OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Wow.  That didn't last long. 
that was the original intent. they never intended to keep dinner in the walnut room.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: that was the original intent. they never intended to keep dinner in the walnut room.
So why was it there at all in the first place?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hilton President Hotel developer sues over financing deal

At issue is whether Squire Sanders & Dempsey, one of the biggest law firms in the country with 800 attorneys, fraudulently led the hotel redeveloper to believe that it would receive a $14 million loan from an Ohio mortgage investment banker called H&A Capital to renovate the downtown landmark.

President Hotel LC, the redeveloper, is seeking more than $100 million in damages.

The lawsuit is one of several spawned by early financing difficulties encountered by the hotel redevelopment group, which was led by local developer Ron Jury.

The group eventually got financing and the long-closed structure since has reopened amid downtown’s construction boom.

In its lawsuit, President Hotel contends that Donald Longwell Jr., a now-former Squire Sanders attorney who represented H&A Capital, knew H&A was incapable of making the loan but negotiated the deal to pocket a $10,000 fee. According to President Hotel’s complaint, H&A was not a lender and had no intention of fulfilling its loan commitment.

H&A now appears to be defunct. It was dismissed from the lawsuit earlier.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

yeah i just read that.  the whole deal definitely sounds shady, especially since the same lawyer and "investment company" are being sued in Texas for the same reason.  i think Jury, the President developer, is definitely going out on a limb with his $100,000,000 claim, but i guess that's what complaints are for.  :)

the underlying story is interesting too, that of the Bryan Cave/Squire Sanders merger.  it probably wouldn't have much effect on the 80-lawyer Bryan Cave office in KC, but i suppose anything is possible. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found this old image of the President Hotel on the Kansas City Library web site. Apparently, it used to have peaked mansard towers on the roof.

Last edited by FangKC on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I love those old photos.  :)
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

FangKC wrote: I found this old image of the President Hotel on the Kansas City Library web-site. Apparently, it used to have peaked mansard towers on the roof.

http://www.kclibrary.org/files/images/m ... shotel.jpg

Those mansard roofs are nice, but I still wish that building had been razed for an asphalt surface parking lot.

Ever tried to find a parking spot downtown?

Sheesh.......
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

according to the hotel's facebook page, the drum room is being renovated (pics!):

http://www.facebook.com/hiltonpresidenthotel
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow, why? I thought it was pretty nice. Not really the kind of place I'd spend a lot of time, but in terms of build quality, I thought it was nice.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe its more the restaurant and stage area....not the upper bar that faces the street.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I haven't been for a few years, but as I remember last, the bar area wasn't really well thought out.  The build quality was fine, but there was a really big space hogging table or two next to the bar (and fixed to the ground), and the dining area and band location felt disjointed.  I'm excited to see what they do now. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I agree, if you had a spot at the bar it was fine other wise you felt a bit awkward.  Nothing a couple of drinks couldn't solve though!
Last edited by grovester on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Watch the video they did on the history of the hotel.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1235852551305#
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A mural that was removed from the President Hotel's Drum Room.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 8199331595
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

OFFICIAL - Hotel President

Post by FangKC »

Downtown KC restaurant reopens after more than three years

Providence New American Kitchen closed in March 2020 as Covid-19 lockdowns swept the country. But instead of reopening as restrictions lifted, the restaurant inside the historic Hilton President Kansas City remained dark.

But at the end of September — more than three years after being closed — the Providence made its comeback. It’s akin to opening a new restaurant, Food and Beverage Director Matt McCormack said.
The new menu features staples like steaks and seafood, but it’s also leaning more into the backgrounds of its executive chef, who’s from Mexico, and its kitchen supervisor, who’s from El Salvador. The menu is eclectic and features more Latin American influences as well as fall-inspired dishes, such as butternut squash gnocchi. Providence also is revamping its cocktail menu and has put its spin on the trending espresso martini.

“We’re going with whatever is trending now,” McCormack said, “and what we think people are looking for.”

He said the restaurant now needs to get out word of its return and offerings.

“It can be challenging, especially for a restaurant inside a hotel," he said. "I think sometimes those kind of get lost in the shuffle. People just don’t think to go to a hotel to eat, so you have to highlight it and do more marketing to get the word out, which is what we’re working on right now.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... urant.html