Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
JBmidtown
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Three Light

Postby JBmidtown » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:Also, a timeline and goal of capping 670 has been discussed in high detail but I've not heard of a specific target date.

Wait, Cordish is planning on engineering and paying for the cap? That would be awesome.

I don't believe they's shoulder the entire cost, but they're committed to helping anyway possible. They understand how transformative of an impact it would have.

I'm just glad a private company wants to invest in public infrastructure in this city. It kind of softens my cynicism with Cordish.

im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby im2kull » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 am

StrangerThings wrote:I was lucky enough to see an updated rendering today of four light/W. It's drastically different yet still fits with the other buildings. By far the coolest design of all of the cordish builds.

Is it's still being discussed as a W flagged hotel? Any height estimates?

TheBigChuckbowski
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby TheBigChuckbowski » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:54 am

JBmidtown wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:
Wait, Cordish is planning on engineering and paying for the cap? That would be awesome.

I don't believe they's shoulder the entire cost, but they're committed to helping anyway possible. They understand how transformative of an impact it would have.

I'm just glad a private company wants to invest in public infrastructure in this city. It kind of softens my cynicism with Cordish.

Well, I mean, it would help their investments significantly. The difference in rent they can charge to overlook a park vs a highway has to be substantial.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 am

If I recall the residential can't have balconies facing freeway. If true, if the cap were in progress before Three or Four Lights started, could they have balconies?

Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby Riverite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 am

This may seem like a dumb question, but would it be prohibitively expensive to install balconies on 2 light post cap?

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:17 am

2 light has balconies facing interstate on the higher floors

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm

KCPowercat wrote:2 light has balconies facing interstate on the higher floors

shorter Juliette balconies as I recall.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Riverite wrote:This may seem like a dumb question, but would it be prohibitively expensive to install balconies on 2 light post cap?

Very expensive. Some people seem to like the Juliet balconies more than other. I prefer to sit out on my Balcony at One Light, but honestly I rarely see anyone else sitting out on theirs. Seems like maybe 20% of the residents utilize that space.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:03 am

I used to know someone who lived in this building in NYC on or around the 30th floor. The balconies were not that wide, and they had glass panels as the barricade. You felt very vulnerable being out on it. He said he never really saw anyone using their balconies because of the queasy factor. I once watched a fireworks show from it, and the entire time I felt like I was going to fall. He said it had a less threatening feel when he sat out there at night. However, because he was so high up, if it was fairly windy at all, it was not that pleasant.

http://www.riverbankapts.com/

Street level view of the building.

http://tinyurl.com/y8vptkxe

I have been in other tall apartment buildings with balconies and if they had non-glass barricades the experience wasn't as scary, because having a solid barricade gave one more a sense of safety. Another thing that helps at these heights is if the balcony/patio area was set back further from the edge or partially into the apartment itself. I guess I mean deeper, so that you can still enjoy being outside but not feel you could accidently topple over the edge.

I recall being in his apartment during a gathering and the majority of people wouldn't go out on the balcony at all. He said he never allowed anyone on it if they were drinking.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 am

I like the texture of the exterior of this residential tower.

http://tinyurl.com/ybavzh7y

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby moderne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am

When living at the View I had large balconies on both sides of the building and seldom used either. There was always a constant wind, and one had the peculiar sensation of being a fly on a window. Having floor to ceiling wall to wall windows, the views were actually better from indoors due to the pixel glass eliminating glare. Only used the balcony for sunset dinners for guests, firework viewing or air shows. Once had a heavy glass dining table top lifted by the wind, half of its shattered remains ended up on Admiral Blvd. Where I live now has balcony inset into the building, and thus sheltered and more private. I use this much more.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:48 am

Balconies are a big selling perk for condos. I use mine regularly but have worked from home last couple years. Have noticed others either use theirs very often or rarely at all. Might be different for hirise apts but if an apt owner plans to eventually go condo, the larger the balconies the better. I would not buy a hirise condo unit w/out one, might not be the case for most but if buyers have options of buildings with and w/out, would think those with balcony would move better.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 am

Two light has full balconies on higher floors facing 670

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

FangKC wrote:I used to know someone who lived in this building in NYC on or around the 30th floor. The balconies were not that wide, and they had glass panels as the barricade. You felt very vulnerable being out on it. He said he never really saw anyone using their balconies because of the queasy factor. I once watched a fireworks show from it, and the entire time I felt like I was going to fall. He said it had a less threatening feel when he sat out there at night. However, because he was so high up, if it was fairly windy at all, it was not that pleasant.

http://www.riverbankapts.com/

Street level view of the building.

http://tinyurl.com/y8vptkxe

I have been in other tall apartment buildings with balconies and if they had non-glass barricades the experience wasn't as scary, because having a solid barricade gave one more a sense of safety. Another thing that helps at these heights is if the balcony/patio area was set back further from the edge or partially into the apartment itself. I guess I mean deeper, so that you can still enjoy being outside but not feel you could accidently topple over the edge.

I recall being in his apartment during a gathering and the majority of people wouldn't go out on the balcony at all. He said he never allowed anyone on it if they were drinking.

Many people I know in One Light say the same things. They're not comfortable on the balcony. I love it, especially late at night or around sunrise. It is a bit scary though with the glass and there's been a few times I've had a few drinks and felt uncomfortable out there.

A few of the larger units and penthouses have large balconies that bump into the units. For me, I want all the interior space I can get especially considering how apartments and condos seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The bumped in patio sounds like the most popular but it clearly reduces the space available inside and makes the design more complex, costing more.

So you get in response the hanging balcony design that feels much more dangerous. Add the trend towards putting glass walls on all three sides and it's no wonder they're not popular.

I like that cube building example Fang posted because it seems to be the best of both designs. It looks like the tower uses the bump outs to gain space for each unit and provide solid patios at the same time. Just having a real floor would dramatically change the feel of it.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

If you are high income, and can afford a really big apartment, having a balcony inset into the apartment doesn't seem like a big loss of space because you have enough space anyway.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Hirise external balconies are very common in every major city. Would hate to see KC developers avoid them out of impressions of 'fear' by some. Could see developers use as an excuse to go cheaper and KC 'settles'. You do want the balcony walls to near chestline for tallish person though (mine is) but also glass or thin slots so that you can see through when sitting down.

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby pash » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Ground breaking of Two March 2016
Completion June 2018

Ground breaking of Three Sep 2018
So completion Jan 2021

So Cordish can build two entire towers in less time that it has taken to paint the Grand bike lanes

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 am

We should get details on this project pretty soon right?

Return to “Power & Light District”