P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by staubio »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is there a date on that photo?  I always liked the basement of the store where to go from the east to west side you had to go down some step to a tunnel under the alley.  I wonder what happened the the Xmas train they had for years. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

moderne wrote:     Is there a date on that photo?  I always liked the basement of the store where to go from the east to west side you had to go down some step to a tunnel under the alley.  I wonder what happened the the Xmas train they had for years. 
November 1957
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

They started putting up the big white barricades/walls this morning on Main Street, closing off at least one lane (maybe two, I don't remember for sure).
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

The Cordish Co., developer of the downtown entertainment district, is continuing to tweak the 200-unit condominium building that is planned for the former Jones Store site. At a recent gathering of the Downtowners, a pro-downtown social group, attendees were told the tower now is expected to be 22 stories tall, instead of the 15 originally envisioned.

Blake Cordish declined to get specific but confirmed the company was revising the design to make the building taller and more slender.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Sweet!  This will be another great addition to our skyline.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

awesome.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

22 stories tall for the residential tower is just awesome.  Thats going to be an incredible addition to the skyline. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: 22 stories tall for the residential tower is just awesome.  Thats going to be an incredible addition to the skyline. 
I think we should applaud Cordish for fine-tuning the building to be more urban rather than just adding more height to the skyline. The original design was very wide and hopefully the new one will look taller, more slender, and sleeker.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

The question now is what will be placed in the space saved by making it taller. Has that been addressed already? If so, sorry.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the space saved will be minimial...I think it was all going to be built on a garage anyways, wasn't it????  According to page #1, the high rise condo would just be built above retail.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Some pictures of this block as it looks today.   The stage of abatement they appear to be at now, based on other demolitions in the district, makes me think we are probably about 3, maybe 4 weeks away from seeing this start to come down.  They'll probably need to set up a new staging area for H&R Block first.

Last week there were guys on cherry pickers doing something to the exterior of this section of the building.   What, I don't know.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Are those white fences in the first and last pictures new?  When I was there last week I didn't see any on the south or east sides which I figured meant we're a long ways off from seeing this come down.

They seem to have emptied the northern half of the state building's parking lot....wonder if that will be the new staging area?
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

scooterj wrote:
Last week there were guys on cherry pickers doing something to the exterior of this section of the building.   What, I don't know.

They were pulling off metal trim pieces that were in between the stone panels.  The workers were wearing respirators too. . . this is comforting to see when you're walking by on the sidewalk just across the street.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

The old Jones Store is coming down.  Workers are starting on the northeast corner just above the skywalk to Town Pavilion.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Yes!!!  :D

I am so ready for this to baby to come down.  Do you have any pictures of demolition?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Big Red Storm wrote: Yes!!!  :D

I am so ready for this to baby to come down.  Do you have any pictures of demolition?
I can't take any interesting pics as all I can see from my angle is a small hole in the roof.  Kurtiebird should have an EXCELLENT view, though.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

It doesn't quite appear to be in the "all out knock the building down" mode, but they are definitely punching holes in the exterior skin of the building.  I'm guessing the whole building will be gone in two weeks . . . maybe less.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCBoom wrote: It doesn't quite appear to be in the "all out knock the building down" mode, but they are definitely punching holes in the exterior skin of the building.  I'm guessing the whole building will be gone in two weeks . . . maybe less.
I don't know... it's a moldy building and the TWA building took something like 2 months.  They said this would be a 6 month demolition and they're only about 2 months into it.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Good point scooterj.  So let's assume there are 3 to 4 months to go in the demolition--that would put the start of condo construction sometime around December or January.  How long is it going to take them to construct a 22-story condo tower?  12 months?  Are we looking at 2007 before the first tower is done?