P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Post by ShowMeKC »

chef, you say no where in the US... Yet you are still wrong.
Look at Greenwich Village, while it isn't completely active at night, it is active in the daytime, and Washington Square is always occupied by people. (at least it was in her day)

Also, how about the entire world? Even Europe? Several of it's cities have streets that seem to keep active almost all hours of the day.

I'm not really talking about keeping the streets completely active at night, I'm talking about keeping them active during all hours of the day. And guess what, that isn't impossible, and US cities/neighborhoods have done it.

Chef, again, like I said, most American cities were designed poorly, or were destroyed in the 50s-80s.

And BTW, while that comment was funny, you almost made me throw up. I don't idolize Jane Jacobs, but her book IS THE guideline for improving/reviving cities.
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

ShowMeKC wrote: chef, you say no where in the US... Yet you are still wrong.
Look at Greenwich Village, while it isn't completely active at night, it is active in the daytime, and Washington Square is always occupied by people. (at least it was in her day)

Also, how about the entire world? Even Europe? Several of it's cities have streets that seem to keep active almost all hours of the day.

I'm not really talking about keeping the streets completely active at night, I'm talking about keeping them active during all hours of the day. And guess what, that isn't impossible, and US cities/neighborhoods have done it.

Chef, again, like I said, most American cities were designed poorly, or were destroyed in the 50s-80s.

And BTW, while that comment was funny, you almost made me throw up. I don't idolize Jane Jacobs, but her book IS THE guideline for improving/reviving cities.
goddamn devin, i lived in new york city, you are going to have the audacity to sit here and tell me that the village is jam packed in the streets every night? bullshit, it is not. they have festivals and the weekends are crazy with people milling around, kind of like westport times 10, but, the spillage into the streets is STILL shared with cars, busses, and taxi's, not streets ran by pedestrians.

glad to make you laugh. not all cities were designed poorly, i feel like i had the pleasure of living in 2 american cities that were designed well. ny and dc. the thing that was great about dc was the simple fact that the city was designed in the 1700's, a lot of the homes STILL date to that era, all buildings were built about 10 feet from the sidewalks, that bordered simple 2 lane roads, thus, the city is the prodigal wet dream you have about urban development.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think you are both right, but are not listening to each other. Chef is right that the streets in most other cities do not get packed with people just hanging out (unless its a parade or festival). But I think what Devin is trying to say is that we need pedestrian activity on our streets. People walking around, but not necessarily just hanging around.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I have gone down and stood on both Main and Walnut looking about a third of the way up the block.  I think the pedestrian alleyway running from Baltimore to Grand will end up being one of the most urbane spots in the city. The vistas will be outstanding.  It appears to me the design was in part a way to deal with the southerly slope of the site and to give access to upper and lower floors for foot traffic.  There will be plenty of human activity on 14th, as the restaurants on both side will line the street with sidewalk seating.  The fire and water fountain to be placed between Block and the two structures going up now will be a year round draw.  I sorta like those European narrow pedestrian streets that one can only discover on foot.  This will be something downtown you cannot just drive by an say you have seen it, as many commentators on this forum have critiqued what is going on DT from the vantage point of their vehicles.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Thank you max, you just explained it... He wasn't understanding what I was trying to say, which became clear in his last post.

We need MORE people out on the streets, they shouldn't overrun traffic, but they should be able to provide a constant supply of people on the sidewalks, not filling them, but enough that deter's crime.

I wasn't saying the streets are full of people, I'm not dumb enough to say that, I've been to NYC and spent 3 days in Washington, and know a little about what they are like.

I'm just saying we should have the street activity that places like Greenwich Village has, such as a constant flow of people that helps deter crime. This is what the P&L District should have. It shouldn't be full of people at all hours of the day, but should have people coming and going at all hours of the day, to help spot any crimes and to have eyes watching the streets, sidewalks and buildings at all times.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I agree...more people on the streets  :lol:

But honestly..I like the way it is in alot of side roads in london and europe..but its probably because those cities are more people friendly than large car friendly, and not many have huge sidewalks like we do.  Imagine how the plaza would be with no cars..and if the streets were much smaller...I like that idea...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Gimme Sum for the pan-Asian. Chipotle for Tex-Mex.

Now what's the sandwich place going to be?

Let's hope for Panera at least, or maybe Cosi.

Earlier in this thread Subway, Jimmy John's, Planet Sub, and Quizno's were mentioned. They've all opened new shops within a few blocks distance. Mr. Goodcents still isn't downtown, except by Devin's definition. (That one is still on Main N. of 31st, right?).
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I really wish Gimme Sum wasn't going to be going in there. There is one that opened up in Olathe at 119th and Blackbob and it was the worst food I have ever had.... :x
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

Stockton wrote: Gimme Sum for the pan-Asian. Chipotle for Tex-Mex.

Now what's the sandwich place going to be?

Let's hope for Panera at least, or maybe Cosi.

Earlier in this thread Subway, Jimmy John's, Planet Sub, and Quizno's were mentioned. They've all opened new shops within a few blocks distance. Mr. Goodcents still isn't downtown, except by Devin's definition. (That one is still on Main N. of 31st, right?).
Pot Belly?
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I really wish Gimme Sum wasn't going to be going in there. There is one that opened up in Olathe at 119th and Blackbob and it was the worst food I have ever had.... :x
Really? I've never eaten there. From their website, it sounds like a cool concept*. Sort of the Chipotle of Asian food.

Have you had Pei Wei or Panda Express?

Edit: Potbelly looks cute too. http://www.potbelly.com/ - No current Missouri locations.
Last edited by Stockton on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Stockton wrote: Really? I've never eaten there. From their website, it sounds like a cool concept*. Sort of the Chipotle of Asian food.

Wow Bao

I had Wow Bao in Chicago and its awesome. It would be perfect for P&L.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Looks like an even more interesting concept.

With Bo Lings opening, might as well grab lunch there rather than Gimme Sum, the out-of-town chain. Although when I'm alone, Gimme Sum might become convenient.

Cracka, what did you have at Gimme Sum and what are the prices?
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

That is Wow Bao's only location.  I would doubt that Lettuce Entertain You is looking to expand into the Chicago market.  I hope that maybe they move in some day, as I live in Chicago and love their Asian, French, Italian, and other type of places.  Lettue owns some great places that are mostly in Chicago, but with a few locations in the Twin Cities, Vegas, DC and Phoenix.  Anyway, just thought I would throw that out since I saw it mentioned.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

CityLiving wrote: Pot Belly?
Please please please please please!
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Stockton wrote: Really? I've never eaten there. From their website, it sounds like a cool concept*. Sort of the Chipotle of Asian food.

Edit: Potbelly looks cute too. http://www.potbelly.com/ - No current Missouri locations.
I have had Pei Wei and that is pretty good but Gimme Sum sucks!
Stockton wrote: Looks like an even more interesting concept.

With Bo Lings opening, might as well grab lunch there rather than Gimme Sum, the out-of-town chain. Although when I'm alone, Gimme Sum might become convenient.

Cracka, what did you have at Gimme Sum and what are the prices?
I had Teryiaki chicken with rice and something else that I dont remember what they called it. The chicken had no flavor at all and was really dry. The prices were reasonable...about 10-30 dollars a plate...just depends on what you wanted and how much of it you wanted.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

$10-$30 :shock: I thought these places were priced similar to (maybe slight more than) Panera and Chipotle. I don't think I'd eat at these places over local, real restaurants if they cost more than $10 or so for an entree and drink, especially at lunchtime. Bo Lings all the way! Or even a Chinese buffet.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Brodees wrote: Please please please please please!
The disparity between different locations really amazes me.  Our supposed exclusive district, The Plaza, got a California Pizza Kitchen, a place you can check out in a food court in LAX. Pot Belly? Every other street corner in Chicago, it seems, and right there past security in Midway too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anyone who was expecting an exclusive district from Cordish was kidding themselves.  A quick look at their work gives a reasonable expectation of what we will get (and have been getting).  Maybe eventually the quality will improve, but Cordish can't turn nothing into Chicago in one sweep.

Now the plaza is a whole different story that probably deserves its own thread.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Looks like Starbucks will be moving into H&R Block...has this been known in the past?  I assume they will be leaving City Center Square?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

KCPowercat wrote: Looks like Starbucks will be moving into H&R Block...has this been known in the past?  I assume they will be leaving City Center Square?
I wouldn't assume that.  Starbucks will put locations almost on top of each other in high density areas.  Maybe a good sign for KC...a Starbucks indicator.  It is really pathetic that we have only one Starbucks in the CBD currently (at least I only know of the one at City Center Square).  We should have at least 4 or 5 in the CBD if we had a truly vibrant downtown.