Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Three Light

Postby kcjak » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Is this the new rendering of Three Light in the Cityscene article? https://cityscenekc.com/signs-point-to-softening-downtown-apartment-market/

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Its a couple years old

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby NorthOak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

I was excited to think that 3 Light would begin construction as soon as 2 Light was completed (as when first announced).
I should have known that would be too ambitious for KC :roll:

As it all depends on how fast 2 fills up, now I think it could be up to a year or more before they break ground.
I understand these are high profile lots on the streetcar, but I wish they would scrap 3 and 4's design ideas and go shorter.
7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby horizons82 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm

NorthOak wrote:7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)

What do you mean by "keep the skyline density intact"?

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

horizons82 wrote:
NorthOak wrote:7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)

The idea is to put less money into more blocks and rather than build onelarge towers, to have 4 blocks filled with shorter ones

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCLover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm

horizons82 wrote:

More like keep the skyline view from Liberty Memorial intact. Pretty sure that's what NorthOak really means.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life

Postby StrangerThings » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Developers and customers alike aren't interested in shorter residential buildings on highly valuable downtown property. At least not in prime real-estate like the 3 and 4 light lots. Imagine how dumb it would look once they cap the loop with a few 8 story residential buildings right there.

I personally think the skyline looks great and will look perfect once all the new towers are up. Especially from the liberty memorial and union station perspective. I feel the cordish towers are perfectly positioned and it's great how the skyline gets wider and taller from that southern perspective.

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Postby cityscape » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm

I agree. The Skyline looks great and will only look better with the addition of the Light buildings and Convention Hotel. My biggest beef with the Light buildings is the name/signage they use (Just seems like not much thought was put into the naming). I know the names were likely part of the branding but why not use unique names for each building that helps branding (like "The District", "P&L Block", etc....) The buildings, themselves, are good additions. As Stranger Things commented, once the loop is capped having highrises there will make more sense.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life

Postby StrangerThings » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Many people don't like the naming of "blank" Light, but I can assure you an over abundance of thought went into that. A tie into the Power and Light name was crucial and trust me, out of all the choices this was a good one! I am jealous of the tower going up in STL, "One Cardinal Way" is a very cool building name, especially compared to One Light.

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!

JBmidtown
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby JBmidtown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!

Jfc

KC_JAYHAWK
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KC_JAYHAWK » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

StrangerThings wrote:Many people don't like the naming of "blank" Light, but I can assure you an over abundance of thought went into that. A tie into the Power and Light name was crucial and trust me, out of all the choices this was a good one! I am jealous of the tower going up in STL, "One Cardinal Way" is a very cool building name, especially compared to One Light.

Really, it's called "One Cardinal Way"? :lol: That city is so ass backwards, everything is about their stupid Cardinals. Never been in a city so obsessed with their identity and baseball team.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!

If only that was what is happening. To me it would have made more sense to build 4 Light first due to it being a large hotel. That way there would have been less of a need for waiting on 2 Light to lease out.

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life

Postby StrangerThings » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 pm

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:Many people don't like the naming of "blank" Light, but I can assure you an over abundance of thought went into that. A tie into the Power and Light name was crucial and trust me, out of all the choices this was a good one! I am jealous of the tower going up in STL, "One Cardinal Way" is a very cool building name, especially compared to One Light.

Really, it's called "One Cardinal Way"? :lol: That city is so ass backwards, everything is about their stupid Cardinals. Never been in a city so obsessed with their identity and baseball team.

What else does STL have going for it besides one of the best MLB franchises in the league? Considering you can see into the stadium from your living room in some units and the cardinals have a ownership stake, I'd say it's fitting!

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 am

We have plenty of places to put shorter buildings in KC. In a luxury downtown high-rise, the selling point is the view. People want high floor apartments with views. Otherwise, what is the point of paying a premium for a downtown apartment? It's really stupid to invest millions in P&L, and not put up high-rises and create as much residential density as possible near a retail and entertainment district. We have time to wait for buildings to fill up, before starting new ones. The world will not end if a lot sits vacant for two more years instead of one.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 pm

ldai_phs wrote:If only that was what is happening. To me it would have made more sense to build 4 Light first due to it being a large hotel. That way there would have been less of a need for waiting on 2 Light to lease out.

Has there been any confirmation it's a hotel?

StrangerThings
New York Life
New York Life

Postby StrangerThings » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm

flyingember wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:If only that was what is happening. To me it would have made more sense to build 4 Light first due to it being a large hotel. That way there would have been less of a need for waiting on 2 Light to lease out.

Has there been any confirmation it's a hotel?

It's been the plan all along, hasn't changed at this time. Will be part residential part hotel.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Postby WoodDraw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

NorthOak wrote:I was excited to think that 3 Light would begin construction as soon as 2 Light was completed (as when first announced).
I should have known that would be too ambitious for KC :roll:

As it all depends on how fast 2 fills up, now I think it could be up to a year or more before they break ground.
I understand these are high profile lots on the streetcar, but I wish they would scrap 3 and 4's design ideas and go shorter.
7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)

This all sounds wrong to me, especially building 3 light before 2 light gets to what they're comfortable with. They're a fucking business.

I'm all for giving shit to cordish for some of their decisions and cost cuttings, but wtf? We can't just overbuild KC and pretend it's going to fill in around it. I know I have a one year freeze on my apartment's rent and others are offering incentives to move it.

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby NorthOak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am

WoodDraw wrote:I'm all for giving shit to cordish for some of their decisions and cost cuttings, but wtf? We can't just overbuild KC and pretend it's going to fill in around it. I know I have a one year freeze on my apartment's rent and others are offering incentives to move it.

No body is giving Cordish sh** or anything else. I'm stating a personal desire and opinion.
Next time I'll draw a little wishing well next to my comment so your head doesn't explode.

WoodDraw wrote:They're a fucking business.

See, this profound information is why I come to this forum, so much you can learn here.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Postby WoodDraw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:40 am

:rolling eyes emoji:

Return to “Power & Light District”