Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Postby StrangerThings » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:05 pm

They do surveys and plenty of research. A downtown mainstream clothing store would be great but I believe they don't feel the district can support it at this point. A small target store with a pharmacy would be perfect. A McDonald's would be great, but would really hurt the weekday lunch business for sit down places. The Burger King is a complete joke with piss poor management, swap the BK out for a McDonald's and we are looking good.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 pm

fast food lunch goers and sit down lunch goers are completely two different lunch crowds.

Something like a gap I think would work....

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 pm

KCPowercat wrote:fast food lunch goers and sit down lunch goers are completely two different lunch crowds.

I honestly don't see a clothing only (non-sports) retail story being highly successful just yet. Maybe after three light gets open?

I'm down here every single day around the lunch hour and see many people try to go to a sit down and end up doing chipotle or BK if the sit downs are busy. A powerhouse like McDonalds would do some damage I'm afraid.

wahoowa
Pad site
Pad site

Postby wahoowa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:fast food lunch goers and sit down lunch goers are completely two different lunch crowds.

I honestly don't see a clothing only (non-sports) retail story being highly successful just yet. Maybe after three light gets open?

I'm down here every single day around the lunch hour and see many people try to go to a sit down and end up doing chipotle or BK if the sit downs are busy. A powerhouse like McDonalds would do some damage I'm afraid.

i often leave chipotle if the line is much past the coke machine because i can get food and back to the office faster at bars

having said that, normal lunch goers and myself are two completely different lunch crowds

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

ST...I know your focus is p&l but don't forget all of downtown has grown...So a clothing store isn't going to succeed or fail based on one cordish tower.

As a drone office lunch person, I can tell you...The decisions made by groups for lunch isn't fast food vs. Bristol.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby aknowledgeableperson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 am

When you consider the number of clothing retailers completely closing its stores or reducing the number of stores I doubt you will see a chain coming soon.

taxi
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Postby taxi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 am

RD4L would rock the P&L.

grovester
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby grovester » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 am

taxi wrote:RD4L would rock the P&L.

I've seen stranger things.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:30 am

aknowledgeableperson wrote:When you consider the number of clothing retailers completely closing its stores or reducing the number of stores I doubt you will see a chain coming soon.

It's just the 'outdated' ones. Most branded clothing stores are trends so may only have 5 to maybe 10 year lifespan, at least at a broad scale. But then more popup, not really a biggy for retail spaces as rotation is expected. Downtown needs more clothing/apparel stores whether in P&L or not, whether brand stores or not.

And yeah downtown could use one that sells cheap clothing (ahem, like Ross). I was in Denver years ago for an IT training class, didn't have a jacket with me and was windy/chillier than expected. Was able to pickup a cheap light windbreaker at Ross (gasp) while staying downtown. Consentino's could carry some cheap wind/rain gear, emergency socks/underwear for visitors, etc.. Many general retailers of any kind across downtown need to also sell cheap small umbrellas, including coffee shops. I've noticed in NYC most any kind of retailer will sell umbrellas (shown in window) useful to pickup if a rainstorm appears unexpectedly - and it brings people into a store who may not otherwise ever check it out.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:14 pm

KCPowercat wrote:ST...I know your focus is p&l but don't forget all of downtown has grown...So a clothing store isn't going to succeed or fail based on one cordish tower.

As a drone office lunch person, I can tell you...The decisions made by groups for lunch isn't fast food vs. Bristol.

I'm more referring to fast food vs Johhnys, Mcfaddens etc. If you look at what clothing stores work now, they work for very specific reasons. Joseph Bank works because of all the downtown business folks. Rally House works because it's sports and we have enough events downtown to drive traffic. The garment district is an awesome little store that does well but the GM tells me most of her business comes from the tourist market still. Even taking into consideration all of downtown, I just don't think we are ready at this point to support a mainstream clothing store. Just my opionion and I wouldn't be mad if I was wrong!

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:17 pm

grovester wrote:
taxi wrote:RD4L would rock the P&L.

I've seen stranger things.

I've been waiting for this!

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Jones store made it for decades with a much worse off downtown.

smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Postby smh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:48 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:ST...I know your focus is p&l but don't forget all of downtown has grown...So a clothing store isn't going to succeed or fail based on one cordish tower.

I'm more referring to fast food vs Johhnys, Mcfaddens etc. If you look at what clothing stores work now, they work for very specific reasons. Joseph Bank works because of all the downtown business folks. Rally House works because it's sports and we have enough events downtown to drive traffic. The garment district is an awesome little store that does well but the GM tells me most of her business comes from the tourist market still. Even taking into consideration all of downtown, I just don't think we are ready at this point to support a mainstream clothing store. Just my opionion and I wouldn't be mad if I was wrong!

Agreed, though I too wouldn't be mad if you were wrong. ;)

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Not sure we can claim rally house works after a month in business. I personally think they should have went next to jos a bank but nobody asked me not cares

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Not sure we can claim rally house works after a month in business. I personally think they should have went next to jos a bank but nobody asked me not cares

It's been doing solid and consistent business, even the entire month after big 12 and NCAA. The corner of 14th and Grand was the only space with the square footage they require.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:09 pm

It definitely is a big store. Hoping they tweak their content some...I don't see them selling that much ku basketball gear all year round. More KC themed stuff would do well.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

KCPowercat wrote:It definitely is a big store. Hoping they tweak their content some...I don't see them selling that much ku basketball gear all year round. More KC themed stuff would do well.

Agree. If they're really smart and have a good GM, they'll stay on top of the downtown event and convention calendar. With high school and college volleyball around the last few weeks for example. Stock some stuff related to those teams and conferences. Hang a flag outside that makes those guests feel welcomed and invited them in. I just bought a really cool Kansas City shirt last week from there but the selection is too small.

Return to “Power & Light District”