P&L District: 14th & Baltimore site proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: P&L District: 14th & Baltimore site proposal

Post by Tosspot »

Corpocracy takes on Indie films....what irony (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing  :) ).

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tosspot wrote: Corpocracy takes on Indie films....what irony (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing  :) ).
You're late...

See Landmark and Angelika Fim Center for corporate houses...

...and see dozens and dozens of "indie film studios" owned by big film studios...

There is  A LOT of money in it.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

trailerkid wrote: It would be completely stupid for AMC to roll out a regular theater downtown like Crown Center at this point. Their megaplexes are built for suburban brats and wouldn't attract that element being in the center of the city. If they do the indie concept right and offer a little bit of a sophisticated urban venue...they will make tons of money.
Are you saying that Hollywood movies are only for suburban people?  I have trouble believing that people living downtown and in an urban environment wouldn't want to see Hollywood movies.  I know you want to believe that all people downtown are urban hipsters that only like indie movies, but that is not the case.  There is nothing wrong with indie, but there is also nothing wrong with the Hollywood films.  I think one would succeed there just as well as an indie theatre.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Big Red Storm wrote: Are you saying that Hollywood movies are only for suburban people?  I have trouble believing that people living downtown and in an urban environment wouldn't want to see Hollywood movies.  I know you want to believe that all people downtown are urban hipsters that only like indie movies, but that is not the case.  There is nothing wrong with indie, but there is also nothing wrong with the Hollywood films.  I think one would succeed there just as well as an indie theatre.
Think about the demos that live downtown for one minute. People like tat and KC(P) come to mind and then you've got your empty nesters. These people are probably not interested in seeing the Pacifier or an Ashton Kutcher movie. Certainly there are big time movies that attract a more urban, hip demos (see: Aviator, Million Dollar Baby) and I'd assume AMC would take this into consideration. The idea is that they will program to the demos and the market. I don't see them programming goofy family movies and teen comedies.

BTW, mainstream indie films kick the shit out of mainstream Hollywood films. No contest.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

trailerkid wrote: Think about the demos that live downtown for one minute. People like tat and KC(P) come to mind and then you've got your empty nesters. These people are probably not interested in seeing the Pacifier or an Ashton Kutcher movie. Certainly there are big time movies that attract a more urban, hip demos (see: Aviator, Million Dollar Baby) and I'd assume AMC would take this into consideration. The idea is that they will program to the demos and the market. I don't see them programming goofy family movies and teen comedies.

BTW, mainstream indie films kick the shit out of mainstream Hollywood films. No contest.
I agree crappy films like the Pacifier or other family films wouldn't go down very well, but like you said there are many other Hollywood films that would appeal to downtowners.  I think if the Empire is made into a couple screen theatre showing wisely chosen Hollywood movies, it would succeed.  What would be kind of cool is if some of the screens showed Hollywood films, and some showed independant films.  That would give a wide variety for the public to chose from.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

"Happy days are here again." I'm just thrilled the Empire is getting restored. I don't care what movies will be shown.  I'm also happy to see the Midland Tower being converted to housing.  It gives me hope that maybe someday empty hotels like Citi-Center and the old Muehlebach's upper floors might be converted to housing as well.

Reading that quote from Cordish about the value of historic buildings also made me wonder why the hell they didn't save the TWA Training Building and convert it into loft apartments.  One of the primary reasons the loss of the TWA Bldg. is such a source of irritation to me is because Baltimore is one of the only streets downtown that retains most of its historic context.  It's easy to walk down it and get a feel of what 1920-40s Kansas City was like. It's sort of like a time capsule of architecture as well.  I hated to see one more part of it removed. It also makes me sick because in the updated Sasaki Plan they outright state the historic buildings are a valuable asset -- especially for housing because they provide a living experience not found in the suburbs. Then they make a statement about the dwindling inventory of historic buildings for conversion.

It's also great to see a move to increase usage of the Midland Theater.  It sits empty far too many nights. Such a beautiful theater should be seen by the public. It's as much a part of the entertainment experience as what's being booked on stage. Personally, I'd like to see more theatre done downtown.  Even if it's stuff like is done at the New Theater. Of course, I'd also like to see Broadway plays and musicals performed downtown for longer runs as well. A four-day visit isn't the same.  I think having some plays and musicals downtown will may Kansas City more interesting for conventioneers and visitors.  It will give them something to do in the evening other than eat at a restaurant.

It's the same way with the old Italian Gardens restaurant. I was thinking the other day that it would be perfect as a new home for the theatrical groups like Unicorn Theatre or Late Night Theatre troupe.  It could be reconfigured as a small theatre or cabaret, and they could reopen the little cocktail lounge as well.  The building itself offers a little bit of architectural whimsy.  This is one reason I think it would be perfect as a performance theatre space.  Tearing it down for a parking garage nauseates me.  Why the hell can't they include more parking space for City Center by adding floors onto the garage at 11th and Baltimore, or more spaces/floors to the city garage on the old Jones Store site in the Power and Light District?  I mean it's not like they aren't still in the planning stages of a construction project right across the street.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

hell the only reason I'd see the Pacifier is for the star.  :wink:  His movies suck, but the eye candy works for me. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

I know it's not a hip place, but what's wrong with Crown Center for first run movies? Granted, it isn't spectacular, but I believe it's now the cheapest ticket in the Metro, and it certainly gets the job done.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Boognish wrote: I know it's not a hip place, but what's wrong with Crown Center for first run movies? Granted, it isn't spectacular, but I believe it's now the cheapest ticket in the Metro, and it certainly gets the job done.
I haven't seen a movie at Crown Center, but I guess people like tat have a problem with the young people who hang out in that area.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

my problem with Crown Center is the kids talking and coming in and out of the theater, with no respect to those already watching the movie, the cell phones ringing and people answering them, and folks putting their feet up on the chairs in front of them and giving you a dirty look if you try and sit there.  I gave it 3 trys, and the last time I walked out and asked for my money back.  Haven't been back in 3 years.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

That would indeed be awful. I've only been a couple of times in the last few years, and I didn't have any problems. But even one experience like that would keep me from coming back.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Some progress on this block.  Quite a bit of utility work about to start it looks like.

This will be one hell of a cool shot when everything is complete.

Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KCN wrote: This will be one hell of a cool shot when everything is complete.

Absolutely. I can see the KC visitors bureau brochure cover now: in the foreground, the Drum Room and the new jazz club; further down, the glittering neon of P&L along both sides of 14th street; in the background at the terminus of 14th, Sprint Center with indoor lights filtering through the reflected evening twilight; and people everywhere....

They do need to do something about the pigeon hangout on top of the Empire dome. Look at all those bastages up there. They are non-stop scatological devices. It's amazing the dome is in as good a shape as it is.
Last edited by Gladstoner on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon united.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Someone should take the tree on the roof and transplant it somewhere else as a sign of the renewal of downtown.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

I like the numbers and "reserved" designations painted on the side of the Empire 15 feet off the ground (where the former parking structure was).  It would be cool to see that preserved as an interior wall in the new building-- it would be an interesting way of remembering the old garage that was torn down.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yes because we will always want to remember our legacy as a town full of parking.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

To remember how far we've come.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

or to remember how bad it got
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Pessimist!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah, thats me, a pessemist. NOT. i just dont want to think too often about how bad we let this get, thats all