P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been there a couple times and liked it. The Juicy Lucy is pretty solid. Nice beer selection.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

finally tried BRGR (PV location) for the first time the other day. i thought it was pretty darn tasty. i had the jucy lucy, medium-rare, and they cooked it properly. it was good. the truffle fries were delicious, the sweet potato fries were good, and the onion rings were just okay. after one visit, i would say it's easily a top 10 burger in KC that i've had.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I'll have to give it another shot. We may have had a bad cook who overcooked everything. Nobody cared for it on that visit, including a couple not at all particular. The meat could be better grade though for a place that seems to bill itself (and charges as much) as "gourmet" burgers - didn't come across as Angus quality meat (like Blanc uses). Is still too new to quickly judge. Will try again.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I think there used to be an option in the PV location to have your burger made with Wagyu for a few dollars more (maybe a figment of my imagination). That was way worth it, and I wish they still had the option.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

earthling wrote:I'll have to give it another shot. We may have had a bad cook who overcooked everything. Nobody cared for it on that visit, including a couple not at all particular. The meat could be better grade though for a place that seems to bill itself (and charges as much) as "gourmet" burgers - didn't come across as Angus quality meat (like Blanc uses). Is still too new to quickly judge. Will try again.
The PV location has been hit or miss for me too, although more good than bad.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

From the end of today's Business Journal article:
During the next decade, Cordish plans to add another 750 units at three other locations in the Power & Light District, Cordish spokesman Nick Benjamin said recently. The sites include a surface lot adjacent to Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet theater, a site behind the Bristol restaurant and a site behind Bar Louie.

In addition, Cordish reportedly has expressed interest in redeveloping the 30-story Kansas City Power & Light building, 1330 Baltimore Ave. The historic art deco office building would be converted into apartments as part of a project that would include construction of an adjacent high-rise hotel. Two hotel groups, including Omni Hotels & Resorts, reportedly are interested in the site.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tment.html

Is this the first time this has really been "on record" since before the recession? I know Collison mentioned it the other week, but both stories were mostly rumor at that point. This seems to be confirmation.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sounds great, but "during the next decade?" that seems like a pretty extended timetable.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:sounds great, but "during the next decade?" that seems like a pretty extended timetable.
No doubt. I wish the City could somehow come up with a plan (funds) to cap 670 while simultaneously getting Cordish to start building these condo projects.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:
chrizow wrote:sounds great, but "during the next decade?" that seems like a pretty extended timetable.
No doubt. I wish the City could somehow come up with a plan (funds) to cap 670 while simultaneously getting Cordish to start building these condo projects.
Its all going to be contingent on this 1st tower. If it leases up quickly you've got to believe they will be building the next phase right on its heals...if it doesn't perform then thats the last of new construction DT for awhile.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most developers don't want to build all at once because you don't want to have too much product on the market at one time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Kind of mind boggling that with streetcar now active over a year and revenues along the line significantly improving that the NW corner of 14th/Main hasn't been leased out yet. That is a primo spot with a stop practically there. Not a good sign for downtown attracting retail overall.

What would be a desirable tenant?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I feel like that is a prime spot for a pharmacy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

CVS is at 10th/Main but it would be a good upgrade if they moved there, or Walgreens to compete. But with downtown lacking with range of retail and already having pharmacy, would think something else would be better.

What do downtowners want that you don't have retail wise?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's technically the 13th and Baltimore block discussion based on our naming standards a decade ago.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Feel free to move. Is a little concerning though that such a primo spot hasn't been filled yet. May not be good news for downtown attracting general retail. Maybe when downtown pops hits the magic 30K national retailers will start to pay attention (and that should happen when planned and U/C units open).

Would love to see a Trader Joe's somewhere downtown (or midtown) but probably won't be P&L since Consentino's is a tenant. Locatarian purists may not want national retailers but downtown should have at least some section dedicated to them, and DT is about ready for broader shopping (and ties into my suggestion to reduce Plaza shopping some and broaden its appeal as well).
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

KCPowercat wrote:That's technically the 13th and Baltimore block discussion based on our naming standards a decade ago.
Head to doublecheck the username on this comment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol...not trying to be a dick about it....I remember setting them up and trying to decide the best way to discuss them as details came out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So no comment on the questionably open primo spot at NW corner of 14th/Main? Is Cordish holding out for something in particular?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I always thought it would be a good TV studio setup on the corner. I believe it was once mentioned something about a high end Mexican joint.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:So no comment on the questionably open primo spot at NW corner of 14th/Main? Is Cordish holding out for something in particular?
This is what I've always assumed. They aren't in a hurry to lease it (thanks KCMO!) so they want to make sure that when they do it is something of a draw.

Personally, I've always thought it'd make a great Mellow Mushroom though I haven't checked the square footage.