Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Nice renderings...glad it's going to be taller than Two Light and the roof will be sloped. Is ground breaking still early 2019?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Great information, thank you for sharing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm The pedestrian bridge is the real surprise here
Wonder if they plan to share unique amenities between the buildings rather than duplicate most amenities.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

What is the purpose of the skybridge link? If you don''t live in the building, what need to go over? Is the pool in 3L actually smaller despite being a larger building? Is there a separate pool for the condos on an upper amenity deck?
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Love these renderings and cannot wait for the added density/removal of a surface lot. It's also super interesting that Cordish is testing out condos for the top floors. Downtown lacks condo inventory and this might be a good way to test how new construction performs...
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

geeman68 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pm What is the purpose of the skybridge link? If you don''t live in the building, what need to go over?
I'm no expert but it seems from Cordish' viewpoint the residents can share amenities, and maximize Cordish's maintenance and worker crew access. They wouldn't be paying high dollar for it without a payoff.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

BTW I'm not involved in the project in any way. I just got permission to share the renderings, so I don't have too much insight. If I learn anything else interesting I'll share though
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What I am looking forward to most from this project is the continued pedestrianization(?) of N. Truman. I never, ever could have imagined Truman becoming a pedestrian oriented street, but with the opening of two light I can already see it is inevitable (and with the capping of the loop it could be one of the best streets in the city). You see two light residents taking their dogs across the street all the time, lots of people in and out of the building along Truman. Far more than I imagined. Three light will only extend this activity and connectivity.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't have a problem with the bridge being used for shared residential amenities. Makes sense to me really.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Sulgrave and Regency on Plaza do this.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I don't have a problem with the bridge in particular. I'd be the first person to denounce stuff like that, but here it kinda makes sense. Lets the residents intermingle. It's a symptom of a larger issue, though, which is that the extensive rooftop amenities give people an excuse to stay up in the shiny tower and off the streets. Pretty anti-urban. Seems odd cordish would design a tower that way, since all the P&L businesses are at street level, but they obviously have a plan
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm I don't have a problem with the bridge in particular. I'd be the first person to denounce stuff like that, but here it kinda makes sense. Lets the residents intermingle. It's a symptom of a larger issue, though, which is that the extensive rooftop amenities give people an excuse to stay up in the shiny tower and off the streets. Pretty anti-urban. Seems odd cordish would design a tower that way, since all the P&L businesses are at street level, but they obviously have a plan
I think the idea of sharing spaces is actually pro-urban. Just like everyone having their own parking garage, everyone having their own redundant and underutilized amenities space can be a great waste of funds and space.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm I don't have a problem with the bridge in particular. I'd be the first person to denounce stuff like that, but here it kinda makes sense. Lets the residents intermingle. It's a symptom of a larger issue, though, which is that the extensive rooftop amenities give people an excuse to stay up in the shiny tower and off the streets. Pretty anti-urban. Seems odd cordish would design a tower that way, since all the P&L businesses are at street level, but they obviously have a plan
I'd be against it if they were public areas, but I have no problem with it for residents. I don't find it particularly anti-urban, although Cordish is stepping closer to the boundaries with private food and bar stuff.

But I occasionally use my place's amenities in the morning to workout or go watch sports while having coffee or a drink. Not having to go outside is part of the sell there. I don't want to be in a bar always. :D And we have tenant only events and spaces. :/ Nothing wrong with getting to know your neighbors, and with rents where they are in Kansas City, amenities likes this are the new normal.

Plus, I just don't think it will impact street level activity. Now if they try to build a private walk way to *public* areas, I'll start bitching. :D
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

geeman68 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pm What is the purpose of the skybridge link? If you don''t live in the building, what need to go over? Is the pool in 3L actually smaller despite being a larger building? Is there a separate pool for the condos on an upper amenity deck?
I know at two light they are going to have a bar, food, and events. Those typically take some level of scale to sustain. If they can scale different exclusive amenities across their towers while renting out the bottom floor as open retail, that's probably better business than trying to replicate every amenity in every tower they build.

I'm just guessing though :)
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

"Light Rail Station..."

Let's not go down this argument again haha.

Building looks good. I like the Skybridge idea. Just make sure those tie rods are spec'd properly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not a fan of pedestrian bridges. Want to go to the other building? Walk across the street.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:10 pm I'm not a fan of pedestrian bridges. Want to go to the other building? Walk across the street.
I see no problem with a pedestrian bridge here. Want to go to the deep pool(you get the idea), why would you walk across the street? It’s make literally no sense to have shared amenities and make people leave the building. I will say that I would be concerned if all 4-7 buildings were connected. However, I highly doubt a hotel 4 Light would get such a connection. Makes a lot more sense for 4 Light (Hotel and Apartments or whatever) to have their own set.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:33 am But no efffing way on that sky bridge. Nope.
Exactly. Why wouldn't they want residents down on street level where their other paying tenants are?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

It's not even a pretty skybridge
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There's a place to be against bridges, but imho this is not one of them. I'm sorry, but I like being lazy and walking into common areas with a coffee at 9am and not having to be dressed up. I don't want someone to tell me to go to a coffee shop or go to a bar.

I think you guys have this one wrong.

It just makes no sense. Everyone should take an elevator down, wait for the shitty walk signal, walk across, fob in, elevator up, and then go up where they want to be? Just for your ideal of having people on the streets? These are private areas? Come on.