Will Sprint Arena (as seen in render.) be a KC icon?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Will Sprint Arena (as seen in render.) be a KC icon?

Post by moderne »

According to Arby's(in their BBQ sandwich TV ad) Nichols fountain is the KC icon, while Memphis had a Mississippi river arch bridge, and Texas has nothing but a Texas shaped "welcome to Texas" sign as an icon.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMax wrote: I don't know, its not a big deal and maybe its better to have a lot of cool minor icons than one big icon. 
Uhh...we have one big icon.

Hello!
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Uhh...we have one big icon.

Hello!
I hate to be a KC self-defeatist, but Cape Girardeau has a double span cable-stayed bridge. Thereby reducing the iconic status of our icon, despite its web domain's suggestion to the contrary. Thus I believe the Christopher S. Bond (I just threw up in my mouth a little) Bridge only qualifies as a minor icon, albeit a beautiful one.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There is one at West Alton and also north of Hannibal and a new I-70 cable stay at St Louis.  All double spans.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I think the Nelson's new addition can be seen as a KC icon...at least in the architecture community.  When it's done, obviously the PAC will become our real defining icon  :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: I think the Nelson's new addition can be seen as a KC icon...at least in the architecture community.  When it's done, obviously the PAC will become our real defining icon  :D
Isn't Holl's design a little too complex and conceptual to truly be an icon for locals? I would say it's an architectural icon for the city, but not really a populist icon like the Sprint Center or Union Station. I doubt you see very many people that drive down Oak, jump out, and snap a picture in front in front of one of his lenses (unless he/she is an arch/design buff).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: I doubt you see very many people that drive down Oak, jump out, and snap a picture in front in front of one of his lenses (unless he/she is an arch/design buff).
i actually have seen people do this several times, on rockhill or 45th street.  i drive in this area 15 times per week.  i bet i observe a photo op at least twice a month.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i actually have seen people do this several times, on rockhill or 45th street.  i drive in this area 15 times per week.  i bet i observe a photo op at least twice a month.
just curious. are they in front of the Bloch building or the original Nelson?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: just curious. are they in front of the Bloch building or the original Nelson?
the Bloch building, though i'm sure they end up taking photos of the original as well.  no idea whether they are locals or tourists, of course. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: the Bloch building, though i'm sure they end up taking photos of the original as well.  no idea whether they are locals or tourists, of course.  
i guess my OMFG excitement about all that the Nelson does (both architecturally, collection wise, admission wise) I've never really felt shared by many in KC. and i don't think the Bloch Building is money shot ready except maybe at night.

i wouldn't be suprised at all if tourists specifically went to the Bloch to take pictures of themselves next to a Steven Holl "masterpiece." how many compared to those that take pics at Sprint Center, Crown Center, Union Station...? the function of the icon definitely matters which is a larger discussion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: no idea whether they are locals or tourists, of course. 
Almost certainly terrorists.  Better report them to the FBI next time so they can confiscate their cameras and tap their phones. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Almost certainly terrorists.  Better report them to the FBI next time so they can confiscate their cameras and tap their phones. 
not completely a joke. ask anyone that tries to photograph too close to the Fed at Penn Valley.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There are lots of strollers at dusk walking around the lenses at dusk on almost any pleasant evening.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moderne wrote: There are lots of strollers at dusk walking around the lenses at dusk on almost any pleasant evening.
do you think this is a "known" tourist attraction? like a concierge or CVB official would tell someone to see the lenses @ the Nelson at dusk?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: do you think this is a "known" tourist attraction? like a concierge or CVB official would tell someone to see the lenses @ the Nelson at dusk?
if it isn't yet, i expect that it will be.  the lenses have had more media exposure than anything in KC in the past couple of years.  i can't really say what a CVB official would say (i picture them to be like AKP), but i would hope that any hotel concierge would know about and mention it - particularly in plaza hotels.  

we always make a point to show the lenses to out of town guests when they are illuminated at night.  i am sure we are not alone - it's probably the most striking nighttime scene i can think of in KC.  even better after a fresh snow!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: if it isn't yet, i expect that it will be.  the lenses have had more media exposure than anything in KC in the past couple of years.  i can't really say what a CVB official would say (i picture them to be like AKP), but i would hope that any hotel concierge would know about and mention it - particularly in plaza hotels.  

we always make a point to show the lenses to out of town guests when they are illuminated at night.  i am sure we are not alone - it's probably the most striking nighttime scene i can think of in KC.  even better after a fresh snow!
hmmm. good to know. seems like more a "see the lenses" movement could happen in the city. perhaps even like a piggyback to the Plaza lights.

the proposal to better 47th/Emmanuel Cleaver would really help the Nelson. all pedestrian traffic seems to stop at the JC Nichols fountain...should be pedestrians all the way down to the Nelson.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

trailerkid wrote: i guess my OMFG excitement about all that the Nelson does (both architecturally, collection wise, admission wise) I've never really felt shared by many in KC. and i don't think the Bloch Building is money shot ready except maybe at night.

i wouldn't be suprised at all if tourists specifically went to the Bloch to take pictures of themselves next to a Steven Holl "masterpiece." how many compared to those that take pics at Sprint Center, Crown Center, Union Station...? the function of the icon definitely matters which is a larger discussion.
That tide is turning. Same thing happened with the Shuttle Cocks. They we pretty much despised by the city when they went in. Now I think there would be a riot if you tried to remove them. They are one of the cities icons.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

shinatoo wrote: That tide is turning. Same thing happened with the Shuttle Cocks. They we pretty much despised by the city when they went in. Now I think there would be a riot if you tried to remove them. They are one of the cities icons.
:lol:

it's funny how that works. it's generally true for anything new in the US:

"WE HAAAAATE IT!! IT'S GOING TO RUIN _________"

it happens/is built/enacted.

"well, i guess it wasn't that bad."

10 years pass

"Don't EVEN think about changing it. We want to keep it just how it is."

Quite amazing to think about the lack of thought put into new ideas just so one can voice opposition/displeasure.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not just the US, or the modern age, look back to Athens and the Parthenon.  Just human nature.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

there was originally talk of the Sprint Center having a video wall which never materialized. check out Frank Gehry's IAC Building in NYC:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t ... ak-11.html