P&L District: anything missing?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

tat2kc wrote:sorry to disagree trailer, but with all the residents moving into the loop and crossroads, there has to be something in the entertainment district to keep these folks interested and coming back. HOB and Hard Rock and similar places are not places for locals to hang out at. It needs to be a mix of places that are attractive not only to those outside the immediate area, but also to those who live and work daily there.
P&L Live rents will be too expensive for "local" places. The local places should be part of the ripple effect that extends past the 9 block district. I'd much rather have that, than all the restaurants, bars, local shops, etc. being in one 9 block area of downtown. I'd hope that where the Entertainment District ends, the funky local and independent flavor begins!

Anyhow, I think the district is missin' a nice smoothie bar such as a Jamba Juice! Also...PLEASE COVER 75% OF THE SOUTH INTERSTATE LOOP!!! I want the last thing people on the interstate to see is the KC Star Printing Press before driving into a massive tunnel.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Needs a "destination" fountain.

I agree with Que on the "local" retailers. They will follow.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Yes something local. Gates, AB's....get some KC barbeque which is what conventioners will be looking for.

I'm with Que...it'd be nice to see the independent stores geared toward the locals close to P&L, but not in it. I know if I lived downtown I wouldn't want to be doing my eating and shopping among hundreds of drunk out of towners every day.

Also I think the freeway should remain open. At least for a while. Let people know that downtown KC is alive and hopping when they drive through.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCNorthlander wrote:Also I think the freeway should remain open. At least for a while. Let people know that downtown KC is alive and hopping when they drive through.
I agree. The Bartle expansion is already going to cover another panel. I could see maybe one more covered by a park or public square, but that's it. What's the point of building a colossal development to attract tourists an then hiding it from their view? Plus, covering the freeway completely would probably eliminate exits, wouldn't it?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'd also like to suggest two wide, graceful, arc-shaped pedestrian bridges - one over Main and one over Walnut. They probably aren't needed over 14th because it will no longer be a thru-street and looks like it'd being significantly narrowed, but bridges over Main and Walnut will allow continuous uninterrupted foot traffic.
Last edited by scooterj on Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

i'd love to see the loop covered at some point, but remember, its an incredibly expensive project to undertake. There is no way a private entity could afford to do that and regain its investment. The cost of covering the freeway would have to be absorbed by either the city or the state.

I do think, though, with all the construction going on, that the space above the loop will be pretty valuable and it will be worth the cost to cover it. At this point, I'd rather see that money go into improving infrastructure and amenities in the area.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Looking at the list given on the Star.

- Ice cream shoppe
- a couple more clothing stores
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc