"Truman Blvd"??

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by kucer »

The momentum of things going on downtown is impressive!! =D>

Posted on Sat, Nov. 06, 2004

‘TRUMAN BOULEVARD' WOULD TIE IT ALL TOGETHER

Plan outlines vision for unified downtown

By RICK ALM The Kansas City Star

Architects working for the city have unveiled a bold vision for downtown redevelopment that unifies major projects already under way and adds new pieces to the dream.

A centerpiece among the new ideas is a redesigned four-block stretch of Truman Road, unofficially dubbed “Truman Boulevard,â€
KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

This idea is awsome!!

Looking at the model, the hotel will be going up, not out, and at the height of the P&L Building (well, close to it, probably over 400ft tall)

The skyscraper hotel is to the left, bartle hall would have a new glass entrance, and the P&L tower is to the right...
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by tat2kc »

These are only suggestons, nothing more. They are looking 10 years out. Don't get excited about another tall building downtown yet, Devin.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by LCDSI »

KCDevin wrote:This idea is awsome!!

Looking at the model, the hotel will be going up, not out, and at the height of the P&L Building (well, close to it, probably over 400ft tall)

The skyscraper hotel is to the left, bartle hall would have a new glass entrance, and the P&L tower is to the right...
Is there any way you could expand the picture? I can barely see the picture. It would be good if KC got another highrise.
KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

tat, still, this has a good chance of happening... I don't care how long till they plan to build this... It has a sure chance of happening...

I know they won't be able to pull this off in the next few years... But still, this is a real idea and still has a good chance of happening.

"These are all only suggestions. There's nothing in stone. Right now this may be one of the better options. But in some cases we're talking 10 years out--maybe less."

And with all the support they are getting from local landowners and city hall officials, this could very well happen in less than 10 years ;)

Instead of "Thinking Big"... We need to be "Thinking Bigger."

Hence the reason for my recent ideas ;)
thedream
Strip mall
Strip mall

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by thedream »

It is brilliant and the next logical step in securing downtown for not just the near future but in the really long term. It also provide unique loctions to attract other major corprations into downtown KC without clashing on one another providing them with their own spaces in the area and in the skyline.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by Highlander »

thedream wrote:It is brilliant and the next logical step in securing downtown for not just the near future but in the really long term. It also provide unique loctions to attract other major corprations into downtown KC without clashing on one another providing them with their own spaces in the area and in the skyline.
And it solves one of the most glaring problems in DT's geography in an incredibly clever way.....the gulf created by interstate on the southern boundary. Rather than put buildings on top of it which can be very expensive, reroute Truman Road. Brilliant.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by trailerkid »

Here is a review of unreal plan put forth by HNTB...

-- 1000 room hotel near Bartle Hall

-- New grand entrance for Bartle Hall facing 14th Street creating a western bookend for 14th Street while the Sprint Center will be the western bookend.

-- Cover the 670 loop and rebuild Truman Road over the top with condos and sidewalk cafes lining the boulevard.

-- Upgrade the Music Hall to compete for nationally touring stage shows.

-- Expand Bartle's main exhibition space to the southwest creating one continuous area instead of building to the southwest as previously proposed.

-- Shave off the south wall of Barney Allis Plaza with a redesign to fit in with the Muncipal Auditorium. Barney Allis would become a pocket park for outdoor events with the west side of the park housing boutiques and an escalator to the second floor of Bartle.

Pray this plan happens...it would do a world of good for downtown and surely mean billions more in downtown investment.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by tat2kc »

No doubt it is an awesome plan. Paying for it is another issue. Covering the loop is something I could see Federal Highway dollars used for. That, by far, would be the most costly of all the proposed projects. The others, except for the hotel, could be done with private donations from some of the high profile families/philanthropies in town.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah this needs to be paid for by the feds. What an awesome plan
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by ComandanteCero »

i think the federal government should provide money to repair and refashion interstate highways that have ruined and divided urban areas. I think we as a nation could definitely agree on that..............that way we could get fed money to cover the Truman Boulevard costs and some day do something similar to the gap between downtown and the rivermarke (i don't know if it would be a boulevard, seems kind of wide, but maybe as a parkway? anywho)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by Tosspot »

ComandanteCero wrote:i think the federal government should provide money to repair and refashion interstate highways that have ruined and divided urban areas. I think we as a nation could definitely agree on that..............that way we could get fed money to cover the Truman Boulevard costs and some day do something similar to the gap between downtown and the rivermarke (i don't know if it would be a boulevard, seems kind of wide, but maybe as a parkway? anywho)
The traffic engineers and the sprawl lobby will likely crusade against such a plan, but the idea does have merit though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCPowercat »

ST. Louis is expecting highway funds for their lid.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/stlouis ... cus10.html

This is a one or two block proposal and they've estimated costs at $40M.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by Pork Chop »

"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Deleted User

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCMax »

Architects working for the city
How cool would it be to have this job right now?
"I won't say I'm skeptical," Marvel said, "but Kansas City is half the size of St. Louis and has a third of the airline connections. The new hotel looks good on paper, but people forget we're still a 2.5 million (population) metropolitan region that's growing at 3 percent."
2000 Census:
St. Louis 348, 149
Kansas City 441,545

1997 Census Estimates, Metro Area:
St. Louis 2,557,806
Kansas City 1,709,273

Half???

1990-1997 Census Estimate Metropolitan Net Change:
St. Louis 65,458 3 percent
Kansas City 126,399 8 percent

Well, at least he's right about the 3 percent.

KCI 2003 Passengers: 9,340,297
STL 2003 Passengers: 20,431,132

A third???
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KC0KEK »

Getting federal funds to pay for this project will require somebody in Congress with clout and connections. Does KC have that?

We'd also have to make a compelling case for it. I don't think that the feds can be guilted into providing it. After all, KC and other cities were lined up during the Eisnhower days to make sure that the interstates didn't bypass them. It's not as if they were something that the feds just rammed through on their own.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCMax »

Getting federal funds to pay for this project will require somebody in Congress with clout and connections. Does KC have that?
Missouri Senator Kit Bond (R)
Committees:
Appropriations [Senate]
Environment & Public Works [Senate]

Health, Education, Labor & Pensions [Senate]
Select Committee on Intelligence [Senate]
Small Business and Entrepreneurship [Senate]
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

Right now we are at 2 million, not 2.5 million, and STL is at 2.8 million...

From 1,775,000 in 2000 to 2,000,000 in 2004 is a big jump, but of course, we added 4 more counties (2 of which don't really even have the population of even KCK).

In 2010, we will be at 2.2 million at best... (and at least 2.1 million)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by GRID »

This "region" is 2.5 million, which is actually very similar to the StL "region" of 2.8 million.