P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 14th & Main Site Proposal

Post by wahoowa »

StrangerThings wrote:Expect a new tenant announcement soon..... it's nothing that's been discussed in here as far as I can tell.
it's been fifteen days i'm ready!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There's a zoning permit dated yesterday for the space at 1300 Grand for The Hookah Lounge KC. Looks like this is the corner under the Hotel Nightclub sign.

Is this the new tenant set to be announced?

KCDowntown
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCDowntown wrote:There's a zoning permit dated yesterday for the space at 1300 Grand for The Hookah Lounge KC. Looks like this is the corner under the Hotel Nightclub sign.

Is this the new tenant set to be announced?

KCDowntown
UGH! What next, a vape store?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Woof
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just what grand needs.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is mind boggling that with the fairly consistent foot traffic around the P&L streetcar stops the retail spot at NW corner of 14th/Main is still not leased and never has been. Is Cordish even trying? Will they take 10 years to fill in the old Kaldi Coffee at 12th/Main too?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 pm Is mind boggling that with the fairly consistent foot traffic around the P&L streetcar stops the retail spot at NW corner of 14th/Main is still not leased and never has been. Is Cordish even trying? Will they take 10 years to fill in the old Kaldi Coffee at 12th/Main too?
There's some big things in the works for that entire lower area. I believe they're waiting to see what goes down with Strata. It's not as desirable a location to potential tenants as you'd expect. I remember leasing always showing the space and no one wanting to commit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm It's not as desirable a location to potential tenants as you'd expect. I remember leasing always showing the space and no one wanting to commit.
Cause it’s always better to let a space sit empty for 10 years costing money than to drop the rent to a reasonable level or ask for some BS profits kickback.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm It's not as desirable a location to potential tenants as you'd expect. I remember leasing always showing the space and no one wanting to commit.
Cause it’s always better to let a space sit empty for 10 years costing money than to drop the rent to a reasonable level or ask for some BS profits kickback.
Cordish will lease a parking spot if they can make money. You honestly think they purposely have kept it empty? No one has been interested and that’s directly from the lease manager who profits off of leasing!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm Cordish will lease a parking spot if they can make money. You honestly think they purposely have kept it empty? No one has been interested and that’s directly from the lease manager who profits off of leasing!
I know this is false from personal experience. I’ve had several people with thriving small businesses who wanted to expand to the district. The rents were astronomical and when they asked for a price that was more reasonable, they were asked to sign over part of the profits of the future business for the life of the contract. They went to other, in my opinion, better locations for over half the cost.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 pm Is mind boggling that with the fairly consistent foot traffic around the P&L streetcar stops the retail spot at NW corner of 14th/Main is still not leased and never has been. Is Cordish even trying? Will they take 10 years to fill in the old Kaldi Coffee at 12th/Main too?
There's some big things in the works for that entire lower area. I believe they're waiting to see what goes down with Strata. It's not as desirable a location to potential tenants as you'd expect. I remember leasing always showing the space and no one wanting to commit.
Bulldoze for 5 Light :lol:
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:41 pmBulldoze for 5 Light :lol:
This but completely unironically
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Downtown has the lowest retail vacancy rate in the metro and a chunk of that is the western side of P&L. Cordish is more likely the reason.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Mellow Mushroom please.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm Cordish will lease a parking spot if they can make money. You honestly think they purposely have kept it empty? No one has been interested and that’s directly from the lease manager who profits off of leasing!
I know this is false from personal experience. I’ve had several people with thriving small businesses who wanted to expand to the district. The rents were astronomical and when they asked for a price that was more reasonable, they were asked to sign over part of the profits of the future business for the life of the contract. They went to other, in my opinion, better locations for over half the cost.
That's a complete lie. I spent nearly a decade working for Cordish and was heavy involved once a new tenant signed on. I had to oversee the build outs and go over every single lease since I oversaw all facilities for the landlord. I won't argue about lease prices because that's subjective and it works for most of the tenants down there. I'm sure wherever those people decided to lease pay less, for less.

The lease structures are very common. "X" amount a month and a small percentage of profits AFTER a very high sales goal is hit. Let's say a place like Yard House. They would need to hit nearly 4 million dollars in sales before the landlords 5% kicked in. That is also only 5% of the additional amount made OVER the previously defined sales goal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not very nice to call people liars fyi
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What is the leasing rate for P&L... over $20/sqft, over $25, over $30?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

You said:
DColeKC wrote: Cordish will lease a parking spot if they can make money. No one has been interested and that’s directly from the lease manager who profits off of leasing!
There has absolutely been interest. These companies went on to be very successful with leases that were cheaper and didn’t have their landlord trying to grab profits. Fact! Are you really saying, like you seem to above, that there has been zero interest in the empty spots in the district? That that is why they are so many empty ones? Because, I could rent the rest of the district out in a week. I wouldn’t get your astronomical prices but it wouldn’t sit empty for a decade.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Shots fired
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:32 pm
There has absolutely been interest. These companies went on to be very successful with leases that were cheaper and didn’t have their landlord trying to grab profits. Fact! Are you really saying, like you seem to above, that there has been zero interest in the empty spots in the district? That that is why they are so many empty ones? Because, I could rent the rest of the district out in a week. I wouldn’t get your astronomical prices but it wouldn’t sit empty for a decade.
[/quote]

This.

Go look at the retail space at 4040 N Cherry. They have people leasing at least one back side (east) lower level space, the entrance is basically next to a dumpster. There's someone interested in every space in the city

The only reason every space wouldn't be filled is corporate lack of interest in a specific tenant or the leasing rate is higher than the market wants to pay to fill quickly.