P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Post by KCMax »

Lovebird nestles in at Power and Light
The locally owned shop, at 1330 Main St., is nestled between the Jos. A Bank men's clothing store and the Garment District Boutique, a collective of several retailers....

The soft opening was last weekend but it will celebrate its grand opening from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday with champagne and appetizers supplied by the district's Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge...

Prices range from $4 for soap to $189 for William Rast jeans, but most items are under $100.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can't even carry a few dude things?  No love from lovebird.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote: Can't even carry a few dude things?  No love from lovebird.
Dude clothing options suck in KC.  Seriously, can we get an H&M?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

bobbyhawks wrote: Dude clothing options suck in KC.  Seriously, can we get an H&M?
It's not that bad.  There's Standard as well as the Garment District shops which carries quite a few cool dude clothes.  Urban Outfitters has some fun stuff as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Garment district does a good job and envolve has some stuff too.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Is Bunker in Westport relevant anymore for hip 20 something threads?  They supposedly keep up with the Chicago labels.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote: Garment district does a good job and envolve has some stuff too.
Envolve has like 3 men's shirts.  Garment has a few cool items, but from what I could tell, they are mixed in with Affliction-esque, glittery shlock.  I think I looked through their entire selection of men's clothes in 45 seconds.  I was in a hurry, so perhaps it warrants another walk through.

Bunker is cool, but $90 for a pearl snap that H&M sells for $45 is a stretch.  I've always been kinda stingy when it comes to clothes, though.  I never understood how guys could spend $250 on jeans.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Can't even carry a few dude things?  No love from lovebird.
Maybe if she's successful here Cordish will get her to do a mens store. lovebird might be one of the better shops down there. The owner studied retail and has some pretty unique products she's bringing to KC.

Hall's Crown Center has a pretty great mens department and some amazing sales racks-- best kept secret in the metro. Blvd Blues also has great prices on name brands like Ben Sherman, Kid Robot, Scotch & Soda, Modern Amusement. Those store are so slept on it's not even funny.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

trailerkid wrote: Blvd Blues also has great prices on name brands like Ben Sherman, Kid Robot, Scotch & Soda, Modern Amusement. Those store are so slept on it's not even funny.
Never even heard of that place before.  Thanks for the suggestion.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Boulevard Blues is owned by Halls and often have surplus Halls items at great discounts.  They get stuff in from both Halls on the Plaza and Halls Crown Center.  You can really find some bargains there.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: Hall's Crown Center has a pretty great mens department and some amazing sales racks-- best kept secret in the metro.
I was hoping to keep this a secret, I have found some great deals there. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Highlander wrote: I was hoping to keep this a secret, I have found some great deals there. 
don't worry. people in the burbs don't realize they can buy nicer clothes at Crown Center than any of their malls. your secrets safe.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

All this talk of great men's clothes and no mention of Method? For shame...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cknab1 wrote: Boulevard Blues is owned by Halls and often have surplus Halls items at great discounts.  They get stuff in from both Halls on the Plaza and Halls Crown Center.  You can really find some bargains there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: don't worry. people in the burbs don't realize they can buy nicer clothes at Crown Center than any of their malls. your secrets safe.
I was floored the first time I went to Halls. Really high quality stuff for less than what you'd pay at chains. With clerks that actually KNOW about what men are supposed to wear. The guy GAVE ME HIS CARD. That was awesome.

It does seem like a secret. Do they do any kind of marketing at all? Frankly I was surprised they were still in business, for some reason I thought they had closed their doors long ago.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote: I was floored the first time I went to Halls. Really high quality stuff for less than what you'd pay at chains. With clerks that actually KNOW about what men are supposed to wear. The guy GAVE ME HIS CARD. That was awesome.

It does seem like a secret. Do they do any kind of marketing at all? Frankly I was surprised they were still in business, for some reason I thought they had closed their doors long ago.
Most of us Hallmarkers all dress alike because we shop those awesome deals.  We get internal emails about the sales, but they also do a lot of sale notifications through facebook.  They cart a lot of product from the Plaza location and drop it off at CC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Halls stays in business primarily because its' sales are mostly to Hallmark staff. :D  It's called employee salary recovery.  :P

Now, if they would just take the same principle, and build residential housing on those surface parking lots south of 27th Street, and rent or sell to their own employees.
There is no fifth destination.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^I dunno, Halls serves all the office workers in the area.  I shop there over lunch sometimes (few times a year) as do others in my building in CC area.  But employee support is likely significant.

CC would be better off with leased units at this point but don't count on new condos anytime soon in CC or downtown.  High end condo appraisals are taking a big hit since they aren't moving.  And there is no such thing as low end or even midrange high rise condos, newly constructed that is.  
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

trailerkid wrote: Maybe if she's successful here Cordish will get her to do a mens store. lovebird might be one of the better shops down there. The owner studied retail and has some pretty unique products she's bringing to KC.

Hall's Crown Center has a pretty great mens department and some amazing sales racks-- best kept secret in the metro. Blvd Blues also has great prices on name brands like Ben Sherman, Kid Robot, Scotch & Soda, Modern Amusement. Those store are so slept on it's not even funny.
Agreed.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

FangKC wrote: Halls stays in business primarily because its' sales are mostly to Hallmark staff. :D  It's called employee salary recovery.  :P

Now, if they would just take the same principle, and build residential housing on those surface parking lots south of 27th Street, and rent or sell to their own employees.
I've heard they do have the plans all done to do the residential on all the surface lots. Even interest from Starbucks to take a corner. I think it would be townhouses...but they are painfully slow at doing anything and will wait for the market turnaround.