P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by flyingember »

Taking that on face value, that's not the worst source ever.

I'm quite pleased with this. I can schedule a pickup on the way home from work much easier for that location.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Ha. I hope nothing is jinxed. I've been guessing every new restaurant for 10 years will be a Joe's KC/Okie Joe's money printing business.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If true hopefully they find a way to have an on-site, outdoor pit.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Just to follow up, GB is closing August 13th, I think he said. I guess their lease was about to expire anyway, so they decided not to renew since they have a restaurant in Leawood. Plus he said the landlord (Cordish) were kind of a pain in the ass to work with...lol.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think it will necessarily kill plowboys.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I don't think it will necessarily kill plowboys.
it will be the fourth BBQ restaurant downtown in a city where tourists want to eat BBQ. I'm not worried
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't you dare call Winslow's BBQ
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

KCPowercat wrote:Don't you dare call Winslow's BBQ
[-X
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I asked Ployboys if they had a pit onsite (after the move) and they said no it's brought in from, if I recall, Blue Springs. But it was shortly after they opened. Maybe they smoke onsite now but they still have consistency problems and should cut up the meat on order, not let it sit cut in trays.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

joe's makes excellent food and they sell the hell out of it, as exhibited by their shameless PR machine pumping out shoutouts in the bogus rankings like the one mentioned upthread. but an hour long wait for food in this town is silly. especially in such a saturated category of restaurant. i'd love to have a joe's down here and i love eating the food they have (well, when they have burnt ends for a grand total of 10% of their serving hours), but i'm not waiting in a long line for it. i would drive or even take $5 ubers to and from danny edwards on a saturday for lunch before waiting an hour at a p&L joe's literally every time.

fortunately there is a virtual 100% overlap between all the denizens of the leawood and olathe joe's kc locations and the types of people that refuse on principle to pay $2 to park a car for a meal, so the downtown joe's is going to have the shortest lines in the city come dinnertime!!

[fourth bbq restaurant "downtown" has to be fiorella's, no? — and i heard the same about the smoker in plowboys' ingredient location]
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Jack stack is the fourth

I forgot about the fifth, there's one inside crown center
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

pash wrote: Joe's will mint money if they come to the P&L.
P&L will too, and also agree with you that Ployboys will get Joe's spill over. The entire restaurant boom around 47th/Mission is essentially based on Joe's spillover. Cordish may as well give Joe's free rent... or actually, Joe's should demand free/cheap rent.

But if this is all true, they need an outdoor pit to make this work. Q39 while has great quality meats and comes out with great texture, most everything lacks smokey flavor because they (entirely?) use an indoor pit. They rely too much on sauce. Joe's doesn't have this issue and could potentially end up as a different product. Then again, Joe's could probably still thrive on the hype even if the product degraded.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I like Joe's a lot, I like the owner. He is great for the BBQ community in general, but it is a hype machine. Not my favorite in the country or even the city. Absolutely in the top tier, but "best" is pretty subjective. If you told me it was your favorite I wouldn't argue with you. Then again I don't really care about the sides.

As others stated, consistency is paramount and the hardest part of BBQ. Joe's does it very well.

If you mess up a pork butt or brisket, you can't just throw another one on, unless you want to wait 14 more hours.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Only thing Joe's is not consistent with methinks is Thursday rib specials (if they still do it). They are moving too many that day and they can turn out tough. You can get a good deal on rib day but to get them at their best, better chances other days. And it doesn't need sauce.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

PB said before they moved they were going to smoke on site. I don't think they have followed through on that though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When I asked Ployboys they said they didn't have a place to put one. Maybe they found a way or maybe not, would think it's a pain to haul from Blue Springs if the case, so they may found a way by now. But an indoor pit/smoker just isn't the same as an outdoor one.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The absence of a smoke smell in the vicinity of the building suggests they are not smoking on site. Also, would Town Pavilion really want a smoker perfuming the place all day long? I recall they were going to have space for fryers in the new spot which allowed them to start serving french fries, which apparently they are also known for in Blue Springs.

Personally, I hope the GB spot turns into a second attempt for the much loved Famous Dave's.

(that was a joke)

But seriously, if not Joe's, then who? Bryant's seems too close and generally not in expansion mode, Gates remains pretty close as well. My mind drifts to a newcomer benefiting from some Cordish love. My guess in that scenario is SLAP's.

That said, I can picture a world where Fiorella's goes for it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Slap is putting in a patio. I'm assuming they like the low rent + proximity to downtown that PnL would only provide half of. Those guys live in Raytown.