Six Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Six Light

Post by WoodDraw »

From what I can understand, where the old HR Block tower II was meant.

I'm very confused too though. I seem to be the only one in this thread reading it this way.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I was thinking that too. But then someone mentioned the Midland. And at the same time 4 Light’s spot seems to be a great location for a hotel.

Also, could someone draw over the empty HRB 2 slot to show how big a floor plate would be there
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not an engineer, so I have no idea what it was built to support. But you can see support beams all over from satellite. I believe the original design was for it to be shorter and blockier than tower I, but my memory could be wrong.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

that was not the news I was hoping for.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

ldai_phs wrote:that was not the news I was hoping for.
Please don't quote me on this. I'm going off my memory of a proposal from a decade ago.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

And a proposal that seems to have been trashed, no less. Better to wait on stranger things here.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

P.s. strangerthings, any chance you can get us a tour of that unused lobby? I'd love to see that unused place.

Kcrag underground Meetup? :D I bet we could even get everyone to stop complaining about the glass until three light.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've indicated the lobby entrance (which wold be located behind the gray panel shown below) and the elevator bay--with the E. The hotel tower would cover all the red space.

Click here to see the existing support columns on the roof that will support the new tower.

https://tinyurl.com/ycbjr6ft
Last edited by FangKC on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

View of the Six Light building that the proposed hotel would sit atop (13th and Main -- SW corner).

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The gray panel conceals the entrance lobby and elevator bay for the proposed Six Light Tower.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This retail space still remains empty. I'm guessing this space could serve as the entrance and lobby of the hotel/or a hotel lounge space.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would it not be a problem to put a hotel entrance with all its automobile traffic right on the streetcar line? Could the entrance be somehow on Baltimore ?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote:Would it not be a problem to put a hotel entrance with all its automobile traffic right on the streetcar line? Could the entrance be somehow on Baltimore ?
Main entrance should be somewhere else. But there is a need for one on main
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:I've indicated the lobby entrance (which wold be located behind the gray panel shown below) and the elevator bay--with the E. The hotel tower would cover all the red space.

Click here to see the existing support columns on the roof that will support the new tower.

https://tinyurl.com/ycbjr6ft

So exactly the opposite of what I thought. Thank you for clearing it up. How many stories can it support?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I can remember seeing renderings for the second H&R Block tower. It was probably about 12-15 stories tall and blocky. It was odd because it was nothing like first tower.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The lobby will be on Baltimore as well. That is where the parking lot is now, essentially the inside of the horseshoe. The block off entrance would open up to that space. I don't remember if one would be more prominent than the other. Main Street entrance might just be a back entrance to more easily get to the district.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I'll put money on it right now that this building when it comes to fruition, will be either 16 or 26 stories. 17 in the off chance I'm wrong on both.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It has such a larger footprint than the President on the same block what do you think the total guest rooms would number? Would have to stack the meeting rooms and ballrooms above the lobby, below the guest rooms.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote:It has such a larger footprint than the President on the same block what do you think the total guest rooms would number? Would have to stack the meeting rooms and ballrooms above the lobby, below the guest rooms.
If it's a W:300-500. 400 being my exact guess. In the unlikely chance it's a Hyatt: 600+
I personally think that we can support 1-2 more "Big Hotels" 650+ rooms. I still think downtown is underserved and with the new airport, convention hotel, streetcar expansion, highway cap, etc we will be able to attract even more visitors and groups in the coming years. If 6 Light is a W. That does leave 4 Light open for Hyatt and vice versa.

I would hope to see a hotel tower built. It would fill a hole in that section of downtown. Preferably 20+ floors. Using Crown Plaza for reference, I estimate 14-20 floors. They could go with a single 28-34 story tower if they wanted space for a further expansion on the other half of the lot.

There are a ton of options configuration wise. Note basically the entire block can be built upon. So The ballrooms could all be on the same level with meeting rooms above or below that. Meeting space higher up could be a good sell.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

City's agreement with now-Loew's said no incentives for five years for a hotel over three hundred rooms, right? I wonder if that's five years from agreement or opening.

From what I see, 400 rooms would be quite large for a W. Downtown Atlanta - 237 rooms, Dallas Victory - 252, West Hollywood - 297.