Fixing p&l traffic backups

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby StrangerThings » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:24 pm

How about the structural work being done to the Andrews McNeil building?! Slowest project ever and has caused some issues. At least they now have scaffolding in place so the sidewalks are available. I feel terrible for the guy who leased the space across the street to put in a picklemans. I really hope he’s not having to pay.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby TheLastGentleman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

StrangerThings wrote:How about the structural work being done to the Andrews McNeil building?! Slowest project ever and has caused some issues. At least they now have scaffolding in place so the sidewalks are available. I feel terrible for the guy who leased the space across the street to put in a picklemans. I really hope he’s not having to pay.


Are you talking about the old Boley building? Collison did an article saying work on it was finally being wrapped up

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby TheLastGentleman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm


WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby WoodDraw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

The problem isn't really cordish, but the city being actively awful at enforcing codes. I don't blame developers for taking the cheapest way out.

I've complained for a year about the old federal reserve being a rat and pigeon infested shit hole. Nothing ever happens.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby tower » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:55 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Demanding better out of our quality of life...yes even during construction...isn't comical. It should be our standard that every construction project respects the already existing environment. If a company doesn't respect that lets get someone in here that does.

I just got back from New York and walked through numerous construction site of buildings 3 times the size of two light...and didnt have to cross the street due to closed sidewalks...it's not hard.


If it is a larger, more expensive building, they can attach cranes to the top, or use an internal tower crane that "hops" to a new platform every couple of floors. An external tower crane will take up the sidewalk and a lane of road, regardless of the building size. Both of the other methods are unnecessary in this case and would add to the cost. If the city doesn't care about the closures, the for-profit company building it won't, for damn sure.

Article about NYC cranes here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/expl ... pers_.html

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby StrangerThings » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 pm

WoodDraw wrote:The problem isn't really cordish, but the city being actively awful at enforcing codes. I don't blame developers for taking the cheapest way out.

I've complained for a year about the old federal reserve being a rat and pigeon infested shit hole. Nothing ever happens.


Did you say "shithole"?! ;) I've heard that word so much the last week. You're exactly right, a developer isn't going to spend more than they have to just to keep one lane of traffic open or a 100ft stretch of sidewalk.

It's sad seeing the old federal reserve building decay. Such a cool building.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby WoodDraw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 pm

I mean let's talk about the elephant in the room too. Cordish got a sweetheart development deal way back when and things haven't always been lovely between downtown and cordish. I think they have the reputation for thinking they can do whatever they want to and people should just be happy they're around. Anyway, too much criticism of them is answered with "well back back when they first started..." whether that's still true can be debated.

Blah blah blah.

I don't have any problem holding one of our most important landowners to a high standard. I won't get out the pitchforks for much said here, but they do always have an excuse for doing nothing.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby StrangerThings » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 pm

WoodDraw wrote:I mean let's talk about the elephant in the room too. Cordish got a sweetheart development deal way back when and things haven't always been lovely between downtown and cordish. I think they have the reputation for thinking they can do whatever they want to and people should just be happy they're around. Anyway, too much criticism of them is answered with "well back back when they first started..." whether that's still true can be debated.

Blah blah blah.

I don't have any problem holding one of our most important landowners to a high standard. I won't get out the pitchforks for much said here, but they do always have an excuse for doing nothing.


As someone who has been around from day 1, I can say that the relationship between the city and Cordish is pretty great. Sure, the city pushes back on some topics as they should but Cordish isn’t a corner cutting do the minimum type of company.

Certainly don’t have the attitude they can do anything they want to. Every decision made is with the city in mind. It’s not lost on them that they got a good deal. However it’s also not like Cordish is just making a pile of money and running off to the bank. Every penny spent is a long term investment into downtowns future. I’d assume Cordish is the biggest stake holder in the success or failure in the future of downtown.

I am curious what anyone thinks they’ve not done and what excuses have been made?

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm
Location: Lee's Summit

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby shinatoo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

StrangerThings wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:I mean let's talk about the elephant in the room too. Cordish got a sweetheart development deal way back when and things haven't always been lovely between downtown and cordish. I think they have the reputation for thinking they can do whatever they want to and people should just be happy they're around. Anyway, too much criticism of them is answered with "well back back when they first started..." whether that's still true can be debated.

Blah blah blah.

I don't have any problem holding one of our most important landowners to a high standard. I won't get out the pitchforks for much said here, but they do always have an excuse for doing nothing.


As someone who has been around from day 1, I can say that the relationship between the city and Cordish is pretty great. Sure, the city pushes back on some topics as they should but Cordish isn’t a corner cutting do the minimum type of company.

Certainly don’t have the attitude they can do anything they want to. Every decision made is with the city in mind. It’s not lost on them that they got a good deal. However it’s also not like Cordish is just making a pile of money and running off to the bank. Every penny spent is a long term investment into downtowns future. I’d assume Cordish is the biggest stake holder in the success or failure in the future of downtown.

I am curious what anyone thinks they’ve not done and what excuses have been made?


The citizens of Kansas City, present and future, are the biggest stakeholders in the success or failure downtown.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27883
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby KCPowercat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am

Exactly. Let's steer back to traffic.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby tower » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 pm

We should ban cars traveling on main for more than a block, like in Toronto. We couldn't design the street so that they would be forced off, like they did, but at the bare minimum, it might stop google maps from routing people down main.

Then once people have gotten used to using other side streets, pedestrianize every section of main without a garage opening, then eventually, as garages and lots go away, we will have a pedestrian and transit only street.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27883
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby KCPowercat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

I and others I know have edited google maps to suggest making it the not preferred street in it's routing. Not sure if it stuck.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby tower » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Image

Probably not. Either way, forcing cars to turn off after one block would still be a good idea. Toronto boosted travel times by 20-24% and boosted ridership by 25%.

We would have to force cars to turn left off main at most intersections, rather than turn right, but it would probably have the same effect to have right turn on/left turn off rather than right turn on/right turn off. Some intersections they could choose, because we already have right turn lanes.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27883
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Postby KCPowercat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Did it from OPKS and to downtown destinations and never went down main.


Return to “Power & Light District”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hgascoigne, Riverite and 1 guest