Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Three Light

Postby NorthOak » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 pm

The more I look at Two Light the uglier it becomes.
From a distance it just doesn't fit in the skyline.
The white lines separating the floors are as ugly as anything I've ever seen on a tall building.

If only it was twice as tall and less "blocky."
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.

horizons82
Pad site
Pad site

Postby horizons82 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm

NorthOak wrote:The more I look at Two Light the uglier it becomes.
The white lines separating the floors are as ugly as anything I've ever seen on a tall building.

What would you have done instead? The rent on this thing is already high enough, can't imagine raising it higher to pay for a more elaborate facade.

NorthOak wrote:If only it was twice as tall and less "blocky."

If only this was Chicago...if only.

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby NorthOak » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

horizons82 wrote:

That's a silly exaggeration.
A city doesn't have to be "Chicago" size, stature or economy to build a 30-40 floor apartment building.

The "blockyness" and color of Two Light from the distant south makes the building look very bland and featureless.
It does look much better up close at street level.
I'm hoping Three Light uses a mix of exteriors, maybe something like this.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

^Bingo. Hoping Three Light will look nothing like Two Light, but most don't seem to care so a wall of Two Light is what we'll likely get. And if no one cares, the bland wall of monotony is what we deserve. At some point we need to start expecting developers to raise the bar and stop accepting utilitarian looking buildings just because they add more residents. There's just enough momentum now to start expecting better, demanding better - or at least completely different in this case. A completely different bland building is better than 2 nearly the same next to each other. Apologies for the broken record (skipping CD? rebuffering stream?) but I'll continue to bring this up once in a while.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 am

That example image is the materials two light is made from. It already has a stone veneer on a large portion of it.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:47 am

Yet looks so much better with the dark trim around windows and more texture. Subjective but it's a far better looking building. Ideally Three Light doesn't even use same materials. But if it does, the above is something to shoot for.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Window prices though

horizons82
Pad site
Pad site

Postby horizons82 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

NorthOak wrote:
horizons82 wrote:

A city doesn't have to be "Chicago" size, stature or economy to build a 30-40 floor apartment building.

The "blockyness" and color of Two Light from the distant south makes the building look very bland and featureless.

Until KC has a far more robust metro-wide transit system, most developers are going to need to provide structured parking for hi-rise, otherwise they're not getting their financing. Again, at roughly $17,000 a space you're looking at an even higher-price point, when this thing is already one of the priciest in the metro. Nevermind asking for more city subsidy, that'd go over well.

I'm all for dozens of 40+ story buildings with exciting facades, but I feel like this board gets greedy with short term turnaround. Focus it out, support a bistate transit plan & exterior material requirements. Have city hall create a road map for city design; at set city density points (35k residents, etc) new reg's are implemented. That way the city architecture is ensured to get better over time, without scaring away developers and their lenders.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm

horizons82 wrote:
NorthOak wrote:
horizons82 wrote:

Until KC has a far more robust metro-wide transit system, most developers are going to need to provide structured parking for hi-rise, otherwise they're not getting their financing. Again, at roughly $17,000 a space you're looking at an even higher-price point, when this thing is already one of the priciest in the metro. Nevermind asking for more city subsidy, that'd go over well.

I'm all for dozens of 40+ story buildings with exciting facades, but I feel like this board gets greedy with short term turnaround. Focus it out, support a bistate transit plan & exterior material requirements. Have city hall create a road map for city design; at set city density points (35k residents, etc) new reg's are implemented. That way the city architecture is ensured to get better over time, without scaring away developers and their lenders.

Or large city provided shared use garages. *shudder*

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Update on Three Light...
https://cityscenekc.com/three-light-con ... y-manager/

Nick Benjamin, executive director for the Cordish-owned Power & Light District, said if the City Council approves, construction is expected to begin on the $130 million project late this year with completion anticipated in early 2021.

Results of council meeting today?
Last edited by earthling on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Meetings all cancelled today due to weather

horizons82
Pad site
Pad site

Postby horizons82 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 pm

ldai_phs wrote:Or large city provided shared use garages. *shudder*

Get out of here with that heresy. :lol:

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm

So you're saying you're not a fan! :D

I think everyone, including Cordish would love to have innovative and unique designs but there's this pesky thing called budgets and profit that tend to get in the way of ones dreams and wishes. I'm not sure what all you can do when you're trying to get 300 units in a building on a small and rectangular build site. It's very interesting being in meetings during the initial design phase and watching the design change as budgets are brought back down to reality. There's a certain tipping point obviously in what you can spend, charge for rent and operate a successful/profitable residential tower.

I can understand everyones critique of the designs even though hardly any of us will ever utilize the buildings, we all do have to live with them as part of the skyline. The one argument that a few people beat to death is how they hope the buildings don't all look the same, the poorly named, "Cordish Glass Wall". Besides the fact they want people to be able to look at all the buildings and know they're all part of the same family, the cost savings in using similar material is in the millions. Each design will be slightly different while maintaining the same core design feature set. Granted this forum is made up of a very unique group of people, but the majority of the people out there love the design of the buildings. Most importantly, people want to live in them.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm

To touch on the subject of the garages. It's interesting to see the city manager mention the fact that Cordish has taken over management and responsibility of certain garages. Yes, it saves the city money but they were also doing a terrible job. Since taking over the garages, not only have they undergone some major infastructure upgrades but they've become a source of excellent revenue.

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby NorthOak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 pm

StrangerThings wrote:

So you're saying you're not a fan! :D

Up close (street-level) the building is nice and a great addition.
The building has a better design and pretty face on it's south side.
My disdain is the southern view - It's the blank blue/white line southern face that distracts from the skyline money shot.
That's all I'm saying.

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Trying to explain profits and costs while then mentioning getting extra revenue from the garages. How about reinvesting some of that extra funds into a few design changes on 3? Believe me, I understand business, but I think putting out multiple products that are fairly blah will hurt your brand in the long term. None of the towers would make it through a development approval committee in a major city. If it’s just a matter of building out Four Light and moving on in the next five years, then I get it. I just wouldnt be surprised to see at least one of the towers being totally reworked in the next 20 years. I just think the KC clientele will get more demanding of appealing design with top notch finishes. We will move past the cheap loft, concrete floors, exposed ductwork, ‘it’s artistic’, design viewpoint very quickly.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

cordish doesn't own the garages, so it would not be a good idea to invest garage revenue into their apartment building (unless it was to fund a public parking structure that's part of three light).

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:Trying to explain profits and costs while then mentioning getting extra revenue from the garages. How about reinvesting some of that extra funds into a few design changes on 3? Believe me, I understand business, but I think putting out multiple products that are fairly blah will hurt your brand in the long term. None of the towers would make it through a development approval committee in a major city. If it’s just a matter of building out Four Light and moving on in the next five years, then I get it. I just wouldnt be surprised to see at least one of the towers being totally reworked in the next 20 years. I just think the KC clientele will get more demanding of appealing design with top notch finishes. We will move past the cheap loft, concrete floors, exposed ductwork, ‘it’s artistic’, design viewpoint very quickly.

The way I've been told, all parking revenue goes back into the districts operating and events budget. More revenue from parking, bigger musical acts.

Like I said, most people don't think the design is "blah". Most people aren't getting online and talking about development or scoping out new residential towers in other cities.

It's funny you say these designs wouldn't be approved in other major cities.

Look familiar?

These designs are on par with other towers in large cities, however this is a small/mid size market and the appropriate corresponding budgets to work with.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm not sure which Cordish property you're referencing with the "cheap loft, concrete floors, exposed duct work" line either????

JBmidtown
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby JBmidtown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Hey ST when are we going to see some updated 3 Light renderings?

Return to “Power & Light District”