When will the residential component of KC Live be built?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

In today's (Aug 19th) Star, there are saying that Cordish is now planning on building a 200-unit residential tower in Phase I because of high demand. From the short preview of the article it sounds like they are still only planning to build one of the five proposed residential towners in Phase I but that's better than nothing. The article says it will most likely be on the old Jones Store block and aprox. 15 stories.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

So we will have only 200 unit towers? Because I know the whole project has 1,200 units proposed...

I just read the article... 5 towers total and all should probably be 15 floors. (Or about the size of American Century's Twin Towers if you want a comparison)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

According to the article it's closer to 1,000 units total. But a 15-story tower on the Jones block next year is great news!

One thing I'm curious about. Since the other 4 towers won't go in until later, will they build the ground-level retail/restaurants in the first phase and add the residential above as the market demands it, or will there be 4 big empty chunks throughout the district?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok in the planned blocks I only see 4 res towers.

2 on 12th & Main
1 on 14th & Main
1 on 14th & Walnut

the one on 14th & main has the restaurants and banquet hall underneath it...and says "phase 1 residential". Would be interesting to see them build this tower on top of restaurants after they open if it isn't built right away.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

this is exciting news! Devin will come up with the exact height of the towers soon, I am sure. ( and he wonders why we think he's obseesed with the hieght of buildings!)

What type of design would you want? traditional, echoing the P&L builidng, or sleek and modern? I'm leaning towards modern, myself. I don't think everything built in the area needs to be a "tribute to KC's past". A sleek, sexy, residential tower would be great addtion to the loop. Now that's something I'd be excited to see Gehry do. A Gehry designed residential tower would sell out before it broke ground I bet.[/i]
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

give me glass.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'd like something modern and glass too. I love seeing glass mixed with the old marble and limestone and that's a perfect spot for more glass.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I'd like to see something more challenging than a glass box. KC architects need to look at Vancouver for some great residential arch. Minneapolis has some good new buildings going up too.

BTW, I wonder if Cordish or others involved in the project monitors this site.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

As long as the res towers are different is all I want. 4 or 5 10-15 story residential buildings will be a perfect foreground for skyline.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I only can give estimated heights based on that residentials are about 10ft (or actually 3m) floor to floor and offices are 4m floor to floor... (and ALL the guys at SSP and SSC know that)

If you look at the plans for the building at 1400 Baltimore (south of the President Hotel) you will see a parking garage on the west side of the block. A tower will be going in on that part of the block...

5 towers total, each about 240-200 units...
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Can someone clear something up for me? The prior posts are a touch ambiguous on this matter. Are there going to be classic mixed-use style ground level shops and restaurants, with apartments above them?

The reason I ask is because I've been salivating for months over some type of New Urbanism infill being built in KC proper.

If this is indeed the case, how will they be integrated with the high rise towers?

I hope these don't come across as dumb questions.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

no such thing as dumbass questions! Yes, I believe that the residential towers will have commercial space on the street levels.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Most of the P&L District is designed for the addition of residential towers above. The towers will be built as demand warrents, which I think will be very soon.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote:Most of the P&L District is designed for the addition of residential towers above. The towers will be built as demand warrents, which I think will be very soon.
How hot is the Kansas City housing market right now? Is there a lot of demand out there for new residences?

I've been reading that with demographics changing because of aging babyboomers, they're going to get fed up with their single-use zoned autocentric carburbs, replete with McMansions, and want mixed use, walkable areas with condos, apartments and such. This is a good thing for our built environment.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well, Downtown to the Plaza is booming and really, it's barely keeping up with demand so far. But still, compared to the residential permits issued in the suburbs, it's a drop in the bucket, so there is a ton of potential.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Tosspot wrote:How hot is the Kansas City housing market right now? Is there a lot of demand out there for new residences?

I've been reading that with demographics changing because of aging babyboomers, they're going to get fed up with their single-use zoned autocentric carburbs, replete with McMansions, and want mixed use, walkable areas with condos, apartments and such. This is a good thing for our built environment.
Downtown developers can't build new units fast enough. KCMO leads all the suburbs in building permits. Most of that is in Clay County, but Downtown and the Plaza are getting a bigger share every year.

In the resale market, the zip codes on either side of State Line Road between Midtown and I-435 are appreciating much faster than the metro average. So there is definite proof of interest in both Downtown and close-in neighborhoods.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Look, I have a big avatar too!!!
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think it's time to put the clamps down on the avatars....they look so pretty though.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

17 story tower is the first residential building????? hell yeah

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:17 story tower is the first residential building????? hell yeah

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl
I'll take it! =D>

I wish (like everyone else) they'd name some tenants. I hope we get good celebrity chefs who aren't Emeril Lagasse!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin