P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by kurtiebird »

I don't see any way it can stay there, so probably.
BBTSB
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: So does this mean they'll tear down that infernal skywalk between Pavillion and Jones? I hope so, as it blocks my view of the Chambers Lofts.
Can one even access that thing?  It looked like it was open, but I'm sure you can't actually get into the Jones building.

Speaking of gettting into the Jones building, imagine what it would be like to be able to explore that old, empty retail space.  Creepy.  I'd love to get in there.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

staubio wrote: Can one even access that thing? It looked like it was open, but I'm sure you can't actually get into the Jones building.
The skywalk goes through the corner of the Jones Store building. You're right, it doesn't lead into the building itself. And it is now closed indefinitely, while they knock down Jones. I'm not entirely clear on whether they'll leave the skywalk up, but it will be interesting to see.
BBTSB
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I'm sure they  will keep the skywalk.  Copaken will want to maintain all weather access from its town pavillion to its parking garage.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

When you're walking south across the skywalk toward the Jones Store, you used to be able to walk straight into the Jones Store.  The skywalk itself will probably stay, they *might* be able to preserve the bridge across the alley separating Jones and Chambers, but you actually walk through a portion of the Jones Store building as you move between the skywalk and Chambers-- I'm pretty sure that will go and have to be rebuilt.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

What is most amusing is they have 8 signs with big arrows on them plastered to the Boley building.  It amazes me that people would have such a difficult time crossing two streets and walking half a block that a few tasteful, more subtle signs wouldn't have worked.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

They are starting to remove the Jones sign at the 12th and Main intersection.
fastmouse
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by fastmouse »

This was actually sent out last night.

Who:
Mayor Kay Barnes, City Manager Wayne Cauthen, City Council Members, and the developers of Kansas City’s downtown entertainment district
When:
Thursday, April 21, 2005, at 9:45 a.m.
What:
The landscape of Kansas City’s downtown will see another dramatic change tomorrow, when the landmark Jones Store signs on the northeast corner of 12th and Main streets are removed by demolition crews that will soon begin work on the former Jones Store building.
Where:
The ceremony will take place downtown on the northeast corner of 12th St. and Main.
Public parking is available at the parking garage located at 12th and Walnut
Why:
Located between Kansas City’s Bartle Hall Convention Center expansion and the new Sprint Center, the entertainment district will cover seven city blocks. The mixed-use development will include more than 3 million square feet of destination entertainment and shopping venues; and residential, office and parking spaces, making it one of the largest downtown development projects in the Midwest.
fastmouse
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by fastmouse »

By the way...Has anybody heard anything about the residential?  I heard that this was the block for the first building. 
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

By the way...Has anybody heard anything about the residential?
17 story tower, 200-250 units on the Jones Store block, scheduled to open in 2007 was the last I heard. Anyone else heard anything more recently?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Just saw an article on this block on Fox 4 news at noon, with artist's rendering of the block. It looks nice, a combo of 2-3 story  buildings, with the residential tower set back a little behind a row of 2 story buildings, somewhat step-like.  A side note: Cordish announced that they were saving the Jones Store sign, and others and they will be displayed, as an homage to some of the district's long time tenants.  It'll be interesting to see how the incorporate the Jones Store sign.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

tat2kc wrote: Just saw an article on this block on Fox 4 news at noon, with artist's rendering of the block. It looks nice, a combo of 2-3 story  buildings, with the residential tower set back a little behind a row of 2 story buildings, somewhat step-like.  A side note: Cordish announced that they were saving the Jones Store sign, and others and they will be displayed, as an homage to some of the district's long time tenants.  It'll be interesting to see how the incorporate the Jones Store sign.
I think it would be cool to just randomly place letters from the sign in different places around the block.  Or, I always kind of liked how Abdiana took the Firestone letters and placed one inside on each floor of the building, so from the outside you can tell what it is, but inside there's just one huge neon letter hanging on the wall.  Something like this is a lot more interesting that just propping up the old intact signs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

tat2kc wrote: A side note: Cordish announced that they were saving the Jones Store sign, and others and they will be displayed, as an homage to some of the district's long time tenants. It'll be interesting to see how the incorporate the Jones Store sign.
I read that and got excited to see how they are going to do put the sign in the new district.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

I wonder if there's any way to place the sign on the new buildings like it is now.  I don't know, I've just always liked that sign.  It really adds to the streetscape.  Even though I'm happy to see the store go down and the new development take its place, it will be kind of sad to see the sign go if its not put back like it was.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Pre-demolition permit issued for the Jones Store building at KivaNet.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

When does full demolition start?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCDowntown wrote: Pre-demolition permit issued for the Jones Store building at KivaNet.

That's good since they've been pre-demolishing the inside for about 2 weeks now.  :)

I'm finally able to smell the smell that once earned the top story and 2 editorials in the KC Star, now that the building is opened up and crap being hauled out to dumpsters.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Be careful what you breath in.  A buddy of mine who works in a neighboring building was visiting with one of the demolition engineers awhile back and he told him that the inside of Jones is one big mass of toxic mold. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

It is my understanding that the Jones store is actually a pretty cool looking building that was covered up to "modernize" it with those panels that are there now.  I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of the past when it goes.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yep... some of it is carcinogenic.

From what I've heard this is the is either the largest moldy building, the moldiest large building, or the largest moldiest building ever demolished.   There's no precedent for how to take it down safely so it's being done very very carefully.