Six Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Six Light

Post by FangKC »

I can see protecting the Film Row, and many of the retail buildings, but I have no problem with some highrises being built on vacant lots in the Crossroads. It's part of the downtown business district, and I don't see why it should have some exemption. It's always going to be a case-by-case situation. I even balk at this "protect the view from the Kauffman Center" business.

I can even get behind demolition of Crossroads buildings for one if they are just plain one-story cinderblock warehouses.

One cannot expect to take one of the few neighborhoods in the City with a streetcar running through it, and then place a ban on new highrise construction in that same neighborhood. It defeats the whole purpose of creating density zones.

It also depends on what one is calling a highrise. I can see opposition to a 60-story building in some locations, but 10- to 15-story buildings seem reasonable in others.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote:
We wouldn’t buy a lot and build a new glassy modern building in the crossroads.
Bummer. :)

I hope to see companies/investors other than Cordish get involved in new-build high-rise residential sooner than later.

I'll welcome all the Light towers we can get but additional players are needed if KC is to prove itself a vibrant downtown residential market, IMO.
Let's get the people building that 40 story mixed use tower in Des Moines to build stuff in KC. This tower is a hotel, offices, a movie theater, and apartments.

Ps. This tower sounds a lot like the 4 Light Block to me. Hopefully 4 Light Looks something like this.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:One cannot expect to take one of the few neighborhoods in the City with a streetcar running through it, and then place a ban on new highrise construction in that same neighborhood. It defeats the whole purpose of creating density zones.
That's not what I said. It's not the what, it's the who.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Then who are these in opposition?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's the who as far as the developer specifically
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Guilty, but Crossroads is not where you’ll find the city’s highest rents...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m great with Cordish being in the Crossroads. It just seems like there is still so much to do in the CBD. But, if they want to do some bigger conversions like Tension Envelope, I’d be happy. Let the other developers handle the smaller conversions.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

550' hotel/office/apartment tower rumored to be in the works for downtown STL.
50 story tower rumored for riverfront STL.

Wish Cordish did something like this for 4,5,6 Light. Even better, I'd like to see an outside developer come in and build like this downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ldai_phs wrote:550' hotel/office/apartment tower rumored to be in the works for downtown STL.

Wish Cordish did something like this for 4,5,6 Light. Even better, I'd like to see an outside developer come in and build like this downtown.
Honest question though: Do we want a massive tower to soak up that much demand?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:550' hotel/office/apartment tower rumored to be in the works for downtown STL.

Yes, sorta. I want multiple developers building high rises/towers here such as what's happening in STL. Additionally, I feel like 1-2 50 story towers would do more help bringing attention to downtown from other developers and such than it would hurt.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ldai_phs wrote:
smh wrote:

Yes, sorta. I want multiple developers building high rises/towers here such as what's happening in STL. Additionally, I feel like 1-2 50 story towers would do more help bringing attention to downtown from other developers and such than it would hurt.
So we're shifting the demand curve you say. Sign me up.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That is the same tower "550' and 50 Floors". I think a large scale tower would do well in KC, just not in the Power and Light District. Where that Copaken Brooks tower was supposed to go Main Street, that is a good location.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Chris Stritzel wrote:

That is the same tower "550' and 50 Floors". I think a large scale tower would do well in KC, just not in the Power and Light District. Where that Copaken Brooks tower was supposed to go Main Street, that is a good location.
On Grand between sprint center and traders. Most prominent location left Downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He maybe talking about the mythical 1034 Main building.

ah hell, it still lives on their site
http://copaken-brooks.com/1034-main-tower
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote:ah hell, it still lives on their site
Last Updated: 05/08/2018
Hmmmmm
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote:He maybe talking about the mythical 1034 Main building.

ah hell, it still lives on their site
Yes I was. Interesting it still is live.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Their mythical 13th and Grand property was just recently "updated" too. Never read into Copaken vapor buildings.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote:

As I understood it, they are 2 separate projects.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

StrangerThings wrote:

As much complaining I see on here about a Cordish wall, I would assume the pushback of making 4 light 35+ would be an epic fail.
35+ floors would be great as long as the building looks completely different. The Monotonous Codish Wall is not because it's Cordish, it's because every building looks about the same. Do each building with completely different looks/external materials. It's as simple as that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Lol - they do it for one reason only. $$$$$$