P+L Tenant Rumors

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P+L Tenant Rumors

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: It's not like it's Applebees
Its not really very different from applebees - same test kitchen/boil in a bag food in a slightly spiffier dining room.  They do have good cheesecake - but protip: you can buy it from the counter at the door without having to eat the applebees dinner inside.  
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcmetro wrote: What a bunch of uppity people we have on this board.  Turning your nose up at Cheesecake Factory?  It's not that bad.  And it has damn good cheesecake.  It's not like it's Applebees or Chili's.
The cheesecake is pretty good - but I'm not sure I've ever had bad cheesecake. It's not exactly rocket science.

Overall, the menu has too many options. Which, to me, is a clear indication of a place that does nothing great. The seven or eight meals I've had there have not been bad - but completely forgettable and over-priced. At least the portions are obnoxiously large - so you don't feel like you're getting screwed too bad.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

cheesecake factory is fine when your parents want to take you there or something, but there's really no reason at all to spend your own money to eat there.  i got ahi tuna or something there one time and it tasted like a TV dinner covered in popcorn butter.  as WSPanic said, it's all quantity and no quality.  awesome, i have an enormous mediocre sandwich and a pound of lukewarm fries for $11! 

the cheesecake is good, but who wants to eat a giant piece of cheesecake more than once a year?  (from the success of CF, i guess quite a few, which is nasty!)

that said, i'm fine with some miami entrepreneur wanting to open a "cheesecake factory on steroids" at the P+L.  why not?  
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

WSPanic wrote: The cheesecake is pretty good - but I'm not sure I've ever had bad cheesecake. It's not exactly rocket science.

Overall, the menu has too many options. Which, to me, is a clear indication of a place that does nothing great. The seven or eight meals I've had there have not been bad - but completely forgettable and over-priced. At least the portions are obnoxiously large - so you don't feel like you're getting screwed too bad.
Doing everything good enough and nothing great is the recipe for a successful restaurant in KC.  Especially in the P&L, which gets tons of traffic from out of towners and suburban residents.  I don't think having a high priced restaurant, no matter how good the food is, is what the P&L is trying to do.  How many people going to a concert at the SC are going to stop by a really pricey place beforehand?  What they will want is something they're familiar with, yet a step above Chili's or Applebees or Old Chicago.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: cheesecake factory is fine when your parents want to take you there or something, but there's really no reason at all to spend your own money to eat there.  i got ahi tuna or something there one time and it tasted like a TV dinner covered in popcorn butter.  as WSPanic said, it's all quantity and no quality.  awesome, i have an enormous mediocre sandwich and a pound of lukewarm fries for $11! 

the cheesecake is good, but who wants to eat a giant piece of cheesecake more than once a year?  (from the success of CF, i guess quite a few, which is nasty!)

that said, i'm fine with some miami entrepreneur wanting to open a "cheesecake factory on steroids" at the P+L.  why not?  
Agreed.  I go there maybe once a year, and usually it's when someone else is paying.  I just don't like all the bitching about the P&L getting a restaurant like this.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cheesecake Factory is exactly what it says it is - a factory. And factories produce bland, generic stuff. Nothing wrong with that if you need to please a large party who all want different dishes but aren't particular about quality. And the patio is really nice - at least the one on the Plaza. I'll go once in awhile if I'm not particular about what I'm eating. Its really the perfect fit for P&L, which is mainly targeted towards suburbanites and tourists anyway.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote: What a bunch of uppity people we have on this board.  Turning your nose up at Cheesecake Factory?  It's not that bad.  And it has damn good cheesecake.  It's not like it's Applebees or Chili's.
It would be great for downtown.  One of the busiest places in Chicago is CF and it's not all tourists.  What is with the looking down on places like this?  Downtown KC NEEDS places like that.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

For Christ's sake, they sell a "Tex Mex Egg Roll",  whatever the f' that is.  If you put shit like that on the menu, you forfeit your right to object to being compared to Applebees.  If you are going to offer a "Tex Mex Egg Roll" you might as well go the whole nine yards and sell "Riblets" too.  
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It sounds like the place is exactly the type of "concept" restaurant that is exactly appropriate for the P&L.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro says were snobby then agrees their food isn't great. Okaaayyy

Hate cheesecake factory but it's fine for those who need a safe choice in a scary unknown world.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Hate cheesecake factory but it's fine for those who need a safe choice in a scary unknown world.
There is nothing "safe" about a "Tex Mex Egg Roll".  That's some of the scarriest shit I have ever heard of. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

The thing that got me was Cheesecake Factory on steroids.  I've always thought of the Cheesecake Factory as a restaurant on steroids.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

AJoD wrote: The thing that got me was Cheesecake Factory on steroids.  I've always thought of the Cheesecake Factory as a restaurant on steroids.
It will be the Mark McGwire of restaurants.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Metro says were snobby then agrees their food isn't great. Okaaayyy

Hate cheesecake factory but it's fine for those who need a safe choice in a scary unknown world.
I was just pointing out that it was silly to complain about a CF-type restaurant being in the P&L.  It seems sometimes that people on this forum bitch and moan about which restaurants/bars are in the P&L, and there's a snobbishness to that...as if the people living downtown are too good for CF.  Yeah the food isn't great, but it's okay and isn't what I would consider bad.  And it's exactly the type of place that would be successful in the P&L.

Another backhanded comment for suburban dwellers...KCP's m.o.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCLofts wrote: By pure chance we ran into  a restaurant owner in Miami who will be coming out to KC in a couple weeks to talk to Cordish about opening a Serendipityrestaurant in the P&L.  He described Serendipity as a "Cheesecake Factory on steroids."  Their current location is in NYC and is quite well known.
Guys, this would be a major acquisition for the city--wherever it goes. I lived in NYC for 10 years, and I can say that Serendipity is one of the best, and most famous, restaurants/ice cream shops in the city. Not only do tourists go there, but New Yorkers do as well. It's like a tradition.

Jackie Onassis used to take her kids there. It was their favorite place. It is the Zabar's of ice cream shops.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

why would people complain about a "cheesecake factory on steroids" in a neighborhood that includes such culinary delights of Gordon Biersch, Pizza Bar and Famous Dave's?
dangerboy wrote: It sounds like the place is exactly the type of "concept" restaurant that is exactly appropriate for the P&L.
co-sign.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro....where did I say a word about the suburbs? 

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Metro....where did I say a word about the suburbs? 
Just took your "people who need a safe choice in a scary unknown world" to be a shot at people from the suburbs who don't frequent downtown that often.  It wouldn't be the first time you've used that line to take a shot at the JOCO crowd.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: why would people complain about a "cheesecake factory on steroids" in a neighborhood that includes such culinary delights of Gordon Biersch, Pizza Bar and Famous Dave's?
I think there are still some of us who are looking for our own reason to want to go to P&L.  I enjoy Saucer, Bristol, and Peachtree - but those aren't enough to bring me down there more than once a month tops. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I say quit putting meaning into things that I post that aren't there. People who find safe harbor in known restaurants live everywhere. Clear enough? 

BTW the only true bad food in p&l is famous Dave. Everything else is pretty solid.