P&L District: 14th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 14th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I'd still put the sprint store there, 2000 more sq. ft. isn't that much.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anyone know what the square footage of Sprint's Town Center store is?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Bump
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I've heard that at the new ESPN Zone in the Staples Center development it will have a television studio. ESPN would be foolish to not include something similar in a KC location-- the Sprint Center could be used as a live backdrop.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This block is the top half of this picture.  This is one of only two spots south of 14th where any sort of work is going on so far inside the entertainment district.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

The parking lot on the eastern half of that block now is gone....and the hole in its place looks pretty deep from what I can tell on the CIMO webcam.  Maybe scooter can verify.  Also now the Grand side is lined with the white fences that line the other blocks under constructiion.  So it looks like this one is well underway.

There's not an underground garage planned here, correct?  I've made myself look like an idiot by asking this question on two threads now but I double checked this time ;).  If not, this may be our first actual P&L block to see construction of entertainment/dining/shopping venues.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

The hole liiks 3 feet deep from here, which means it's probably 8 to 10 feet deep in real life. :)
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

trailerkid wrote: I've heard that at the new ESPN Zone in the Staples Center development it will have a television studio. ESPN would be foolish to not include something similar in a KC location-- the Sprint Center could be used as a live backdrop.
For what purpose?  The Big 12 tourney that we'll have every 3 years?

Arena Ball?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

PPA is always such a ray of sunshine.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: For what purpose?  The Big 12 tourney that we'll have every 3 years?

Arena Ball?

PPA

Why do you have to be so negative?

Sincerely,
Hearne Christopher
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCN wrote: The parking lot on the eastern half of that block now is gone....and the hole in its place looks pretty deep from what I can tell on the CIMO webcam.  Maybe scooter can verify.  Also now the Grand side is lined with the white fences that line the other blocks under constructiion.  So it looks like this one is well underway.

There's not an underground garage planned here, correct?  I've made myself look like an idiot by asking this question on two threads now but I double checked this time ;).  If not, this may be our first actual P&L block to see construction of entertainment/dining/shopping venues.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Now I see why they're digging that deep.  To remove the foundations of the buildings leveled for that loathsome parking lot.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCN wrote: Now I see why they're digging that deep.  To remove the foundations of the buildings leveled for that loathsome parking lot.
Those ancient foundations are clearly exposed now...

Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Very cool picture Scooter!  Does anyone know how long it has been since they were torn down?  It's been a parking lot for quite a while.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

From another angle

Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Wasn't the purpose of urban renewal to tear down old buildings with the intention they would be replaced by something newer, bigger, and better?  Or was it their intention all along to just make parking lots.  Because it seems odd that they wouldn't have dug up the old foundations when they originally tore down the buildings, unless they had no intentions of ever building on those sites in the first place.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Long wrote: Wasn't the purpose of urban renewal to tear down old buildings with the intention they would be replaced by something newer, bigger, and better?  Or was it their intention all along to just make parking lots.  Because it seems odd that they wouldn't have dug up the old foundations when they originally tore down the buildings, unless they had no intentions of ever building on those sites in the first place.
I usually figure a great deal of it was for parking; a fear that the city would be obsolete without parking lots to accomodate the newly ubiquitous automobile. Ended up killing the very vibrancy they were supposed to save. But I'm sure that's just part of it.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

hey dont knock us, kc was parking lot capital of the world for a while. it didnt look as good on a t shirt or on a book cover like fountain capital, but it was nice for like 30 years.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

one of the big liabilities of vacant areas that were cleared by "urban renewal" is that many buildings/homes were simply bulldozed into their basements instead of completely removed.  That's one of the reasons it's sometimes tougher/costlier to redevelop vacant urban land than green fields.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

one of the neat things about redoing so much of downtown is the rediscovery of a lot of its roots.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D