Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, not Cordish related)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, not Cordish related)

Post by Gretz »

Cheffreygo wrote: I wonder how long the groundbreaking process will be.  It seems like they would be raring to go.
I spoke with someone closely associated with this project a couple of months ago and they seemed pretty gung-ho about moving along with things, as evidenced by their paying such an exhorbitant price for Old Republic instead of going through condemnation procedures to save money but lose time.  He made it sound like they hoped to start demo ASAP after the purchase, which was made a little over a month ago.  I'm guessing, and I really don't know at all, that the purchase price might have become public because of the demo permitting process?  If so we might see movement on the properties sooner rather than later, I would hope.
      Tangentally, I wonder if these moves will light a fire under Cordish to get moving with their tower.  The prize of first to market with some new product right next to the district, especially after it will have been open presumably for over a year, could create a little bit of competition...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Gretz wrote:        Tangentally, I wonder if these moves will light a fire under Cordish to get moving with their tower.  The prize of first to market with some new product right next to the district, especially after it will have been open presumably for over a year, could create a little bit of competition...
This is a very good thought.  Wouldn't it be nice?!  I think with all they have going on, it might be unlikely but definitely wishful thinking.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I imagine it is the parking more than the condos that is motivating Gailoyd to get this thing built.  A renovated P&L Building probably isn't very marketable (unfortunately) without parking.  

It's good to see the parties come to an agreement without condemnation.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

PumpkinStalker wrote: This is a very good thought.  Wouldn't it be nice?!  I think with all they have going on, it might be unlikely but definitely wishful thinking.
I think the condo/hotel tower timing has less to do with staffing at Cordish and much more to do with the realities of City Hall and the current residential market.  I am confident that it will get off the ground in the next few months and be very sucessful.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

There was an old SUV driving on the roof of the Old Republic building this morning.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

staubio wrote: There was an old SUV driving on the roof of the Old Republic building this morning.
for real? why on earth would that be necessary? was it a white bronco?  :shock:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it was gloria squitiro.  she heard that there was some good muddin' to be had up yonder.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

chrizow wrote: it was gloria squitiro.  she heard that there was some good muddin' to be had up yonder.
HAHA!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chrizow wrote: it was gloria squitiro.  she heard that there was some good muddin' to be had up yonder.
Why don't you stop being such an elite snob.  Gloria is a human being just like the rest of us, and if there's good muddin to be had up there, then I say strap in and hold on!
&
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KC-wildcat wrote: Why don't you stop being such an elite snob.  Gloria is a human being just like the rest of us, and if there's good muddin to be had up there, then I say strap in and hold on!
&
Look at that! It is my underpants! You can eat them!  :P
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote: Look at that! It is my underpants! You can eat them!  :P
Hey!  Look at that!  A comeback from the early '90s!  Nice work! :| 

MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Has anyone seen any price specs on these units?  I emailed last week but have yet to hear anything.  I think that the SE corner Plaza or Brookside units are the most enticing.  Do you know if they have (or are planning on having) a sales office with model units?  I currently live at WST but would love to upgrade to a place with a balcony. 

Also, does anyone know who to contact at Cordish to try to get in on their new condos as an initial investor?  Maybe it is still to early to do that but I know that it is cheaper to get in early than to wait until the building is built. 

www.pandlcondos.com
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Still a lot pending and key decisions being made on final details but list is forming at...

http://www.powerandlightliving.com
MightyKC wrote: Has anyone seen any price specs on these units?  I emailed last week but have yet to hear anything.  I think that the SE corner Plaza or Brookside units are the most enticing.  Do you know if they have (or are planning on having) a sales office with model units?  I currently live at WST but would love to upgrade to a place with a balcony. 

Also, does anyone know who to contact at Cordish to try to get in on their new condos as an initial investor?  Maybe it is still to early to do that but I know that it is cheaper to get in early than to wait until the building is built. 

www.pandlcondos.com
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCTigerFan wrote: Still a lot pending and key decisions being made on final details but list is forming at...

http://www.powerandlightliving.com
Do you know if the second tower on the former Jones Store block has been nixed or does that still depend on the way the residential market goes?
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

One large tower planned on Jones block.  Possible towers/mid-rise on Mainstreet Theater and two surface lots.
Pork Chop wrote: Do you know if the second tower on the former Jones Store block has been nixed or does that still depend on the way the residential market goes?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Not the same tower. This is the tower by the P&L building.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCTigerFan wrote: One large tower planned on Jones block.  Possible towers/mid-rise on Mainstreet Theater and two surface lots.
Good to know...thanks.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Not the same tower. This is the tower by the P&L building.
My mistake. Should have read the title.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/528697.html
Wrecking ball will signal start of Power & Light condos
By KEVIN COLLISON
The Kansas City Star
Demolition of the Old Republic Title Co. building at 13th and Baltimore streets is scheduled to begin next week, clearing the way for a proposed 18-story condominium tower.
That's this project, right?  I get all of these proposed towers confused.  Anyway, good to see this one moving forward given the current housing market.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yup, yup...good news.  And positive quote from Cordish on their tower.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc