Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1146
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby WoodDraw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm

im2kull wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Wait, why is H&R even involved? Did they have another option on this? Surely they don't need more room? What an I missing?


This is the location of what was originally considered H&R Block Phase II..correct? H&R intended to build another high rise for their own use in this spot, which still seems to be ..at least somewhat.. the case.


Yeah, I thought they backed out and said they didn't need the space.

Chris Stritzel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Three Light

Postby Chris Stritzel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 pm

I hope to hear something on Three Light this week and the, I'll call it "rumored" H&R Tower.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16164
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Three Light

Postby DaveKCMO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

StrangerThings wrote:Personally, I'm excited about how things are going and am really looking forward to a new office tower and the capping of I-670. I hope I'm still downtown to see all that come together.


walnut will not be vacated. period. thanks!

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12565
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Three Light

Postby FangKC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am

StrangerThings wrote:I'm not sure when the rights got extended, they snuck that in. I don't think H&R needs much space and I'm not apart of the negations happening.


I assume H&R Block sought those development rights for the second tower back when they were expanding into banking, investments, and financial services--expecting that part of their business to fuel their need for additional space in the future. That expansion into non-tax-related business didn't work out so well for them. However, when they were being approached about moving downtown, they probably wanted to negotiate the best situation for their company--and have some flexibility.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28264
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Three Light

Postby KCPowercat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 am

P&l busy choke points like Midland and 14th Street valet constantly interrupt the streetcar

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am

3 Light may include condos and the project is valued at $300 million. Seems like a very high number unless there is something I'm missing.


The article is locked but if you press "reader view" on Safari fast enough you can view it. That trick works on basically every locked article from every website.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/01/17/cordish-three-light-condos-for-sale.html

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2803
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Three Light

Postby smh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

StrangerThings wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:Personally, I'm excited about how things are going and am really looking forward to a new office tower and the capping of I-670. I hope I'm still downtown to see all that come together.


walnut will not be vacated. period. thanks!


The streetcar will create some interesting challenges if they decide to go ahead with the second office tower. I think everyone knows that interrupting the streetcar line is not an option!


Stage trucks on Baltimore.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Three Light

Postby kboish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 am

The most interesting quote from the article is non-three light related.

Matt Zammar of Re/MAX Legacy, one of the area's leading condo agents, recently advised Winters that a developer plans at least one new condo tower in the Crown Center area.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am

kboish wrote:The most interesting quote from the article is non-three light related.

Matt Zammar of Re/MAX Legacy, one of the area's leading condo agents, recently advised Winters that a developer plans at least one new condo tower in the Crown Center area.

The Crown Center expansion plans I found must be accurate then!

User avatar
KCDowntown
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 807
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:17 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby KCDowntown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 am

The $300 million price tag on this development is what I found most interesting. For comparison, One Light supposedly cost 79 million and Two Light was initially priced at 105 million.

KCDowntown

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am

KCDowntown wrote:The $300 million price tag on this development is what I found most interesting. For comparison, One Light supposedly cost 79 million and Two Light was initially priced at 105 million.

KCDowntown

Did it suddenly add a hotel or office component? If 2 light was 24 stories, Id expect $300M to be at least 35 stories for this site?
Last edited by ldai_phs on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Three Light

Postby kboish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am

ldai_phs wrote:
KCDowntown wrote:The $300 million price tag on this development is what I found most interesting. For comparison, One Light supposedly cost 79 million and Two Light was initially priced at 105 million.

KCDowntown

Did it suddenly add a hotel or office component?


Yeah, that is a head scratcher. Maybe the Target hype is real?

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

My expectations for any project around $300 million are based on the Aqua Tower in Chicago.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Three Light

Postby Critical_Mass » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am

ldai_phs wrote:
kboish wrote:The most interesting quote from the article is non-three light related.

Matt Zammar of Re/MAX Legacy, one of the area's leading condo agents, recently advised Winters that a developer plans at least one new condo tower in the Crown Center area.

The Crown Center expansion plans I found must be accurate then!


We know about the 4-story 63-unit condo building which is part of the Milhaus/UC+B Gallerie development. They may have mis-spoke and were referring to that.

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby KCtoBrooklyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am

The article still says 300 units for Three Light, which is basically the same as Two Light. The footprint looks about the same, so unless these units are significantly larger, or there is another mixed-use component, I wouldn't expect anything drastically larger.

If they are planning on going condo, they might be looking at higher end finishes and amenities, which could add a bit to the price. A Target could add to the price, but I still don't see how it could total $300M. Maybe the price of the office building (H&R Block II) got added in?

For comparison to another Cordish project, all of Ballpark Village Phase 2 in St. Louis is listed at $260M. It includes a 29 story apartment tower, an office building (don't know if there is anything official, but renderings look like a 9 story building with ground floor retail), an 8 story 216-room hotel, plus another 2 story retail/entertainment building.

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby KCtoBrooklyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Critical_Mass wrote:We know about the 4-story 63-unit condo building which is part of the Milhaus/UC+B Gallerie development. They may have mis-spoke and were referring to that.


IIRC, the condo aspect of that project was scrapped and they will all be rentals.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Three Light

Postby Critical_Mass » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:We know about the 4-story 63-unit condo building which is part of the Milhaus/UC+B Gallerie development. They may have mis-spoke and were referring to that.


IIRC, the condo aspect of that project was scrapped and they will all be rentals.


I do know for a fact that the for-sale townhomes are still part of the project (aiming for a spring start-date)
Not sure about the condo building.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14208
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Three Light

Postby GRID » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I don't see 300 million mentioned in the article. Where are you guys getting that from? If Three Light is a 300 million dollar project on that site then it would have to be a 35 story plus mixed used tower and probably have some retail too. Nothing else makes sense. That would be amazing if a 300 million dollar project went up there. That would be a skyline/downtown changing project like the proposed NuCLEus project in Cleveland.

Also as far as a new "tower" in Crown Center. It seems like everything over 4 stories is called a "tower" in the KC press. It's actually very annoying to me. A new 4 story block long office building going up in Lenexa is called a Tower in the BJ articles. lol.

Can't wait to see the 3-light renderings. If it's a true 300 million project, it will deviate away from the possible "Cordish wall" that I think could look terrible from the south if not addressed.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

GRID wrote:I don't see 300 million mentioned in the article. Where are you guys getting that from? If Three Light is a 300 million dollar project on that site then it would have to be a 35 story plus mixed used tower and probably have some retail too. Nothing else makes sense. That would be amazing if a 300 million dollar project went up there. That would be a skyline/downtown changing project like the proposed NuCLEus project in Cleveland.

Also as far as a new "tower" in Crown Center. It seems like everything over 4 stories is called a "tower" in the KC press. It's actually very annoying to me. A new 4 story block long office building going up in Lenexa is called a Tower in the BJ articles. lol.

Can't wait to see the 3-light renderings. If it's a true 300 million project, it will deviate away from the possible "Cordish wall" that I think could look terrible from the south if not addressed.

Its like the title. Update. The title was changed to $130 million. :/

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Overland Park

Re: Three Light

Postby cityscape » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Business Journal just corrected the price to $130 million for 3 light


Return to “Power & Light District”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests