What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If we were going down the Chicken road I would love to see a Popeyes! I love their biscuits.

I would settle for anything but KFC. That place needs to burn and go to hell.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: What about Eddy's Loaf n' Stein?
Do these places even still exist?  There use to be one at Ward Parkway Shopping center a looooong time ago. 

By the way, outside of Gimme Sum and Bristol, what is the "for sure" list of restaurants already decided for the P&L District?  Seems strange that this project has been around pretty long now and still no mass naming of tenants.  I hope HRC is still in the running, not crazy about their food but they are a somewhat prestgious outfit and would bring a bit of instant credibility to the district (in other words, Cordish has no reason not to announce any tenant that is going to help sign on others). 
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You guys all keep talking about Jack in the Box and White Castle like they're awesome.  But they're only truly awesome when one is drunk.  Have you ever eaten them for lunch (...when not drunk, if you get drunk for lunch)?  They're pretty gross when compared to Wendy's or Burger King.

If we're talking about a small, good old stand-by fast food restaurant for Power and Light District--the new little jewel of the city--wouldn't you want something more palletable then a White Castle or a Jack in the Box?  I'd be a little embarrased having those things at like, 13th Walnut.

A few blocks off The District would be perfect for them, but not IN it.

At least that's what I think.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

High check the thread pinned on top for official tenants
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Highlander wrote: Do these places even still exist?  There use to be one at Ward Parkway Shopping center a looooong time ago.

By the way, outside of Gimme Sum and Bristol, what is the "for sure" list of restaurants already decided for the P&L District?  Seems strange that this project has been around pretty long now and still no mass naming of tenants.  I hope HRC is still in the running, not crazy about their food but they are a somewhat prestgious outfit and would bring a bit of instant credibility to the district (in other words, Cordish has no reason not to announce any tenant that is going to help sign on others). 
The ones that are official were announced by the tenant (e.g. AMC, Bristol, Cosentino's). Cordish has been tight-lipped. I'm sure they tell prospective tenants who they've already signed even though they won't make those names public.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was just on the Gimme Sum website. 

i noticed that many locations are "coming soon" but basically only a couple are currently open (i only saw Vegas as being open right now). 

also, for Kansas it said that Olathe and Legends locations are "coming soon."  thus, the P+L outlet may be the first KC area location, but it looks like it won't be the last.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

It looks like the KC area has 3 of the 16 planned or already opened Gimme Sum restaurants in the country. It looks like this restaurant is going to take off pretty fast though so I expect to see their overall numbers rise dramatically in the next few years.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I just had lunch at this place in Chicago this week. I think it could be a hit in KC:

Weber Grill Restaurant
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Like mentioned in a previous post, the restaurant should be a mix of high end, middle, and less expensive places.  The lucrative lunch crowd of employees downtown will be a major part of these new eateries income.

The Original SoupMan -  Al Yeganeh started this soup kitchen in 1984.  It's famous for the long lines and inspired the character of "The Soup Nazi" on TV's Seinfeld.
There already is one in the STL area, this would be a cool match for downtown.  http://www.originalsoupman.com

Nathan's Famous - The original from Coney Island since 1916.  I ate at one in Las Vegas and Fort Lauderdale.  Who could say no to this location in KC?  Another lunch draw or a bite after the theater.  http://www.nathansfamous.com

Ninfa's - This is one of the most iconic TexMex restaurants in Texas.  She is the one that introduced the fajita and tacos al carbon to the masses.  Before TexMex was basically enchiladas, rice, and beans.  Ninfa Laurenzo was an important figure in Texas as a philanthropist, businesswoman, and made a keynote speech for the 1988 Republican Convention, she was also selected as an envoy to The Vatican.  Sadly she died in 2001 after a long bout with cancer.

She has locations all over Houston.  There also locations in Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, and Waco, and several other locations in TX and LA.

http://www.mamaninfas.com
http://www.twu.edu/TWHF/tw-laurenzo.htm (about Ninfa, herself)

Lawry's The Prime Rib - A mecca for the movie stars in America cinema's "golden age" in the 1930s on La Cienega Blvd. in 90210.  And the home of the famous seasoning salt, this place is a classic.
I ate at the one in Chicago and in Beverly Hills and I promise you this is one fantastic place to eat.  This place is the one that designed the silver carving wagons used at many upscale restaurants with prime rib.  The store has several exclusive locations,  Beverly Hills, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas, and several international locations.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprimerib.asp

Il Fornaio - A nice Italian chain out of California.  Even being a chain their food is very, very good and a success in every market that go into.  They have locations in all over CA and in NV, and WA.  I have been to the one in San Francisco's Levi Plaza.  http://www.ilfornaio.com

Crocodile Cafe - Another casual/elegant restaurant chain out of California.  The link should tell you this is a fantastic place to eat.  They have locations in San Diego, Pasadena, Glendale, and Tempe AZ.      http://www.crocodilecafe.com   

Hamburger Mary's  This VERY gay friendly place that is always a blast to go to.  You will never be disappointed with the food or atmosphere (gay or straight).  Locations all across the nation including  San Diego (Hillcrest), Fort Lauderdale (Wilton Manors),  Chicago,  Sacramento, West Hollywood, Newport Beach CA, Palm Springs, Cincinnati, Denver, and a location under construction in Minneapolis.  Franchises are available in Phoenix, Philadelphia, Long Beach, and Washington D.C.
Check out the website, it's great:    http://www.hamburgermarys.net

Too bad my Ambien prescription ran out.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Sounds like you want to Californiacate Kansas City :D Hamburger Mary's in downtown Kansas City :shock: You may be pushing that one!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

They all look pretty appetizing except for Hamburger Mary's. I think the Nathan's hot dog place would do really good business, especially if it stayed open 24 hours. That way it could serve the late-night drunks.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Careful there on the unique and creative thinking, GuyInLenexa.

Let's just stick with the tenant list for Village West and Zona Rosa and call er' good.

:o
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

is there still a nathan's in independence?

that place sucked.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Whats wrong with Hamburger Mary's? It looks like a fun place.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

tat2kc wrote: Whats wrong with Hamburger Mary's? It looks like a fun place.
:puke:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

excellent analysis, kcmetro.

i'll take a drag-show burger joint over suburban steakhouses any day.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I hate to admit it, but I was out-of-town this weekend and we chose Longhorn Steakhouse.  It just seemed like a safe choice.  I tend to try neighborhood places in KC, but not out of town.

And usually, i try places here based on personal recommendation.  I guess I'm not that adventurous.  And I'd bet the businessman in from Atlanta isn't, either.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: And usually, i try places here based on personal recommendation.  I guess I'm not that adventurous.  And I'd bet the businessman in from Atlanta isn't, either.
That's pretty much my experience too.  When I travel on business, I either go for something that I know about (aka chain) or try to get good recommendations from people I trust.  When travelling in the US, I generally want something that is not going to be a major pain in the ass to get to and it has to be what is commonly acknowledged as a decent neighborhood

Back in KC, I rarely take on the chains.....too many quality local places I know about and want to try. 
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if i know i am going to another city next week, i'll invest 12 minutes on yahoo citysearch or google and find out what's good - then go there, unless it's 45 minutes from the hotel or whatever. 

going to another city and eating at Chili's is just ridiculous IMO unless you literally get dragged there by the group. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

chrizow wrote: if i know i am going to another city next week, i'll invest 12 minutes on yahoo citysearch or google and find out what's good - then go there, unless it's 45 minutes from the hotel or whatever. 

going to another city and eating at Chili's is just ridiculous IMO unless you literally get dragged there by the group. 
you gotta remember it is all about time for these people. there have been times when i was on business outta town, and even though i am all about the food, and i have always done my research, i have like all of 45 minutes, and i am thinking something quick that i know.

me personally, when i am out of town i want to try new stuff, especially stuff that is reccomended or nationally famous or something, but, i also want to enjoy it. take my time, savor it, try many courses, etc. if i have 45 minutes, fuck it, hooters wings sound okay, especially, since i am going to be pissed off if i tried something new and hated it.

if that is the case when i have time, again, fuck it, i am going to go get those wings.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D