P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by bobbyhawks »

I guess this thread is appropriate...  I noticed last night on my way to the grocery store that there were temporary can lights on inside the space between the Main St. parking garage entrance and the shared stairwell for Cosentino's and the Jones.  I realize that Cordish sometimes uses these spaces to store things, but I was wondering if I had missed something that may be going into this location...

I still wonder why Cordish hasn't taken a smaller space like this and outfitted it with KC merchandise.  Honestly, what would it take to stock and staff?  Go to McGonigle's and buy a ton of BBQ sauce.  Throw in a few Jazz CDs and maps of the area attractions.  Voila.  They wouldn't even have to be open save a few conventions and weekend events.  Even better, just get Kansas Sampler to open their first "Kansas City Sampler."  Heck, the city should open an information center that sells chotchkies like that.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I still wonder why Cordish hasn't taken a smaller space like this and outfitted it with KC merchandise.  
Why hasn't somebody?  Kinda makes me nuts, the lack of entrepreneurial uumph in our community.  Somebody could have sold 10,000 "God loves KC" t-shirts this past weekend, and a little souvenier spot downtown would have to more than support itself year round.

Those community promoting items are self perpetuating and of underestimated importance.

Guess if my gig at the Broadway Bridge and 6th Street doesn't pick up soon, (stingy assed drivers!), I'll have to think about working it myself.
Last edited by loftguy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed.  How about something like the infamous ABC stores of Hawaii.  Mix of a qt and souvenir store. Seems pretty simple.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

This may have been mentioned elsewhere and is older news, but Polished nail salon is expanding into the space to the south on Main. I don't completely understand it, but the place always seems to be full after work. With the addition of the fitness center and the new apartment building, this leaves only one small storefront left on the block with no named occupant.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Yea that place is incredibly busy at all hours. It amazes me, but whatever :)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Time to widen the sidewalks to human width!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Close the garage entrance on Main and create one more retail stall.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

smh wrote:Time to widen the sidewalks to human width!
Yea it blows my mind how narrow this sidewalk is. You would think a prime stretch of the entertainment district like this would have been planned a little better. I mean if you can't widen the sidewalk, at least either take out the planters or make them smaller. I love street furniture but not on a narrow sidewalk. Ridiculous that you can't pass a single person on Main Street through our premier entertainment district without ducking to miss a tree branch or turning sideways to slide pass some other obstruction.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Demosthenes wrote:
Yea it blows my mind how narrow this sidewalk is. You would think a prime stretch of the entertainment district like this would have been planned a little better. I mean if you can't widen the sidewalk, at least either take out the planters or make them smaller. I love street furniture but not on a narrow sidewalk. Ridiculous that you can't pass a single person on Main Street through our premier entertainment district without ducking to miss a tree branch or turning sideways to slide pass some other obstruction.
It would be nice to have more space, but I sort of like the forced interactions and seeing how people handle them. I'm probably just weird. I also think it's interesting to see how different drivers deal with oncoming traffic while driving residential streets with parallel parking on both sides creating 1.5 driving lanes. It's a bit of a dance for dominance or submission.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

droopy wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
It would be nice to have more space, but I sort of like the forced interactions and seeing how people handle them. I'm probably just weird. I also think it's interesting to see how different drivers deal with oncoming traffic while driving residential streets with parallel parking on both sides creating 1.5 driving lanes. It's a bit of a dance for dominance or submission.

Haha yea you're weird.

Nah, what you're talking about can actually be pretty fascinating, though I find the driving one much more fun. The narrow sidewalk is more annoying to me. But driving on our narrow 2 lane roads where you have to duck in and out of parking spots is so much fun. I'm sure some people hate it but it is always an exciting adventure to me. I never really see any problems either, which goes to show that we can get by with narrow streets just fine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So now there is a sign saying this garage is only for Cosentinos, one light, one life, etc. etc......which has to be super confusing for general public looking for places to park and a huge "PARK" sign on Main and Walnut entrances.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:So now there is a sign saying this garage is only for Cosentinos, one light, one life, etc. etc......which has to be super confusing for general public looking for places to park and a huge "PARK" sign on Main and Walnut entrances.
is this new sign on both entrances?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The signs noting that aren't up all the time, but appear to be up whenever there's staff manning the entrances (event nights and weekends).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe it's both entrances. It was up yesterday afternoon when I walked by without staff manning the gates (which was ridiculous as I saw them pre-screening drivers before making a nice little backup)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I believe it's both entrances. It was up yesterday afternoon when I walked by without staff manning the gates (which was ridiculous as I saw them pre-screening drivers before making a nice little backup)
that entrance just needs to be closed. it's not good for anyone -- drivers, pedestrians, or streetcar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agree with that.

Still not going to resolve this problem of advertising a huge "PARK" sign and then a laundry list of businesses that actually can use the garage. Especially given people have used this for public parking for events for years.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The sign was out over the lunch hour today.

I don't remember it being out when I walked by Monday evening...maybe the IHOP (ugh) convention counts as an event for the garage's purposes?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:Image

surely there must be a building we can raze to restore out parking stock!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.