Six Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Six Light

Post by FangKC »

Ok. That leads me to think that Five Light will go on a site not presently controlled by Cordish, but one that they could gain access.

I can't imagine Cordish would change the name of the Midland Office Building to Five Light.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

horizons82 wrote:5 Light has to go on the block bounded by Wyandotte, 14th & Baltimore. Right?

That location would allow for a continual front to the new capped loop. If you're funding that B.F.D., you want to max out your views of it.
Site is controlled by DST and KCP&L today. Wasn't this mentioned as a potential site for the convention hotel?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DaveKCMO wrote:
horizons82 wrote:5 Light has to go on the block bounded by Wyandotte, 14th & Baltimore. Right?

That location would allow for a continual front to the new capped loop. If you're funding that B.F.D., you want to max out your views of it.
Site is controlled by DST and KCP&L today. Wasn't this mentioned as a potential site for the convention hotel?
I could have swore it was, but it wasn't in contention very long IIRC.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DaveKCMO wrote:

Yup. Via Tony's KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

think it's actually the block south they are discussing.

https://goo.gl/maps/csVLq4Ne7192
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Yup. Via Tony's KC
No that's the block to the north, I'm talking about the block just south. Where there's a midcentury midrise and a small parking garage. Right next to 670.

I'm pretty sure the site I'm metioning was floated after the P&L addition failed. That's what added to part of the surprise when it was announced the hotel was going to the Hereford Assc. site.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Is Tony's kc still a thing, I don't want to visit for sake of my own sanity and his counter.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

horizons82 wrote:Where there's a midcentury midrise and a small parking garage. Right next to 670.
I see. Speaking of that midrise, it could be a cool building to fix up and incorporate into something.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Riverite wrote:Is Tony's kc still a thing, I don't want to visit for sake of my own sanity and his counter.
As far as I'm aware, yes. Strange place.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yeah, that image from TKC is the parcel next to the old P&L building that's been vacant since time immemorial.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DaveKCMO wrote:Yeah, that image from TKC is the parcel next to the old P&L building that's been vacant since time immemorial.
Save our historic surface lots
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:Yeah, that image from TKC is the parcel next to the old P&L building that's been vacant since time immemorial.
Save our historic surface lots
Don't you dare disrespect them. Cheap parking built this city!
Build it (free and plentiful surface parking) and they will come!!!

On a more serious note. When should we see an announcement for this project? How big? What flag? Will 4 light still be another hotel?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

These are exciting times. As always, thank-you for participating in our beloved Rag.

P.S. I believe there is an anonymous account anyone can use. Wink wink wink. Cough. Nudge. Wink
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is there an overhead sky view diagram of all the X Light proposed sites? Many are confused, including me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Cordish isn't telling anyone where they might potentially want to build future buildings until they gain control of the land. It appears one of the proposed buildings has no designated site. If Cordish announces proposed sites without owning them, the price of those sites will go up.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Oh, I thought they were within existing P&L boundaries.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

StrangerThings wrote:If you google earth it, one of the buildings will be above the retail section centered on the large loading dock area that backs up to Jos A Bank, yardhouse etc. with google earth you can see the structural columns already in place.

Next time you’re walking on Main, look tonthe right of the entrance to Jos A Bank and you’ll see a large off color blank section of metal/siding. That will be the main entrance to the building. Behind that wall is several hundred feet of lobby space and pre-dug elevator pits.
I'm always surprised how many people on this board never knew about that site being prepared for H&R Block's second, "Phase II" tower when originally constructed. I'm guessing that H&R Block will be trading air rights for office space in the tower being planned for this site now? That's the only way I see them losing out on the opportunity to develop another namesake tower on the site themselves. Their existing WHQ building was at capacity and they had employees scattered throughout downtown the last time I checked.

Only big question I have left for that site is what the actual footprint entails. Whether the U shape remains throughout the rise of a new structure, or if a full block sized building will be built squarely on top covering the "U", or if we'll only see partial use of the block ..even though it appears that the supports for future vertical construction cover the entire block. This site would make a new closely separated twin tower building, but I have no idea if that's ever been discussed?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If they have partially empty buildings across the metro it would make sense to leave them complete and consolidate in one downtown.

How big of a “tower” can fit in the 6 Light slot?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Early on there was a lot of hope that the tower 2 building would happen pretty quickly. But the economy and H&R Block said we don't need another tower, and it kind of faded from everyone's mind. By the time things ramped back up, the focus was on residential and not office.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Still confused where exactly this proposed hotel would go.