New video displays

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

New video displays

Post by KCRoyal »

Was at the Sprint Center tonight and noticed the new video display on the elevator tower next to the No Other Pub entrance. They were mostly displaying ads for P&L and KC attractions. Noticed another set of screens on the SW end of KC Live. Pretty neat.

Would be awesome if they closed off Grand to expand a viewing party for Big 12 Tourney time or hopefully future Royals/Chiefs playoff games...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New video displays

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think they will always just be ads. Much like the billboard on the south end of sprint center.

They are good looking displays.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Now, if Cordish could just replace some bulbs in the Mainstreet sign.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:Now, if Cordish could just replace some bulbs in the Mainstreet sign.
And remove the freaking cowgirl/cowboy billboard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hate for something to happen to them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:The idea has been discussed and is being worked on.
Interesting....thought they only reason they got to erect those signs was they were "billboards" to advertise their own businesses
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Hate for something to happen to them.
They are one of the first things every tourist snap a photo of when the walk into the plaza area. Every PBR around the country has that sign in some capacity installed.
No they are not. I've not seen one person take/post a picture of those idiotic things that weren't making fun of them...also the PBR in Vegas has nothing like that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:The idea has been discussed and is being worked on.
Interesting....thought they only reason they got to erect those signs was they were "billboards" to advertise their own businesses
They are billboards, but having the option to display some form of live content, say during a world series parade or special occasion is being worked out. Not that it will ever be used.
Yeah I get how video boards work, talking more the city ordinances behind them being erected/used.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
They are one of the first things every tourist snap a photo of when the walk into the plaza area. Every PBR around the country has that sign in some capacity installed.
No they are not. I've not seen one person take/post a picture of those idiotic things that weren't making fun of them...also the PBR in Vegas has nothing like that.

Well, I can guarantee I see more tourists reactions when they walk into the plaza area than just about anyone. The PBR in vegas is the only PBR in the country not owned/operated by Cordish.
me dumb but what does the acronym PBR stand for?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

JBmidtown wrote:me dumb but what does the acronym PBR stand for?
Professional Bull Riders
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:

Well, I can guarantee I see more tourists reactions when they walk into the plaza area than just about anyone. The PBR in vegas is the only PBR in the country not owned/operated by Cordish.
Take a poll of them then and see what the public thinks....I guess I get it if that's PBR's "thing" but what annoys me is the way it's setup in KC (vs. st. Louis which I just googled to find where another PBR bar was) it makes it into the "image" of the entire block.

Side note, maybe Cordish would be more well accepted in communities if they didn't simply drop the same bars and bar mall into everything they did?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

OK, age showing. PBR in those old days was Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Believe me, I'm way bigger of a defender/supporter of P&L and Cordish than a hater, so you trying to talk down to me is misplaced. Also not a good look as someone that is representing themselves as a Cordish employee/official.

If you think the KC community as a whole has been "proud" of P&L you are either brand new to KC or don't listen to many comments.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

okay...I haven't once said anything towards you at all so not sure what you are reading where you think I was talking to you in a disparaging way...I spoke of Cordish and the development...I didn't say

"people don't know what they're talking about, but speak as if they do. "

"majority of people are smart enough"

in quoting my post, so I an safely assume you were speaking to me....anyways, to the points in your last post:
The majority of Kansas City is proud of what downtown has become.
I agree with this. P&L isn't the totality of downtown....it is a great piece which I speak of highly on a daily basis. As a resident downtown, I appreciate what P&L/cordish gave me as far as amenities and what it's done to draw people downtown....but it's only one piece of what we've done to turn around this neighborhood.
All the complaints have ever been about are the TIF's and the deal the city made with Cordish.
True...also lot of critical comments about the "bar mall" and how the bars suck, etc....which I don't agree with but those comments are definitely throughout the community.
city starts seeing huge profits from the district, it's still worth it considering what was once KC's downtown.
the city will likely never see a direct "profit" but that's not relevant given what the city got from it's investment. Having lived downtown before P&L/sprint, I appreciate the positive change we've made
If you're going to make generalized assumptions/criticisms, do so in a polite and constructive way.
point me to where I wasn't polite and constructive? I'd be more than happy to get into very specific criticisms of Cordish/P&L but they have been debated here before for years...and given you since you say you aren't an influencer at Cordish, I don't see the need to rehash them again....in a video billboard thread.

Cheers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No worries...glad to have you on board and participating. Cordish has definitely learned from it's mistakes here and have done a lot better here in KC....like adding C&C and No Other Pub.

Now tell them to close off the Main street entrance to the Cosentino's parking garage :)
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

KCPowercat wrote: Now tell them to close off the Main street entrance to the Cosentino's parking garage :)
seconded
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

That entrance is closed most of the time, isn't it? Most days when I'm driving by after work they have a sign blocking the entrance.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hgascoigne wrote:That entrance is closed most of the time, isn't it? Most days when I'm driving by after work they have a sign blocking the entrance.
yes.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hgascoigne wrote:That entrance is closed most of the time, isn't it? Most days when I'm driving by after work they have a sign blocking the entrance.
Right. Close it and put retail in that space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Right. Close it and put retail in that space.
What about Amazon lockers? There's plenty of space for dozens in different sizes. Can put access on two sides and Amazon can send a van for deliveries or a large truck can park in the middle lane of Main. It's at a great access location for people to ride transit, drive or bike.

That space doesn't have the alley for deliveries the other spaces have, which will make it hard to fill.