P&L District 10 years later

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: P&L District 10 years later

Post by shaffe »

Should be great for some more World Cup crowd watching shots this summer!

Oh wait... :(
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Is the cowboy/cowgirl signage getting removed? ;-)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good news on the screen. Much needed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This popped up on in the Buffalo, NY news. I hadn't seen it before so I thought it belonged here. I am absolutely amazed by how much bigger 1,2, and 3 Light have turned out vs. original plans.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cordish and KC Public Schools recently announced a 5 year partnership.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tion.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I see Bar Louie is closing. Not that anyone will miss it (I barely notice its existence when I'm in the area) but it's interesting to note that whoever replaces it, will be the third attempt at that location since the inception of the district. You'd think that would be a fairly viable location - very close to the Sprint Center to pick up event customers. Will this be the first P&L locale to reach 3 tenants?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm I see Bar Louie is closing. Not that anyone will miss it (I barely notice its existence when I'm in the area) but it's interesting to note that whoever replaces it, will be the third attempt at that location since the inception of the district. You'd think that would be a fairly viable location - very close to the Sprint Center to pick up event customers. Will this be the first P&L locale to reach 3 tenants?
Bar Louie as a chain suffered from poor management. The one in Zona Rosa was pretty well run but ones in other cities that I have visited were not. From what I have heard, the P&L location was one of the many poorly run ones. I don't think that this failure is because the location isn't viable.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't know anything about Bar Louie, but the one right next to Capital One Arena will also close and that arena is used literally every single night, sometimes twice a day. (they will do basketball and hockey on the same day.)

Chinatown has a shit ton of competition, but Bar Louie had one of the best spots you can have. Sounds like Bar Louie is the failure not the P&L district. Something better will go there.

Sprint Center needs a pro tenant though. Every time I'm in KC, the P&L district is dead for days at a time. They must just do gangbusters when they are busy because I honestly don't see how most of those places stay open with such long stretches of very little traffic.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm I don't know anything about Bar Louie, but the one right next to Capital One Arena will also close and that arena is used literally every single night, sometimes twice a day. (they will do basketball and hockey on the same day.)

Chinatown has a shit ton of competition, but Bar Louie had one of the best spots you can have. Sounds like Bar Louie is the failure not the P&L district. Something better will go there.

Sprint Center needs a pro tenant though. Every time I'm in KC, the P&L district is dead for days at a time. They must just do gangbusters when they are busy because I honestly don't see how most of those places stay open with such long stretches of very little traffic.
It’s consistent and fairly busy on a regular basis most of the year. Obviously January and February are the worst but looks can be deceiving. With limited staff, the restaurants do fine on slow weekdays as well. Nightclubs pull off solid weekends even during the bad months.

I see people roll in at 10pm on a Monday and appear to be disappointed that it’s slow but there’s not much action monday-Wednesday after 10pm unless there’s an event.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The Bar Louie in P&L was very poorly managed. It was never staffed properly, just poorly run. I work downtown and would go there for lunch at times, especially when convetion business was in town and other places were swamped. That place was large enough to not wait, but just about every time I went in there was no one to wait on us. Plus people would come in and end up leaving. Just poorly operated. I hope something replaces it, it's in a good location for sure
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The street appeal of that building was a major fail. Bristol and BRGR both feel more inviting because you can see in and there is some outdoor presence. It felt dark and closed down whenever you walk by.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:22 am
GRID wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm I don't know anything about Bar Louie, but the one right next to Capital One Arena will also close and that arena is used literally every single night, sometimes twice a day. (they will do basketball and hockey on the same day.)

It’s consistent and fairly busy on a regular basis most of the year. Obviously January and February are the worst but looks can be deceiving. With limited staff, the restaurants do fine on slow weekdays as well. Nightclubs pull off solid weekends even during the bad months.

I see people roll in at 10pm on a Monday and appear to be disappointed that it’s slow but there’s not much action monday-Wednesday after 10pm unless there’s an event.
That's good to hear. I kind of figured they had to be busy during lunch etc or they wouldn't be able to stay open. I guess the Live Block is so large that if you are there during any time other than fri/sat nights, it's feels very empty. We have gone into restaurants and they have typically been empty. But we are never there during convention, events or even weekday lunch hour. Like I said. If the one in DC can't it, the it probably the brand/management, not the locations.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

GRID wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm
I just don't know what evidence there is to support this. It would be cool, but not sure why it's a "need". A permanent pro tenant adds about 40-50 events to the calendar - but we lose the ability to schedule half the weekends during the season. So, maybe there's a net gain of about 20 events - all of which are filling weeknights over a 4-5 month season. Just not sure it would make much of a difference. Despite how much I'd love an NBA team.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Would a team that might only fill half the seats regularly (depends on winning) justify giving up concert nights where all the seats are filled?

Concerts tend to draw people from the greater region who drive in and spend the night in hotels. Would weeknight basketball games fill those rooms, or only draw in local people who go directly home after the game?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

People always say that, but I have never bought into it and have always though it was just an excuse.

Looking at concert arenas KC was the 41st busiest in the world and 18th busiest in the nation in 2018 with 437k attendance. That’s pretty good. You can’t really complain much about the concert load Sprint Center gets.

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/12/ ... es_702.pdf

It does not seem to matter much if an arena has pro teams or not. You have some arenas without pro teams that don’t do well and arenas with teams that draw very well. I think KC is a pretty good concert market, so even with a pro team taking up dates, I don’t see KC drawing less than 200k, more likely 300k even with a pro team.

But the average attendance for an NHL/NBA team is around 750k, putting KC on the low end would be 600k.

A pro team alone would considerably outdraw concerts, but concerts wouldn’t go away. KC would likely keep most, if not all concerts. But even if concerts were cut in half, the net gain of people visiting downtown would be around a half million additional visitors to downtown and this is being conservative. But more than likely the increase would be closer to ¾ million.

There are other reasons to not bring a pro team to KC. Saturated pro sports market (which I don’t think would be the case for a winter pro sport), or the revenue the arena itself would bring it because a pro team would take most of the revenue. However this thought that Downtown is better off with only concerts is just some urban myth that has stuck in KC people’s heads for some reason.

Also, A pro team would keep a consistent flow of sports fans going downtown where they would get used to where to park, where to eat etc. compared to concert fans that will tend to be a different crowd for each concert with limited exposure to downtown, so a team would probably have more impact on downtown restaurants etc.

That’s my opinion anyway.