Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Three Light

Post by FangKC »

That happens in New York City a lot. The current renters (many of which have lived there for years) are the first ones given the offer to buy. It's easier to sell condos that way, because a lot of people don't want to move.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most of the apartments being constructed are not condo quality. Most 2 BR condos are over 1200 square feet. Most new 2 br apartments being built are around 1200 sq ft.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Do 3/4 Light have incentives lined up from original P&L deal or do they need another round of approval? If lining up financing isn't an issue, I could see 3/4 Lights happening pretty quickly as they shouldn't have an issue filling them up - and it would be awesome if 4 Light were a W hotel/residential hybrid and much taller.

As soon as streetcar is operating, I'd bet demand picks up even more. The City should help get 3/4 buildings on the fast track, not necessarily with more incentives but aiding with pre-clearing any hurdles.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote:That happens in New York City a lot. The current renters (many of which have lived there for years) are the first ones given the offer to buy. It's easier to sell condos that way, because a lot of people don't want to move.
Yeah, leasing a large new building is preferred mostly because it is easier to fill and generates operating income more quickly. Once filled, is easier to transition to condo though may take many years. Developers aren't necessarily interested in the current tenants buying, just that the building is full and the transition to condo would maintain keeping mostly full.

Is very hard to build hirise condo from scratch, needing 50%+ committed before building and needing to fill rest ASAP - transitioning to condo from lease makes much more sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:Do 3/4 Light have incentives lined up from original P&L deal or do they need another round of approval? If lining up financing isn't an issue, I could see 3/4 Lights happening pretty quickly as they shouldn't have an issue filling them up - and it would be awesome if 4 Light were a W hotel/residential hybrid and much taller.

As soon as streetcar is operating, I'd bet demand picks up even more. The City should help get 3/4 buildings on the fast track, not necessarily with more incentives but aiding with pre-clearing any hurdles.
I thought Two Light finished up the agreed upon incentives with the city...but I can't find an article confirming that.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yup, am talking 3 and 4 buildings here.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think the city is on the hook for assisting with parking for any residential high-rise Cordish builds in the district, but there are no longer any straight up per unit cash subsidies the city was on the hook for in buildings beyond 1 and 2.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:Yup, am talking 3 and 4 buildings here.
Right.. I was answering your question of 3/4 having incentives lined up from the original deal... I believe the original deal was satisfied with two light.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Got it, thx.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ that looks way out of scale. What is that, the United Nations tower? I know what you are trying to show though and it would be an amazing transformation of the 670 corridor.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

harbinger911 wrote:Could this be the south loop in 2024?
Only if you replace Bartle Hall.

You put that building in line with the pylons
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

harbinger911 wrote:No, I didn't. First, the rendering itself is not "to scale."
The rendering is squeezed to show both Grand and 14th St.
It's in front of the pylons. The pylons aren't "to scale."
And the building is not that much out of scale size-wise, go look at the initial rendering which show it from the S/SW.
Perhaps I could have moved it south slightly more... but why nitpick on something so minor?

Your rendering gets the idea across pretty well imho.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Will 3 (or 4) Light end up blocking the PRESIDENT sign from the KC Skyline?

If so, that's kinda sad.

Especially if it is replaced with FOUR LIGHT
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote:Will 3 (or 4) Light end up blocking the PRESIDENT sign from the KC Skyline?

If so, that's kinda sad.

Especially if it is replaced with FOUR LIGHT
it depends on the angle

From the southeast, ???
From the southwest it and the convention hotel will.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm talking about the 'signature' skyline shot, from the Liberty Memorial.

Damn shame. I like seeing that classic sign. Hope they don't let it fall into disrepair of turn it off sense no one will see it anymore.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The skyline is changing. Keeping it static means no progress. Am more concerned about Cordish buildings creating a monotonous wall appearance from the 'signature' Liberty Memorial skyline shot. They need to mix up appearance of each building using completely different external materials, heights, etc. Until Xroads gets some hirises, the Cordish buildings will 'cover up' much of downtown view from the S. It shouldn't be monotonously repetitious.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is an argument to be made against having all your building product look the same, or too similar. I will cite in car terms the old General Motors mistake back in the 1980s and '90s when Oldsmobiles, Chevy's, Buicks, and Pontiacs were basically the same car with a different branding badge glued on it. GM really started losing market share--even within their own brands--because consumers couldn't distinguish between models, and the brands were not differentiated enough to appeal to different preferences. Why spend a couple thousand more for a Buick when it looked essentially the same as a Chevrolet?

My point is one of marketing. People have different taste, and that includes things like buildings and houses. When you put too much of the same product out there, you will only attract a limited number of customers for that "brand," and you are missing out on an entirely different market segment that has different taste.

There are people who like sleek, all-glass towers, and there are people who like more conservative "The Walnuts"-type apartment buildings. Not every apartment dweller wants floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Some people like having more wall space to hang art, and smaller separate windows that give them more privacy. The difference in building designs can also determine how a resident decorates their apartment. There are certain things one cannot do with floor-to-ceiling glass curtain walls. This is especially true if Cordish plans to convert rental apartments to condos at some point.
LikesDevelopment
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by LikesDevelopment »

earthling wrote:The skyline is changing. Keeping it static means no progress.
I wish more people would get on board with this mentality. I'm all for having a "good view" from the Liberty Memorial. But who's to say that the "good view" isn't a view that did not exist 20 years ago? I really hope there's not a substantial fight when plans emerge that happen to obstruct some of the more historic buildings on the skyline.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Hord Coplan Macht has a couple new renderings of the "Light" towers. The W is noticeable on Four Light and a portion of 670 is capped...could it be happening?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pic #1 taken from Hyatt :)