Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote:Not breakfast as in, it is not a breakfast specific joint, or as in, it doesn't/wouldn't serve breakfast at all? Pizza, BBQ, and Stroud's are what come to mind. I would think "no" on pizza considering whatever that concept is next to Johnny's. Stroud's would be a huge leap for them considering they like older places and waited for years to expand to avoid getting walloped on price. BBQ makes sense if Cordish is willing to bend over on rent for a long period of time.

"Closer to local than national" would indicate that the place perhaps has some other restaurants in the region (like Lawrence, Wichita, Omaha, Columbia, STL, Tulsa), but doesn't have a full presence in say three or more major cities. Stroud's, Okie Joe's, Blanc, and... wait... now I am having an epiphany that is a bit absurd... but what if... no... but what if Justus Drugstore 2.0 is the "regional," more local than national restaurant that will come to the P&L? That's crazy, right? They were looking into a concept near the Kaufman Center for a while. ColumbusPark's "should be happier" would have to be playing down the news a bit considering this would send the board into a Kansas-City-insider-news-frenzy. That doesn't discount that "more local than national" could not also mean an establishment that would be coming to the center of the metro for the first time.
I kind of doubt if a breakfast joint could make the high rents in the Power and Light District. Kind of hurts when you don't sell much or any alcohol and the plates cost less than 10 bucks each.

One of my problems with the P&L district for dining is that you only have a few of genre's of quality food - steak, seafood and sushi. And then there is a quasi fast food spot at Chipolte and the general American food at Gordon Biersch. The rest of the restaurants are glorified bars. Any number of niche's could and need to be filled.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

24hr Auntie Anne's.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

How much of the P&L District is unoccupied? I tried checking it out on Google Maps and I did not even see Yardhouse so that's not exactly up to date. It seems new establishments tend to occupy the vacated space of failed tenants (per the move by the brewery from Wisconsin) rather than to fill in the long unoccupied spots like the open space in the southeastern most spot in the development directly across from the Sprint Center.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Tailored Brands closing 80-90 Jos. A. Bank stores this year.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Earlier I saw a discussion about Cordish picking concepts very carefully and not duplicating any particular styles within the district (with reference to the choice of Rally House in such a prominent location). Made me wonder how two very similar concepts (Flying Saucer and Yard House) are doing just about a block apart. I've not been in Flying Saucer for a couple of years now and I've never been in the P&L Yard House? Are they both doing good business? Flying Saucer was always packed on the times I visited.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Yard House and Flying Saucer feel completely different to me. Saucer is more of a neighborhood bar while Yard House is a real sit down restaurant that serves more than just simple bar fare.

I don't go to Yard House as often, but I live across the street from Saucer and frequent it quite a bit. It's usually pretty busy.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I still can't for the life of me understand why we don't have a House of Blues. I understand (but don't like) not having a hard rock in the power and light district but they could easily go somewhere else that's close within the loop.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think we need to forget trying to be an 'and me' for American chains. We should be able to start a jazz club in this town that would be better than HOB. If you just moved the music from The Foundation to P&L, it would be the best music venue in the country. If you're going to be a chain, grab something international that would be a first for the US. Copy Rio Scenarium as a live music venue. It would be amazing.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I get that local bars and restaurants are great for locals but conventioneers, vacationers and suburbanites have spoken loud and clear. We really need to get over this whole "we're Kansas City and we know better than everyone else" attitude and do what works. Cities like Denver, Chicago, St. Louis, Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, Phoenix, Detroit, Boston ect. have them for a reason and that's because people frequent them and out of towners love them, plain and simple. They would without a doubt draw more traffic than than the kill devil club and the likes of it just due to brand recognition alone.

I don't get why we fight simple things. A specific customer base want them and they draw in foot traffic and help to elevate your city's status to something above Omaha and Des Moines. Yes local bars are wanted and needed but at the same time so are chains. In the same breath, the loop needs McDonalds. Yes, Town topic and other burger joints would be a better dining experience but Big 12 visitors, NCAA fans have spoken loud and clear. How about we give the public what they want instead of telling them what they want...

rant over.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't think anyone would actually fight it. They'd just grumble about it online and never go there. That's what I'd do, anyway.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mister816 wrote:I get that local bars and restaurants are great for locals but conventioneers, vacationers and suburbanites have spoken loud and clear. We really need to get over this whole "we're Kansas City and we know better than everyone else" attitude and do what works. Cities like Denver, Chicago, St. Louis, Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, Phoenix, Detroit, Boston ect. have them for a reason and that's because people frequent them and out of towners love them, plain and simple.
Because, except for a few of the cities you name, I'd rather have what we have now as it is building organically. If we're copying St. Louis or Phoenix or San Diego; I'm out! Remember when you were in high school and every 'good' band came from Seattle or when all your tech buddies were moving to the Bay Area to hook on with a new startup or how this next generation flocked to Portland? That's what I want, not some Disneyfied retread. Kansas City has too much to sell out so a convention attendee could get what they already have back home.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

beautyfromashes wrote:Because, except for a few of the cities you name, I'd rather have what we have now as it is building organically. If we're copying St. Louis or Phoenix or San Diego; I'm out! Remember when you were in high school and every 'good' band came from Seattle or when all your tech buddies were moving to the Bay Area to hook on with a new startup or how this next generation flocked to Portland? That's what I want, not some Disneyfied retread. Kansas City has too much to sell out so a convention attendee could get what they already have back home.
Having a chain restaurant is not selling out. It's just somewhere to get food that all major cities have. Why didn't i see any complaints about us getting a yard house right off of the streetcar line? Yard House is a larger chain than HRC and HOB. What about the Chipotle right in the middle of the P&L? You must hate the plaza because it's almost all chain restaurants.

I'm beginning to think that chains are not the problem, it's this specific chain and that is what I don't get.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

How about a "House of Jazz"
Where are the investors for that idea?
A giant sax or Bass out front and BBQ/Soul themed food.

That says KC.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I'd love to see Christopher Elbow move into a space. They've outgrown their current location and would be a good local and tourist destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:Yard house and Flying Saucer both do very well on their own. Yard house sees more family sit down traffic, while Flying Saucer gets the loyal beer fans, but not a ton of families.

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed, but the Midland/Indie were originally planned to be a House of Blues. It didn't work out, and I'm glad because The Midland/AEG who are 50% partners with Cordish brings in a great mix of talent.

The Kill Devil Club was designed as a jazz lounge, complete with baby grand piano. It could never get any traction, even with great live jazz on the weekends. It's changed and now it's more of a house music vibe in there.

Cordish is aware of what people want and what downtown needs. They're not anti-nation chains by any means, but they want to make sure it's a solid mix of national chains, locally operated concepts and internal concepts. My personal #1 wish is for a local BBQ joint to go in the old Famous Daves space. Jack Stack, Joes etc. It's insane there's no A-level BBQ in PNL, but I do know Cordish has been actively seeking out local BBQ operators in hopes to make a deal happen.
1) I'm not sure Cordish is that aware of what we want or need downtown....it's nice to say. In what ways do you find they get this knowledge?

2) Plowboys is a pretty good addition for bbq...but yeah something in Famous Dave's would be nice.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Plow Boys, Jack Stack, Winslow's, Three Little Pigs. So there's four downtown today.

Since BBQ is our fame, probably could support Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and Joe's along the streetcar and everyone would do well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:Yard house and Flying Saucer both do very well on their own. Yard house sees more family sit down traffic, while Flying Saucer gets the loyal beer fans, but not a ton of families.

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed, but the Midland/Indie were originally planned to be a House of Blues. It didn't work out, and I'm glad because The Midland/AEG who are 50% partners with Cordish brings in a great mix of talent.

The Kill Devil Club was designed as a jazz lounge, complete with baby grand piano. It could never get any traction, even with great live jazz on the weekends. It's changed and now it's more of a house music vibe in there.

Cordish is aware of what people want and what downtown needs. They're not anti-nation chains by any means, but they want to make sure it's a solid mix of national chains, locally operated concepts and internal concepts. My personal #1 wish is for a local BBQ joint to go in the old Famous Daves space. Jack Stack, Joes etc. It's insane there's no A-level BBQ in PNL, but I do know Cordish has been actively seeking out local BBQ operators in hopes to make a deal happen.
1) I'm not sure Cordish is that aware of what we want or need downtown....it's nice to say. In what ways do you find they get this knowledge?

2) Plowboys is a pretty good addition for bbq...but yeah something in Famous Dave's would be nice.

Most all of their employees that I've worked with are all local, including their marketing director. Also, several of their employees are downtown residents. I wouldn't be surprised if the main Cordish guy here locally frequented this forum ;). He has a great pulse on this city and what will/won't work. I know he runs every potential tenant by several local employees as well as his superiors before getting too far into it.

They've proven they're not interested in just taking the easy money by letting a space sit empty for months. People approach them all the time with the finances, but it's not a good fit for the area for one reason or another.

Plow boys is nice, don't get me wrong. I just feel like we need one of the big 3/4 players in town to have a downtown location.
Bigger surveys of all downtown residents/workers would be nicer and get them a better idea than just anecdotal stories from people that probably just moved downtown when they started at Cordish.

So if there are Cordish officials observing....we need more amenities....I use CVS at 10th but a pharmacy would be good in P&L. As would a more mainstream clothing store. A donut shop. A mainstream fast food place that kept consistent hours. An upscale mediterranean place. Downtown residents are missing a lot of things still and Cordish has the connections to bring in some bigger retailers that would help.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

fast food lunch goers and sit down lunch goers are completely two different lunch crowds.

Something like a gap I think would work....
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:fast food lunch goers and sit down lunch goers are completely two different lunch crowds.

Something like a gap I think would work....
I honestly don't see a clothing only (non-sports) retail story being highly successful just yet. Maybe after three light gets open?

I'm down here every single day around the lunch hour and see many people try to go to a sit down and end up doing chipotle or BK if the sit downs are busy. A powerhouse like McDonalds would do some damage I'm afraid.
i often leave chipotle if the line is much past the coke machine because i can get food and back to the office faster at bars

having said that, normal lunch goers and myself are two completely different lunch crowds