void? Are any UMKC sports candidates? The Qwest Center's main tenants are UNO Hockey and Creighton Basketball. The basketball draws very well, while the hockey has been on decline.
I don't think a UMKC bball game would help.  It would probably hurt eating up prime dates for more profitable events.  UMKC will stay at the Muni.

I have no problem not having an "anchor" tenant for the facility....in my mind KC needed an up to date arena....I do agree with Chrizow though that the longer they go without an NHL/NBA level tenant, it just becomes more outdated and harder to pull that type of team.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

May I start off with a little history lesson. On its inception the Trans World Dome in St. Louis Missouri also did not have a major tennant. The city of St. Louis went ahead though and built this grand indoor football stadium. With the dome about 1/8th of the way to being compleated (roof still not finished, systems not yet tested or installed) Gorgia Frontier (I hope I spelled the name right) decided to move her team ,the Rams, to her home city St. Louis. they played their first home games in Bush Stadium II. their home opener in the Trans World Dome was against the San Fransisco 49ers. I had the privilage to attend a game a few weeks after the home openerand I was impressed with the quality of the dome.
   Now fast forward to today, we are seeing the same happen with Kansas City. A major arena being built with out a major tennant (NBA or NHL, or both). If you are keeping score at home the completion date of this about 421 days out. this is about 1.2 years to go. There are still not any risers in the arena or even any stitch of a bathroom in place. This grand arena will probably attract a major tennant as the last of the tower cranes start comming down.
   Even if there is not a major tennant, though, the Kansas City metro area will be a major draw for events like the Olympics, The Democratic National Convention, The Republican National Convention, Religious conventions such as The Billy Grahm Crusade, Maybee a stop for the Pope to do a Mass, or even drawing the annual Consumer Electronics Show from Las Vegas Nevada. I could go on and on with possible events that can be held because of this little Diamond in the heart of America, but I will say that as the arena is finished we will probaby be seing it being booked with a host of major events.  

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

anniewarbucks wrote:   Religious conventions such as The Billy Grahm Crusade, Maybee a stop for the Pope to do a Mass, 

billy swindler graham was just in last fall, and both that and the pope are held in football stadiums and domes, not arenas. too small.

when the pope came to st louis, he was at the twa dome.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Those are pretty polarizing events. :)

The football team will be the Brigade won't it? How do they draw now?