P&L District: 14th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 14th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree I love that they are coming downtown, especially if they care more than just sports stuff...kc touristy stuff has been needed downtown ive always thought....I just don't like them in such a prominent spot. I imagined a retailer like them along 13th between main and Baltimore.

Not sure what would fit what I'm thinking for that corner....something flashier.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don't like it either, but perhaps the thought is to finally fill all spaces and go after bigger concepts as spaces open in the future. This will allow them to raise rents since they could show demand plus getting a less than optimal rent is better than nothing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just fill it!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Rally House is a great fit. Would be nice to have something a little sexier if it's in the corner spot, but after sitting empty this long it's pretty safe to say that the interest isn't there. If sales at Rally House go well, perhaps that will lead to other retail.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I see two things in play

1. Retail companies can be very risk averse. Occupancy levels is a good proxy to future success in an area so this tells the next company looking that downtown is a great place to be.
2. Developers can be more risk averse. They don't like building more retail where there's a lot of empty spaces already.

So we can't be too picky right now on who fills spaces. A filled storefront also dramatically improves the street level experience. With the huge variety of guests conventions and other events brings, we also want to see a lot of variety in downtown.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i remember there being a truck outside P&L during the world series run that was selling royals gear. any chance that was affiliated with rally house — early scouting effort, perhaps? i am guessing it was probably just some opportunistic and questionably-licensed outfit, though.

i'd much rather have a rally house down here than an underarmour store. it would be cool if this location would dispense with all the out of town crap and just sell KC stuff: royals, chiefs, sporting, UMKC. jayhawks / tigers / wildcats are okay too, i suppose, but leave the racks of cornhuskers etc. out in the suburbs. i guess alternatively they could be opportunistic and cycle stuff in based on who is playing at the sprint center, which might be better for their margins even if it leaves me disgruntled (for no good reason, obviously).
mykn

Post by mykn »

wahoowa wrote:i remember there being a truck outside P&L during the world series run that was selling royals gear. any chance that was affiliated with rally house — early scouting effort, perhaps? i am guessing it was probably just some opportunistic and questionably-licensed outfit, though.

i'd much rather have a rally house down here than an underarmour store. it would be cool if this location would dispense with all the out of town crap and just sell KC stuff: royals, chiefs, sporting, UMKC. jayhawks / tigers / wildcats are okay too, i suppose, but leave the racks of cornhuskers etc. out in the suburbs. i guess alternatively they could be opportunistic and cycle stuff in based on who is playing at the sprint center, which might be better for their margins even if it leaves me disgruntled (for no good reason, obviously).
I assumed the MLB did that? I was luckily right next to it when the Royals won and got to impulse buy a lot of stuff really quickly.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

wahoowa wrote:but leave the racks of cornhuskers etc. out in the suburbs.
Woah, woah, woah. What's wrong with my Huskers? :P
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Also point out that Rally House/Kansas Sampler is local.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

hgascoigne wrote:
wahoowa wrote:but leave the racks of cornhuskers etc. out in the suburbs.
Woah, woah, woah. What's wrong with my Huskers? :P
nothing that isn't also wrong with the other schools i mentioned :D

the rally house locations i've been to either have too much stuff packed into a small space (plaza, town center, 119/renner) or feel like a mall unto themselves (oak park) with different little zones for each somewhat tangentially relevant local-ish school. both of those setups seem silly for a tourist-laden location like P&L, to this random person on the internet at least.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

That is the perfect location for a Rally House, right next to the Sprint Center on grand. That store will be packed every time there is a sports event at Sprint Center such as college basketball. Plus with 10's of thousands of young sports fans living downtown, they will have a market. I mean how many 20-30 somethings live downtown that will buy KU/Mizzou/Chiefs/Royals/etc gear there rather than having to drive to the burbs. Best retail addition to downtown since cosentinos.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Rally House opened today.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

hgascoigne wrote:Rally House opened today.
Must have been busting ass trying to get open before the B12 tournament.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I was out and about today so I snapped a few pics.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I went in today....no coupon handed out.

Wish they had more KC stuff but maybe after Big 12 stuff moves out they will.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

It looks like they're moving this intersection to a four-way stop. The light has been flashing red for the past few days and stop signs have been installed.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

hgascoigne wrote:It looks like they're moving this intersection to a four-way stop. The light has been flashing red for the past few days and stop signs have been installed.
I hate four-way stops - people are idiots.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kcjak wrote:
hgascoigne wrote:It looks like they're moving this intersection to a four-way stop. The light has been flashing red for the past few days and stop signs have been installed.
I hate four-way stops - people are idiots.

Why do they keep pulling this crap in pedestrian-heavy areas? It makes the intersections so much more dangerous and confusing for everyone.

(Similar rant: The intersections downtown where they removed the stop signs for one direction only, but the surrounding buildings at the corners cause poor sight lines for the crossing vehicles that have to stop. 12th & McGee, 11th & McGee, 11th & Oak, for example.)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

No, four-ways DO NOT make them more dangerous for peds.

Peds have 100% right of way at a stop sign. You can walk out at any time and a car must wait for you no matter what with or without a marked crosswalk.

You're complaining about bad drivers, not the intersection design.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Yeah four-way stops are generally better for pedestrians in my experience. I'm pumped to see this intersection converted. Auto traffic is relatively light through there but ped traffic is high. This is a good decision in my book.