P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
cknab1
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 13th & Baltimore site proposal

Post by cknab1 »

There are plans for another San Francisco Tower, a 17 story tower vs. the 31 story tower that exists now.  That tower would be tucked in along Grand just south of the current one.  There are also plans for townhomes along Main Street where the tennis courts are now.  Those would be just north of the Morrison Stinson Law Building parking garage.  But until the economy turns around nothing is going to happen.  Hallmark Cards is still struggling to return to the old days.  We used to make money without even trying.  Now we are trying hard but haven?t found the right mix of product.  Greeting cards are a very mature market and it?s tough to make the leap when so much of your business is wrapped up old equipment and old ways of doing things.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

cknab1 wrote: There are plans for another San Francisco Tower, a 17 story tower vs. the 31 story tower that exists now.  That tower would be tucked in along Grand just south of the current one.  There are also plans for townhomes along Main Street where the tennis courts are now.  Those would be just north of the Morrison Stinson Law Building parking garage.   But until the economy turns around nothing is going to happen.  Hallmark Cards is still struggling to return to the old days.  We used to make money without even trying.  Now we are trying hard but haven?t found the right mix of product.  Greeting cards are a very mature market and it?s tough to make the leap when so much of your business is wrapped up old equipment and old ways of doing things.
You all have Martha Stewart now. That was a pretty big get I'd imagine.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

There are plans for another San Francisco Tower, a 17 story tower vs. the 31 story tower that exists now.  That tower would be tucked in along Grand just south of the current one.  There are also plans for townhomes along Main Street where the tennis courts are now.  Those would be just north of the Morrison Stinson Law Building parking garage.  But until the economy turns around nothing is going to happen. 
I'm not hopeful.  Those plans, plus plans on McGee Trafficway were all in place while the economy was roaring last.  Nothing happened.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yesterdays paper stated street parking on main between 12 and 14. That should help the retailers along main and their customers.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Yesterdays paper stated street parking on main between 12 and 14. That should help the retailers along main and their customers.
yeah, right.

i walked by last night and the spaces were full... but the stores were empty. since there's no way to avoid people using these spaces to simply visit the live block, i doubt this will save the retail.

not to mention it erodes one of the few bus lanes we have.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote:
not to mention it erodes one of the few bus lanes we have.
i was wondering about this. they need to eliminate lanes of actual traffic and leave what little footprint for mass transit that exists. still, the parking spots are a good idea. the P+L shops staying open until at least 9:00 PM leading up to the Holidays is a better one. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

we parked off Main yesterday to head into Kobe for lunch. We decided to stop into Garment District. Didn't buy anything, but at least we stopped in...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: we parked off Main yesterday to head into Kobe for lunch. We decided to stop into Garment District. Didn't buy anything, but at least we stopped in...
I get what Dave is saying, but I see no problem whatsoever with people using the parking for other P+L businesses. Exactly what YOU did is the whole idea of having a district to find shops, eats, and entertainment. Why does the parking need to be exclusively for retail? That's like saying if park near a mall entrance you need to be shopping at the specific store closest to the mall entrance or if you park on the Plaza next to Cheesecake Factory you must be eating there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I get what Dave is saying, but I see no problem whatsoever with people using the parking for other P+L businesses. Exactly what YOU did is the whole idea of having a district to find shops, eats, and entertainment. Why does the parking need to be exclusively for retail? That's like saying if park near a mall entrance you need to be shopping at the specific store closest to the mall entrance or if you park on the Plaza next to Cheesecake Factory you must be eating there.
got no problem with it either, but retail was the precise justification for the change and record implementation time by the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I noticed something today that annoys me. The signage for Kobe Japanese Steakhouse is already burned out. Only some of the letters light up. I can't believe this is already happening. Someone get Cordish on this. :D

I'm still annoyed by that strange utility courtyard off Baltimore that doesn't appear to have any use other that to store junk. There aren't any loading docks or anything back there.

Does anyone know if that courtyard is where they planned to build the H&R Block Tower II that was in the original plan, and that probably will never be built?

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:I noticed something today that annoys me. The signage for Kobe Japanese Steakhouse is already burned out. Only some of the letters light up. I can't believe this is already happening. Someone get Cordish on this. :D

I'm still annoyed by that strange utility courtyard off Baltimore that doesn't appear to have any use other that to store junk. There aren't any loading docks or anything back there.

Does anyone know if that courtyard is where they planned to build the H&R Block Tower II that was in the original plan, and that probably will never be built?

I will second that the courtyard is super lame. And those Kobe lights have been out for a while. Definite bummer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think that's just loading docks for the future retail.

The burned out kobe lights is frustrating.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are only two doors back there for all those stores.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure but I don't think it was ever intended as a public space.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Not sure but I don't think it was ever intended as a public space.
Right, it isn't a public space, but the public looks right in as they walk by and it is hideous. They should at least put up a nice gate or something. It's just another giant hole in the street fabric.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They did have a gate at one time. I rarely walk down that block so I'm jot sure. Seems like a pretty small problem to worry about though.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:They did have a gate at one time. I rarely walk down that block so I'm jot sure. Seems like a pretty small problem to worry about though.

This city is full of small problems.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And big ones :)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What city isn't?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:What city isn't?
Naturally. I'm just saying that we should still discuss them, even if they are small. If you could knock a few simple things of the list it might assist remedying larger problems.