P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by Angel »

KC Kropf wrote: Crazy on the 909 rooftop.... I used to live there and there were always non residents hosting events there... I know the management pretty well, if you want me to make a request of them let me know. 
That would be awesome!  We're waiting to see on the Terrace at Grand, but I just might take you up on that. :)
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Angel wrote: That would be awesome!  We're waiting to see on the Terrace at Grand, but I just might take you up on that. :)
So I assume this is for a wedding.. but if not, they do allow non-wedding events for non-residents. 

"We do rent the garden out for events but not for weddings, receptions or rehearsal dinners unless the event is for a resident.  I would recommend that your friend look at the downtown library.  They have a pretty cool rooftop space that they rent out for events."

My balcony faces Terrace on Grand and I've seen some pretty cool set ups there. 
On to the Next One
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

For anyone interested in the future, I finally go ahold of someone at Cordish about renting the green roof and they do, indeed, rent it out for private events for $3,000.  They also allow tents and bands/DJs up there.  I guess since it's managed by Cordish and not the city, and it's part of the P&L, they don't have to follow the rules that other rooftop spaces downtown do.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Def the wrong time of year for it to open, but a self-serve yogurt concept would work nicely in one of the vacant spots along Main between 12th and 13th. I'm not particularly a fan, but I can see the attraction for tourists, residents as well as office workers. It seems like KC gets a lot of conventions with teens and they'd rock the joint day and night while they're here. Red Mango or Yogurtini...
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

trailerkid wrote: Def the wrong time of year for it to open, but a self-serve yogurt concept would work nicely in one of the vacant spots along Main between 12th and 13th. I'm not particularly a fan, but I can see the attraction for tourists, residents as well as office workers. It seems like KC gets a lot of conventions with teens and they'd rock the joint day and night while they're here. Red Mango or Yogurtini...
There was a self serve frozen yougurt concept next to Chipotle which didn't survive.  I think maybe now and having it off of main might have a higher survival rate.  I love Yougurtini and it was packed yesterday with the nice weather. Pumpkin spice and cheescake frozen yougurt with pie crust and white chocoloate chips.  Mmmmmmm.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

How many more months are left on this go round of the frozen yogurt fad?  six? 

Terrible long term investment; sooner or later people always wake up and realize its nasty old fronzen yogurt and a poor replacement for the ice cream they really want. 
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How many more months are left on this go round of the frozen yogurt fad?  six? 

Terrible long term investment; sooner or later people always wake up and realize its nasty old fronzen yogurt and a poor replacement for the ice cream they really want. 
have you tried Red Mango or Yourgurtini?  I'd go there over ice cream any day.  :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

geeman68 wrote: have you tried Red Mango or Yourgurtini?  I'd go there over ice cream any day.  :)
Sure.  A fancy topping bar does not cover up the fact that it isn't ice cream. 

A fad that is already past its expiration date. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

OK ice cream shop then.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How many more months are left on this go round of the frozen yogurt fad?  six?  

I think yogurt is here to stay. It is too prolific of a trend to die instantly. Like someone else said...it's a very good alternative to stuff like DQ, Cold Stone, or even McDonalds.
KCPowercat wrote: OK ice cream shop then.
Glace #2 would be INCREDIBLE for P+L.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote:
this is what i was thinking.  instant hit.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

It seems like this corner is hitting a stride.  I've been in Latte Land several times and they seem to be doing well.  It's a far better experience than Savvy was.  I finally made it into MeMa's Bakery this morning.  It's very warm and inviting, and looks like everything is made fresh.  They had a selection of breakfast croissants, including a ham, cheese and egg that was outstanding.  And I've seen lines out the door during lunch hours. 

Now if these two places can join forces and make some outdoor sidewalk seating happen this spring....
trailerkid wrote:
Yep. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Now if these two places can join forces and make some outdoor sidewalk seating happen this spring....
Agree, but there is barely room to walk on the east side of Main. IMO one of the biggest design flaws of the entire P+L.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Agree, but there is barely room to walk on the east side of Main. IMO one of the biggest design flaws of the entire P+L.
for me, it's the oversized street tree boxes on 14th, the shitty sidewalk brickwork throughout, the until-last-week-still-unfinished parking lot edges, the complete waste of window space on the east side of the mainstreet theater...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, and the complete loss of opportunity along Grand to create outdoor seating.  14th Street could have been done a lot better to create an outdoor seating environment. It has a grand setting with view down the street of the Sprint Center on the East, the Mainstreet Theater and Power and Light Building beacon on the West.  The Copaken Theater is too insular and doesn't have a grand street entrance. And I agree that the sidewalks along Main are too narrow.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: for me, it's the oversized street tree boxes on 14th, the shitty sidewalk brickwork throughout, the until-last-week-still-unfinished parking lot edges, the complete waste of window space on the east side of the mainstreet theater...
agree on the tree boxes. it irks me that design flaws like that really make the area quasi-treacherous whenever there are large crowds down there. it almost becomes unpleasant when the big convention crowds descend on the area. i'm not sure why big, broad sidewalks weren't a design priority when there were strong pedestrian connections are written all over the rest of the design. i'm guessing maybe Cordish wanted to just squeeze out as many square feet as possible?

i don't think the brickwork problems or parking lot edges are much of an issue to the naked eye for an "outsider" such as myself. there's so many other things going on for the eye that stuff gets lost.
FangKC wrote: Yes, and the complete loss of opportunity along Grand to create outdoor seating.  14th Street could have been done a lot better to create an outdoor seating environment.
Huh? There is outdoor seating at almost every single restaurant on 14th.

I agree on Grand, however, it is much more nightlife-oriented tenants like McFadden's, Johnny's, Pizza Bar. I don't see large patios as being particularly useful for this type of use.
Last edited by trailerkid on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is not enough outdoor seating. And several of the entrances/outdoor patios aren't designed to meet the street well. There are set up high and create a hostile street experience.  The sidewalks along 14th Street should have been wider so that you could have a couple rows of tables on the sidewalk and still allow pedestrian traffic.

The architects should have gone to Europe like J.C. Nichols did to get ideas about how to create effective street spaces and cafe seating.

I'm pretty sure now that I could have done a better job designing the Power & Light District layout.

http://www.cooltownstudios.com/images/b ... chers3.jpg
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Last edited by FangKC on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

How do you create that sort of thing when when the blocks facing 14th Street aren't flat? You do see actual sidewalk cafe seating at Fran's, Raglan, Famous Dave's, and some others; but very few of the blocks are flat enough.