P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by Gladstoner »

Long wrote: I think a neon sax (or guitar) would be fine if there is plenty of other neon, marquees, etc. in the district.  If it looks like a 3-story guitar dropped on the plaza, it will be a little inappropriate.
Agreed. A huge neon sax or guitar by itself would say "Hey! I'm an attention whore!" But then again, that is the essence of HRC.

Personally, I think it's size should reflect the scale of the building it is on, though I can't put my finger on what measurements and ratios "feel" right. On the two-storey structure, it only needs to be large enough to be seen clearly from the street.
Last edited by Gladstoner on Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

I'd pay real money for a sidewalk (or temporary walkway) along the east edge of the block on Grand during construction.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Why are they digging so deep in this block?  Is there another parking garage planned?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I think they're just working to get a good base for foundations.  The pit only appears to be about 8-10 feeet deep and they're going through a lot of effort to make it perfectly level... someething you don't do just before gouging it all out.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

My "depth" perception is way off looking at that webcam, I was thinking it was a lot deeper than that.

This block should be going strong in a few months.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

KCN wrote: Why are they digging so deep in this block?  Is there another parking garage planned?
Yeah, I believe they are now in the process of filling it in and leveling it out.  They probably dug it so deep just to get under all the existing foundations and basements, make sure they are all cleared out, and allow the ground to stabilize a little bit.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Another problem I have with this block is its insular nature. Nightlife is supposed to spill from venue to venue and into the street. I realize Cordish has this open pavillion in the middle so as to control the behaviors of visitors by making it a private space, but what could end up happening is that there is a very large private area crowded with bar patrons while 14th Street and other surrounding sidewalks have minimal foot traffic. To a degree, they solved for this problem by creating outdoor entrances to most of the venues, but I just don't want this block to turn into an insular bar mall.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Actually if you look closely at the overall plan, you'll see there's an "alley" running along and north of 14th Street through the district, from the President all the way to the arena. The idea is that who do go into the central area of the Live block can spill out to the surrounding blocks. Also, Cordish wants to close 14th Street on weekend evenings or something to encourage pedestrian activity. Don't worry about this one block sucking in all the people.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Are we sure there's not an underground garage here?  Looks like an awfully deep hole

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Yes...I believe an underground garage is going in here. That amendment was made after the site plan surfaced.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Funny how underground garages are suddenly feasible for P&L but deemed out of the realm of possibility for the majority of the other environs in the city. One can posit a few theories as to why, but I won't bore you with them.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

This would explain why none of those buildings was kept and incorporated into the district on that block.  Not that they would have been salvaged anyway.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yeah, when I drove by that hole today, it's a LOT deeper than it looks from high above.  Easily 30 feet deep around the edges to 50 feet deep in the middle.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

KCPowercat wrote:n today's Star, it talks about site plan changes, one of them puts a 1,000 space garage that was to be at the 12th and Main block into the ground of this block.
Old news... six months old, to be exact.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

How embarrassing that I had not only read that when it was posted, but replied to it, and then 2 pages later I'm asking what the big hole is.  :lol:
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Current status of this block.  I'd expect to start seeing some prefab garage pieces showing up here within about a month.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Have they begun pouring the bottom of this garage?  It's hard to tell from that webcam but it looks like they have.  If so this becomes our 2nd block with actual structure going up :)
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Hmm on second thought I might just be looking at a big puddle  ](*,)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCN wrote: Hmm on second thought I might just be looking at a big puddle  ](*,)
I couldn't tell ya one way or another if you saw puddle or concrete.   The H&R Block Building got tall enough in the last couple of days to completely block my view of that pit.