Six Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Six Light

Post by atticus23 »

I hope every Cordish building proposed has the same argument...so riveting. Any way someone can start a “bitching about Cordish aesthetics” thread, so people can blabber on about it and keep the actual threads regarding the development of these buildings just that?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Ftr, I have no problem with one or two light. I think they both look great. My only worries are with what they do moving forward.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

atticus23 wrote:I hope every Cordish building proposed has the same argument...so riveting. Any way someone can start a “bitching about Cordish aesthetics” thread, so people can blabber on about it and keep the actual threads regarding the development of these buildings just that?
TIL discussing the look of buildings isn't part of the development of buildings. My bad.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I mean it is sort of part of the development. I think that the design of the buildings is becoming a mute point as nothing can or will be changed (Until 5 and 6).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

ldai_phs wrote:I mean it is sort of part of the development. I think that the design of the buildings is becoming a mute point as nothing can or will be changed (Until 5 and 6).
Too late for 3 but there is time to encourage mixing up 4-6. If nothing is said, we'll get more copy/paste monotony. If no one cares, we'll get more of the cookie cutter blandness. For those who do care, need to speak up and don't let up. KCMO tax payers can have a voice given Cordish gets city aid.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Are all Light towers going to be designed by the same architect Humpheys & Partners? An easy way to change them up is hire a different architect perhaps? Why not use local firms to design?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There have been several others here who have pointed out mixing things up. The interior is great. The exterior is passable if one or two, but most may not realize it may be up to 6 of rather plain buildings appearing about the same. I'm OK pressing the issue even if a minority at the moment. Others are starting realize it when pointed out. You can count on me and others pressing on it. Is insulting that you are trying to suppress posting about it. If no one says anything, more of the same will certainly end up being the case. And you apparently don't want anyone challenging you/Cordish. It's worth pressing on it for those who care.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

StrangerThings wrote: Are you not understanding you’re in the minority?.... like a very small one. The buildings are overall very popular and have won awards for urban design. You’re constant “copy/paste” and “monotony” bullshit is absolutely insulting to so many people I know who’ve put so much work into these buildings. Take a look around the country, it’s the current style.
I always figure leasing rates tell the real story.

If a building design didn't work people wouldn't move into the building.

Curb appeal is the first thing people look at when choosing a place to live. There's at least one TV show that uses curb appeal as a key part of the story, having a big reveal at the end about how they made the home look so much better. When we sold we put more time and money into the outside of the home than the inside. A new kitchen was unimportant, having a back patio that slopes wasn't a big deal, an ugly downstairs bathroom was fine. But painting the front door a nice color, redoing the landscaping, that was super important.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Like I said, if others don't care then so be it. If others do care then speak up. Nothing wrong with continuing to discuss.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

StrangerThings wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Are all Light towers going to be designed by the same architect Humpheys & Partners? An easy way to change them up is hire a different architect perhaps? Why not use local firms to design?
H&P was used for One Light. Hord, Coplan and Macht for Two Light. Using local firms isn’t out of the question from what I understand. They’ve used several different firms across the country for different projects.
Gotcha. On Wikipedia, they have H&P listed for both One and Two Light.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TIL if you have a minority opinion you should just keep it to yourself....
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ I thought you two were going to have a pool party and makeup.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Jfc ST, calm down. No need for the aggression.

It’s obvious what the solution is. We need to tear down One and Two Light and start from scratch using limestone and sandstone with Art Deco bas reliefs, multi colored windows and then make the towers 50% affordable housing and 50% class A office space with 6 light being a 1500 Room flagship hotel. Alright ST, get on it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:TIL if you have a minority opinion you should just keep it to yourself....
That's not what I'm trying to say at all, but it's 2018 and everyone takes things out of context.

The glass and drastically changing the exteriors has been discussed and discussed. My bad for trying to actually respond, unlike any other developers on any other topic on this forum.

You're constantly being a dick on here anyway, so I see why you got to get another jab in. Wouldn't be a discussion without your condescending ass!
Wow okay....Ive been one of the biggest cordish supporters on this site over the years and posted maybe one thing about the glass....so this seems a bit misguided....but carry on.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ I thought you two were going to have a pool party and makeup.
I was ready to crush a beer with ST and talk dev stuff ....but I'll probably not do that given that post.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCP and ST need to just hug it out...A RAG party at ST's new place in Two Light!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Having someone working at a big developer post publicly about any unfinished project is super rare. There's no Copaken Brooks person posting here.

The detail is always appreciated
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Gotcha...calling someone a dick and a condescending ass goes beyond being sassy in my book but everybody posting methods are different....

Apology accepted and no worries...always glad to have you and everybody posting on her with different opinions and backgrounds!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

StrangerThings wrote:We can't have a beer though, once I'm not anonymous, I can no longer comment.
That’s cute. You think you’re still anonymous! It’s ok, we’ll let you believe that even though we can see you hacking away on buttons behind the curtain. False anonymity allows us to suppress our brains ability to suppress honest communication that is entertaining and, sometimes, valuable.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:KCP and ST need to just hug it out...A RAG party at ST's new place in Two Light!
Do we really not have one generous bar owner on this board who can tap a keg and yell, “Beer’s on the house!” ?