P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Post by kboish »

I went there for lunch the other day.  Excellent food and great service as they were fairly busy.  So awesome that they have such late hours. 10pm mon-wed. 11pm thursday, 12 friday and 1 am saturday and 8 or so sunday (don't remember).

They will definitely be getting my business again.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Went last night for some Gelato and had an awesome experience. Girl helping me was very friendly and attentive(and good-looking!). I asked her how business has been and she said fantastic. She also commented that they had just been slammed right before I walked in, and that was about 7:30. So, it appears the evening business is going pretty well. There were a few other couples in there when I was.

I told her I lived downtown and was glad they were open at night. She wasn't the owner or anything, but hopefully she passed those comments along.

While I was in there(for 5 minutes), they probably had $50 of revenue alone. Surely that pays for the two employees for 3 hours, so I don't get why more businesses down there don't stay open. It doesn't cost much to stay open a few more hours, not much overhead involved.

As an aside, The MIXX is completely dead to me. I go by there at night and they are closed all the time. Even tried to go there for lunch on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, closed. I hate them, and will never go back there, even if they are open. They barely even tried.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

TfromKC wrote: As an aside, The MIXX is completely dead to me. I go by there at night and they are closed all the time. Even tried to go there for lunch on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, closed. I hate them, and will never go back there, even if they are open. They barely even tried.
This frustrates me. Let @missmixxkc know on Twitter. She listens. Claims business was slow and they'd reconsider. It's time for them to reconsider.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

staubio wrote: This frustrates me. Let @missmixxkc know on Twitter. She listens. Claims business was slow and they'd reconsider. It's time for them to reconsider.
Agreed. But they'll have to give it a while to build up a night business. They'll basically be starting from scratch again building evening clientele.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote: Agreed. But they'll have to give it a while to build up a night business. They'll basically be starting from scratch again building evening clientele.
The problem is, they'll be starting from worse than scratch.  Once you close during evening hours, people write you off as an option, and it is much harder in my mind to get business back when people are already assuming things than it is for a new business to successfully advertise and actually maintain evening hours.  Then again, I've never run a restaurant.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: This frustrates me. Let @missmixxkc know on Twitter. She listens. Claims business was slow and they'd reconsider. It's time for them to reconsider.
I'd be shocked if the Mixx sticks around through their entire lease-- much less expands their hours.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: I'd be shocked if the Mixx sticks around through their entire lease-- much less expands their hours.
I hear you, since they are not open for dinner. But, man, they do a huge lunch business. I was in there on Thursday and the place was just packed. People were even sitting outside in the "Elements" area--and it was 100 degrees.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Genghis grille closing. Not surprising. Their comments about lack of parking show they weren't a good fit for an urban district. On their way to the burbs.

Genghis Khan replacement? Much more urban friendly.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

good riddance. that space was terribly designed. like eating in a closet, or perhaps a small barn loft. the food wasn't all that either.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Genghis did have a poor design. That 2 story space has great potential.

But, I hesitate to say "good riddance." Though they may be better suited for the burbs, I give them props for taking a chance on P&L when so much local culinary talent won't even consider it (Bluestem, for instance).

I hope to see somebody fill that spot soon. I also hope to see FREE evening parking on weekdays. I know it's only $2, but I don't like it. just seems like a hastle to pay for parking when you're wanting to grab a quick lunch or pop into Garment District on your way through downtown.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Local culinary talent can't afford the risk, nor the rent, probably.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote:Local culinary talent can't afford the risk, nor the rent, probably.
I'd be quite surprised if any of the local BBQ giants couldn't handle the risk/rent.

Regarding some of the more boutique talent, it has been self-reported that space was offered essentially rent free (at least in one instance).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lunch parking is free I have heard....3 hours I believe.

Parking is just overall to confusing for kc residents....blame the plaza partially.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I'm sure Gary Berbiglia could afford it, maybe even Ollie Gates. I don't specifically remember the instance you're mentioning. Did Cordish offer CG free rent er something? That sounds vaguely familiar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Colby posted something awhile back about a great lease deal but he didn't believe in the district or something...

In kc scene I believe. No idea what topic anymore.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: Parking is just overall to confusing for kc residents....blame the plaza partially.
i am very sad to say that in the past few months i have heard at least three or four people say that parking on the PLAZA is difficult. and these aren't exurban, sheltered types - these folks live within 2 miles of the plaza and/or work on the plaza. if these people don't get it, i don't expect folks from smithville or olathe to negotiate downtown KC parking.

to illustrate the absurdity of this, i choose to park in a public plaza garage rather than pay for a spot in my employer's private garage. i have to circle all the way up to the 6th floor (roof), because the rest of the garage is for "plaza customers." during the 9-5, M-F work week, i swear to god the parking garage is 92% empty. but if i, as a plaza employee, deign to park in a spot on the 5th floor adjacent to the prescribed 6th floor spots for employees, i get a warning/ticket from plaza security. this is how far highwoods bends over backwards to assist clueless KC-ians and tourists to find the thousands of free parking spaces inside the garages located on every block of the plaza - if the employees parked on the first couple of floors, those floors would only be 50% empty so it could cause confusion..
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I used to get those warnings when I lived on the plaza and couldn't find street parking (rare). I'm surprised they let you park anywhere in the garages regularly.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote:Lunch parking is free I have heard....3 hours I believe.

Parking is just overall to confusing for kc residents....blame the plaza partially.
Parking is free from 6am - 5pm M-F. $2 after 5pm and weekends.

I can't imagine people complaining about Plaza parking. I love it. easy, convenient, ample and FREE. Wish P&L would follow this model.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's what I meant....kc is used to their "downtown"...ala plaza....having free garage parking....but also cordish / kcmo make it overly complicated....they seem to have a more consistent method now.

You said stop in for a quick lunch.....which is free. Honestly I don't have a problem with the parking charges in the evenings....
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:That's what I meant....kc is used to their "downtown"...ala plaza....having free garage parking....but also cordish / kcmo make it overly complicated....they seem to have a more consistent method now.

You said stop in for a quick lunch.....which is free. Honestly I don't have a problem with the parking charges in the evenings....
KC is a very strange parking obsessed city. I know people that won't go to the Plaza because they think the parking is too complicated. If they go, they check out the surface lot around Starbucks and if it is full, they just leave. Not making this up.