P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Its a difficult space.  Actually not so much the space itself, but the terrible entrance situation.  Not only was it pretty unclear from the sidewalk where you were supposed to go, once you get inside you are faced with what appears for all intents and purposes to be a medical office building lobby.  For anything to succeed up there as is, it will have to have a tremendous base of regular clientelle. 
It certainly wasn't very visible nor was the entrance, once found, inviting but I always thought it was a well known enough restaurant that people would seek it out.   I went once, it had a nice urbane feel to it with a view to the Main Street Theater across the street but the decor, the service and the food were good but not particularly memorable.  We both felt like it would be worth a trip back though.     The convention go'er or the basketball tournament fan was, however,  never going to know it existed unless they were pointed in that direction.

What struck me as funny and a little distracting about the place though was how incredibly dirty the windows were.  You'd think Cordish would be providing some kind of regular upkeep for their tenants.  
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Really a shame. Enjoyed every visit there. I agree the entrance situation was puzzling to say the least.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i feel like maybe we were eating at different Peachtrees. I went there twice and had service so bad it was laughable. Like "am i being punked?" bad. The location is not ideal, but poor customer service is poor customer service.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i feel like maybe we were eating at different Peachtrees. I went there twice and had service so bad it was laughable. Like "am i being punked?" bad. The location is not ideal, but poor customer service is poor customer service.
Bingo.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i feel like maybe we were eating at different Peachtrees. I went there twice and had service so bad it was laughable. Like "am i being punked?" bad. The location is not ideal, but poor customer service is poor customer service.
Agree.  The most laughable part about the slow service was that nobody was ever in there.  I thought the venue was really cool though.  Really like that upstairs corner looking NW down onto Main St.  Especially on Thursday-Saturday nights when it's packed with cars. 

With the piano and stage setup, it really is a perfect music/jazz venue.  It'd be cool if they had a small ribbon board outside advertising live music upstairs.  Or a big, gaudy arrow that lights up, indicating that there is live music above the Bristol.   

But, just like the absence of good barbeque, it's really no surprise that P&L has no good KC Jazz spot in P&L.    
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

We were there 1 year ago.  Our service was a little inattentive but not particularly bad.  Perhaps it's gotten worse as business started going downhill. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think I will miss the Peachtree's sign more than anything.

Isn't the Drum Room a jazz venue?
There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The service was never as good as the food.  I think they suffered from their erratic traffic - like they didn't know when to staff up and when not to. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hmmm, I always thought we had decent service. The kitchen was a bit slow I agree, even though it was pretty empty, but the service itself was pretty attentive.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I absolutely loved most of the dishes I tried....at the old location.  But after 4 visists consisting of poor service, long waits on the kitchen and complete ambivalence by the management I swore I'd never go back or try the new place.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCMax wrote: Hmmm, I always thought we had decent service. The kitchen was a bit slow I agree, even though it was pretty empty, but the service itself was pretty attentive.
I guess I lump the kitchen into 'service.'  You could have the best waiter in the world, but if it takes 2 hours for your food to get to the table, the food is cold, and there's a hair in your catfish, the service is bad.  Just a hypothetical.  This never happened to me at Peachtree.  
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, bad service can have a huge effect on return business. If you have tickets to something at Mainstree or Midland theaters, Folly Theater, Quality Hill Playhouse, the Lyric Opera, Copaken Stage, or Sprint Center, and it takes forever to get your food at Peach Tree, you don't go back the next time.
There is no fifth destination.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

Bit gutted as always enjoyed the food there, although the service could be questionable. We were going to eat there a couple of weeks ago, but opted for BBQ instead. Wish I had went there now, loved there catfish starter and there fried chicken.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The smothered pork chops shall be missed.  Anyone know of anywhere else around town with a decent smothered pork chop?  Hopefully they resurrect again someplace with more manageable rent and a better entrance. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

"It is especially unfortunate because it appears from their comments that theft and other factors outside of their performance in the Power & Light District may have been the primary reasons behind their failure."This is a statement from Cordish.  They indicate they did a lot to keep The Peachtree afloat and were their biggest creditors at the time of the bankruptcy filing. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC-wildcat wrote: But, just like the absence of good barbeque, it's really no surprise that P&L has no good KC Jazz spot in P&L.    
The Marquee is now a jazz club.

What would work in the Peachtree? I'd like to see a Cajun place up there. Something that blows Jazz out of the water. Maybe have blues/zydeco performers as well.
Last edited by trailerkid on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote: "It is especially unfortunate because it appears from their comments that theft and other factors outside of their performance in the Power & Light District may have been the primary reasons behind their failure."This is a statement from Cordish.  They indicate they did a lot to keep The Peachtree afloat and were their biggest creditors at the time of the bankruptcy filing.  
While I don't dispute the accuracy of their statement (I have no idea if its true or not) it strikes me as extremely unprofessional for a landlord to make accusation on a former tenant like that.

EDIT: Okay, at first I thought they meant Peachtree stole from them. So never mind.

nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

trailerkid wrote: The Marquee is now a jazz club.

What would work in the Peachtree? I'd like to see a Cajun place up there. Something that blows Jazz out of the water. Maybe have blues/zydeco performers as well.
I don't think the Power and Light has the finesse to accomplish getting a place like that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

another jazz location would do just fine in P+L. it's inexpensive and a known quantity. besides, can you find decent cajun food anywhere outside of the gulf states?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: another jazz location would do just fine in P+L. it's inexpensive and a known quantity. besides, can you find decent cajun food anywhere outside of the gulf states?
Chicago has places that blow Jazz out of the water. Jazz Louisiana Kitchen sucks, but people seem to like it so I'd take it in P+L.