Fixing p&l traffic backups

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: 3) Garage access from Baltimore apparently doesn't provide an easy path to Main Street (garage layout is like a "double helix", I'm told... whatever that means).
i was going to try and describe, but this image does a better job.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/ ... eyside.pdf
Page 3

I think Town Pavillion garage may be this design but would need to walk it again to be certain.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

flyingember wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: 3) Garage access from Baltimore apparently doesn't provide an easy path to Main Street (garage layout is like a "double helix", I'm told... whatever that means).
i was going to try and describe, but this image does a better job.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/ ... eyside.pdf
Page 3

I think Town Pavillion garage may be this design but would need to walk it again to be certain.

Commerce garage (Arcade) is that way too. Until you're used to it it can make it confusing trying to find your car again.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

town pavilion is double helix. it's kind of a quadruple helix as grand side and walnut side independently helix their way on up there.

they 100% should block left turns into the midland garage from northbound traffic. that alone might not do enough though as most of these idiots will just spin around and approach from the north. have seen some insanely stupid driving stunts off the petticoat/main light during midland events during events over the past month or so. needs to be pay on exit if payment is throttling the intake. also need to stop allowing garage exits onto main.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote:also need to stop allowing garage exits onto main.
I don't think we've allowed any new curb cuts on Main since streetcar started operating. The dual flag Marriott was almost open by the time the line opened (and the Main entrance is rarely used, and often closed). All proposals since then have received a lot of scrutiny (Hampton Inn, for example, which had it's car entrance moved to the alley).
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

isn't corrigan slated for one?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote:isn't corrigan slated for one?
In the same spot where one exists today. If I recall, the number of spaces in the new structure will not be much more than are there today as a surface lot.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

touche. i would prefer a world where (re)development of any parcels on the street car line had to relocate curb cuts off of main. but then i hate cars. so.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote:touche. i would prefer a world where (re)development of any parcels on the street car line had to relocate curb cuts off of main. but then i hate cars. so.
The best we've gotten so far is a reduction in the number of existing curb cuts or their size, per parcel. There are Public Works standards for both. The City is rarely interested in dictating these standards, but gently encouraging property owners or developers to comply.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I work from time to time in One KC Place.

The Berkeley CA diagram is a good approximation. The Baltimore entry to the One KC garage is also three half-levels above the Main Street entry. To switch between the "Baltimore floors" and the "Main Street floors", you have to cross over at certain junctions, which also switches your direction (up-to-down or down-to-up). Consequently, the Main Street entry is several minutes closer to the larger footprint floors that extend into the four sub-basements of the tower. If I was going to the theater, I would want to enter on Main. Entry on Baltimore (which is an up-only entry) also means no crossover junction until two levels further up and would be counter-intuitive if you wanted to do something on Main Street.

Also, payment is at check-out. You only have to collect a ticket upon entry. Executive Hills has recently updated the garage payments system to reduce the overnight cashier staff to one. The Baltimore exit is now often unstaffed. For some reason, garage guests like to stop and ask questions of the cashier upon entry, even though there is no requirement to do so.

Most of the regulars prefer the Baltimore entry; most guests prefer the Main Street entry.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Another event at the Midland tonight. The center lane was blocked to prevent northbound traffic from turning into the garage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

blocked by cones, etc? Did it help?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Yes definitely. Northbound traffic was mostly smooth flowing up until the Metro Center stop since everyone was trying to turn left onto 11th. Now what was terrible was Baltimore going in either direction. It was standstill for around 4-5 light cycles since everyone (mostly buses) were blocking traffic going down 12th. I drove by and not a soul was entering the rear entrance into the garage. I don't even believe they had an attendant back there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Picture from KC streetcar didn't show it was blocked.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

It was blocked initially by a streetcar vehicle with cones. As traffic got worse more police were there to support (Just have their lights on) as I saw two police vehicles at the max.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

gfenn11 wrote:As traffic got worse more police were there to support (Just have their lights on) as I saw two police vehicles at the max.
You should see this more often on event nights.