OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Post by Maitre D »

When you look at the condo towers, it seems these will rise high enough to cover the lit President Hotel sign.  I think it looks great when you drive in on I-35 or down Main Street.  But is anyone else hopeful that the condo due south won't completely cover up the lights?

[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

When is that condo tower slated to break ground?  Any timetable estimates?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

How about having a condo across from the sign, you would be like Kramer when Kenny Rodgers Chicken moved in across the street.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Those drawings are just place holders.  We don't know what sort of condos may go in on the Truman side.  Everything I had heard indicated that that those would be the last pieces built and their scale would be dependant on the success of the earlier parts of the project.  Also - that rendering was done before AMC signed on to develop the Empire on that block so odds are the plans for that area may have changed dramatically. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

In the event that the condos south of the President block the sign, I vote we start a charitable fund to hoist the President sign high enough to be visible.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

shinatoo wrote: How about having a condo across from the sign, you would be like Kramer when Kenny Rodgers Chicken moved in across the street.
Kramer(unfurling a bedsheet that says, "Bad Chicken" in spray paint, under his window): Hey! Stay away from the chicken! Bad! Bad Chicken! Mess you up!
Jerry's friend: That's not going to be good for business.
Jerry: That's not gonna be good for anybody.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I finally went to the Drum Room last night and then explored the hotel afterwards.   The Drum Room was a slight letdown and they only had about 4 beers available and a very limited selection of other drinks but I also knew going in it's not "really" open yet.  It was obvious that it's a very very soft opening and that this has the potential to be a really kick-ass place once it's completely finished.  There was still some construction going on in the bigger back room.   I did find myself wondering how anyone ever managed to fit in the front room (the only part open right now) at all when the old drum-shaped bar was in there.

Photos don't do the interior of the hotel justice, if you haven't seen it yet in person, you need to go over there and see it for yourself.    I explored floors LL, L, M, 2, 7, 12, and 13.     Even places that should be boring are beautiful.   Generic meeting rooms look great.   The main ballroom on 12 is specatular, and even though the lights were off I could tell that the restaurant between the lobby and the mezzanie looks great.    The lobby is just flat out killer.  The Aztec Room was locked but I found another way to sneak into it... it's lights were on and it's beyond words.  That ceiling... wow.

I also like what they have done with the new rear entrance of the hotel... it's going totie into the entertainment district very well.

Since the last time I physically stood at the intersection of 14th & Baltimore was not long after the water main break, the transformation is spectacular.    If the rest of the entertainment district ends up even half as cool as this corner it's going to be incredible.   I can't want to see it with the AMC Empire open on the other corner.   The intersection is charming, bright, exciting, ornate.   
Last edited by scooterj on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, I *really* hope they get some beer taps in there, or else I won't really consider it.
CrossroadsKid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CrossroadsKid »

The bartender when I was there said she didn't know where they would put beer taps!  Wouldn't that be something you would have planned for a BAR of all things? 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Beer needs to lose its undue reputation as a pedestrian beverage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Went to the president tonight.....few things.  They pour strong drinks....but if they are going to bill the bar as a big part of the hotel, they need to keep the Drum open until at least 1:30.  As we left tonight, people were coming in and the bartender was telling them they had already called last call.  Not good business for a new bar.

Not that I blame a hotel bar for closing before then but if you are going to bill the bar alongside the hotel, you should stay open, even in lean times....maybe they will do this in the summer, but I saw a few people tonight that looked like urbanites that were turned off by being turned away by the bar and may never be back.

I love the atmosphere by the way....the TV's were on, but not in your face....can't wait for the 2nd room to open up.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

How was the crowd that night? 
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

I'll be in KC later this week, and I have a question to those in the know downtown.  I'll be visiting the Hotel President (checking it out with a friend, may hit the Drum Room) and would like to know if there is a semi-sane way to get over there with all of the construction.  I'll be coming up from the south on I-35.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Later,
Sam S.

PS - Talked to another friend in the KC area.  I had sent him the urban explorer pics of the old tunnel, we are planning for a little exploration this summer.  I guess I need to grow up, but I like doing stuff like this in my old age.  It is a lot harder when you gained weight and the knees don't work so good - but the Internet provides access to information for out-of-towners like myself that one would have probably never known about otherwise back when I was younger.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

I-35 North to  BROADWAY, LEFT on Broadway, RIGHT on 12th Street, RIGHT on BALTIMORE, Take Baltimore through 13th Street and either park on the street in front the hotel or in the parking lot directly South of the hotel. 

If no parking is available there, there is a parking lot on the corner of 13th and Wyandotte as well, only a short walk. 
On to the Next One
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Take the exit for 12th St, and take that all the way to Wyandotte or Baltimore, and find a spot. Walking from there is easy.

Taking 12th gets you around the Broadway craziness.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'd actually take the 14th Street exit off I-35.  Veer east on 14th, get in one of the middle lanes, and go under Bartle.  After you pass the traffic light at Wyandotte, park on either side of 14th or in the parking lot to your left at 14th & Wyandotte.  (If it's a weekend or after 6pm, park on 14th and don't pay the meter.)  That puts you a stone's throw away from the hotel and parking is free or at least very cheap.
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

Thanks for all of the help from each of you.  It is appreciated.

I've been looking forward to visiting this place for some time.  I love old/historic buildings and structures.  From what I've seen on this site, and from what I've heard from some old timers that visited the place during part of its heydey, I'm going to enjoy the visit.

Later,
Sam S.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

14th street is the best way... with the way construction is an all, its a straight shot across.  (besides, i dislike the broadway exit for some reason...)
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

sneaked on the thirteenth floor, the place is really cool! kind of small though.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

they could really get better tables for the drum room, those are folding tables and its pretty obvious too.

i took a couple friends who were in town from chicago walking around crossroads and construction sites downtown on saturday, we used to climb all over bulidings and infrastructure when we lived in the same city.
it was a great lazy day, and after standing on the wyandotte bridge over 670 for awhile looking east (seriously its a highpoint in the city) we strolled over to the Drum Room.  they thought the hotel was nice in that it was brought back, but my friends weren't willing to cut the drum room any slack since the building had just barely been saved.  in fact, they thought the drum room was terrible, except for possibly the revolving door.  no tap, crappy tables, and extremely bright light in the afternoon.  they felt like it was a low grade airport bar, and kept asking where the drum was. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton