Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Re: Three Light

Post by hgascoigne »

grecobs wrote:I'd have to assume that occupancy rates from 1/2 light will come into play here.

Does anyone know that One Light's occupancy rate?
Based on the number of cars I see in the garage, it feels pretty well leased up.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

StrangerThings wrote: "Hastily conceived"? I first saw drawings of what would become One Light 8 years ago.
Exactly my point. The fact that you first saw these exact same towers in an overnight presser that was whipped up in ten minutes almost a decade ago, and the fact that the designs haven't changed one iota from that initial, hastily conceived rendering... tells you everything you need to know about why this project is a horrible design.

A caveman could draw a glass block pictograph in a cave and present it as "One Light" tower, "Two Light" tower, and so forth. One Light is fine in and of itself, but two is grossly unimaginative and shitty architecture at best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The original design even has less floors than the final product. That alone tells us that the design changed from start to finish.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They should have stuck with that design.

Claiming it's full doesn't mean squat about residents liking the exterior design. They like the location and the amenities.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Cordish needs to fix the grass park space above the garage before another dog leaps to it's death....
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

StrangerThings wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Cordish needs to fix the grass park space above the garage before another dog leaps to it's death....
You should talk to the city. That's their roof top park. Cordish maintaines the landscaping.
Gotcha, didn't know who owned the garage or park. I just assumed it was Cordish.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:They should have stuck with that design.

Claiming it's full doesn't mean squat about residents liking the exterior design. They like the location and the amenities.

Do you live here and talk to fellow residents like I do? Because I've never encountered a resident who didn't like the exterior of the building.
Yeah, KCP, do you live here and talk to fellow residents???

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen on this board. (And I've seen a lot!) Kid, can you have your mommy or daddy come to the door?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:They should have stuck with that design.

Do you live here and talk to fellow residents like I do? Because I've never encountered a resident who didn't like the exterior of the building.
Yeah, KCP, do you live here and talk to fellow residents???

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen on this board. (And I've seen a lot!) Kid, can you have your mommy or daddy come to the door?
Devin always said he was going to go into the architecture field.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Just funny cause you don't know who you're talking to, like the founder of this board and professional advocate of downtown is an empty nester who moved in last year. I welcome the comedy and your posts. The board has been quiet for the last year or so. So, I appreciate the discussion on a very important topic. I imagine the other board originals are probably too busy designing new towers, or meeting with the city or leading neighborhood organizations to comment as often. Shame, because I learned so much from some of those early discussions and likely wouldn't be a downtown resident without this board.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody hates one light design that I've read....but don't tell us that the exterior of 1 through 4 light can be the exact same because one light is full of residents.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote:Just funny cause you don't know who you're talking to, like the founder of this board and professional advocate of downtown is an empty nester who moved in last year. I welcome the comedy and your posts. The board has been quiet for the last year or so. So, I appreciate the discussion on a very important topic. I imagine the other board originals are probably too busy designing new towers, or meeting with the city or leading neighborhood organizations to comment as often. Shame, because I learned so much from some of those early discussions and likely wouldn't be a downtown resident without this board.
Looking at the "joined" dates sometimes freaks me out. Those years were actually lot's of fun.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote:Nobody hates one light design that I've read....but don't tell us that the exterior of 1 through 4 light can be the exact same because one light is full of residents.
Two light seems to have a more bluish glass tone to it than One Light, at least to me. But I wouldn't be surprised if Two and Three look pretty much identical, even the glass. I think Three is supposed to be taller. If the park is built over 670, I can live with Two and Three looking pretty much the same.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

StrangerThings wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:Just funny cause you don't know who you're talking to, like the founder of this board and professional advocate of downtown is an empty nester who moved in last year. I welcome the comedy and your posts. The board has been quiet for the last year or so. So, I appreciate the discussion on a very important topic. I imagine the other board originals are probably too busy designing new towers, or meeting with the city or leading neighborhood organizations to comment as often. Shame, because I learned so much from some of those early discussions and likely wouldn't be a downtown resident without this board.

I don't know who I'm talking to and I'm pretty sure if we all wanted our identities out there, we would have our real names on here. I enjoy the anonymity here as it allows me to discuss things in further detail. I'm not missing any meetings or any work by commenting. When you stare at vectorworks for half your day, you need a break here and there! I likely sit at the same meetings with a few of those people you speak of who no longer frequent this board. I've been following this board for 6 or 7 years but only recently joined. It's a wealth of information and full of great people who obviously care about downtown KC and the development of Kansas City in general.

I don't want anyone to think I'm 100% pro-Cordish as I know it can seem that way. Nothing wrong with some healthy criticism, I just wish there were suggestions or examples posted more often. People can call the glass "cheap plexiglass" or the entire design "hastily thrown together" but never back it up with what they in fact do like! I took the time a few days ago to post some examples of popular high rise designs in other cities to show how popular the use of blue/green glass is. I've even tried to explain why it's used so commonly in high-rise construction. Anything posted on this forum will be seen by Cordish, so offer some suggestions/examples instead of simply trashing the current designs and buildings.
1.Dark Dark Blue/Black Glass.
2. Large Areas of Glass Kinda like this. With the balconies towards the sides. 3 light may be to wide on the southface to do this tho.
3. Community Garden
4. 100% would be interested in a Three/Four Light Condos.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Three and Four don't have to be outstanding but there are so many different ways to do them with other textures/appearances...

Nothing special but would at least mix things up...

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We have an anonymous rumor board anybody can post on
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

StrangerThings wrote:Black glass has always made me nervous. One Kansas City Place has never really been a stand out design to me, but I can see where black glass would be really cool with the right design. Not sure what that building is in the third picture with white but that's a sexy design.

I think everyone will be surprisingly impressed by Three Light and really love Four Light. I think from an exterior point of view, Four Light will be my personal favorite.
four light was already my favorite design out of the group. Are the changes far from the original designs?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

KCPowercat wrote:We have an anonymous rumor board anybody can post on
First i was like "really? What's the URL?" then I was like "ooooooh"
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mister816 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:We have an anonymous rumor board anybody can post on
First i was like "really? What's the URL?" then I was like "ooooooh"
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15199

There is also a way to post anonymously on the anonymous message board (assuming that still works- no one ever does that)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's the one I meant. Tots anon
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

username: rumor
password: superpie