Six Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Six Light

Post by DaveKCMO »

City Manager just mentioned that it's being discussed.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Six Light

Post by UrbanKC »

You're kidding? Haha... wow
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Well then lets start constructing 3 and 4 already...
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Did he misspeak and mean to say Five Light? May as well create the Seven Light thread at this rate :D
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

what is the location?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Please, Cordish, work with Copaken Brooks and put one on the block north of the Basketball Experience. Would go a long way toward filling in the ever-more obvious gap between buildings around Main/Grand and the government district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Critical_Mass wrote:Did he misspeak and mean to say Five Light? May as well create the Seven Light thread at this rate :D
no. he deliberately said "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six Light"... twice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTOGA wrote:what is the location?
didn't ask, but there are plenty to choose from! my guess is any of the sites that didn't make the cut for the convention hotel (at least three, right?).
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but there is no way the KC economy can sustain this demand. There is so much supply coming online that the bubble is ripe to explode. Lenders have to, if not already, be getting nervous about this market in general. Especially since the jobs haven't quite followed the residential. I suppose if 5 and 6 light are hotel/office then perhaps but no way it could all be residential unless six light is breaking ground in 20 years.
Last edited by hartliss on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss wrote:I hate to burst everyone's bubble but there is no way the KC economy can sustain this demand. There is so much supply coming online that the bubble is ripe to explode.
the only way to know that for sure is to build it. they'll probably know enough by the time four light is leased. at least they will have a site chosen?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:
hartliss wrote:I hate to burst everyone's bubble but there is no way the KC economy can sustain this demand. There is so much supply coming online that the bubble is ripe to explode.
the only way to know that for sure is to build it. they'll probably know enough by the time four light is leased. at least they will have a site chosen?
Yea but most lenders (especially in KC!) don't operate under the "build it and see" approach.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hartliss wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Yea but most lenders (especially in KC!) don't operate under the "build it and see" approach.
that's not what i'm saying. if demand exists to fill Four Light, then that bodes well for financing Five and Six.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:
hartliss wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
that's not what i'm saying. if demand exists to fill Four Light, then that bodes well for financing Five and Six.
Agree completely. The last time DT had this much discussion around "numerically" named towers only one came to fruition (One KC place). Like most on this forum i would love for this to happen but a lot remains to be seen.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I agree, if there were enough of a demand for five and six light, three's ground level would be getting poured and four's parking lot would be getting prepped as we speak.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:I agree, if there were enough of a demand for five and six light, three's ground level would be getting poured and four's parking lot would be getting prepped as we speak.
They already said three would break ground before two is finished.

You might not be too far off. Depends on all the basics like financing and construction company availability.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The potential of four/five/six lights is great but what downtown needs are other big ticket hirise residential developers that can be pulling off new hirise projects in parallel instead of Cordish squatting on lots in serial mode. There are still hirise office to residential conversions in progress (original P&L, Commerce Bank) so might take a while depending on rate of leases for buildings just now going online.

In the meantime the City/downtown orgs should be pursuing more big ticket national developers and get the word out that there is demand for downtown housing with free streetcar and lower demand for needing dedicated parking spaces.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

One thing of value is Cordish is playing ball with the various urban friendly design aspects. They so far largely don't have blank faces at street level, they're including retail, they have public parking included and so on.

They're also coming with these additional projects after the abatement max was lowered. That's a good sign the lower number isn't hugely impacting.

And most importantly, they're able to fund the projects. It has to be annoying to make all the effort for a new project, make the concessions and a developer can't finance it and the whole thing falls apart. A place that wants to build more and we know can get financing is a huge deal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know that Cordish is a development company. Is there any possibility that they would transition to a construction company as well. Building 6+ high rise buildings over the course of a decade could allow them to save some money by bringing construction in house. They could purchase the tower crain, but equipment and hire workers directly. this would save the overhead of contracting.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

StrangerThings wrote:Why bring in other developers when you've got a good working relationship with Cordish? Not to mention, It would be a slap in the face to essentially seek out other developers when only a few like Cordish were willing to buy in to the original downtown revitalization idea. "Hey Cordish, invest millions with us to help turn around downtown so we can ultimately bring in competition to you guys."
Would think the obvious response would be that the more the merrier. Cordish got their incentives. Which is better for more hirise residential... the rate Cordish is going with 1 building about every 2+ years or having 3-4 developers doing 3-4 hirises total rotating every 2+ years. There are other big ticket developers out there than Cordish with deeper pockets or other financing mechanisms. And downtown has oodles of empty lots. The massive lots around 7th/Baltimore would a good starting place to point outside developers with deep pockets or great financing mechanisms, especially given KC has hit over $2/sqft mark and has a free streetcar that ties downtown together.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yeah, "buy in" is not the term I would use to describe the Cordish position during the original P&L negotiations.