Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I'm excited about the skyline changing, it's been the same for 30 years. And in reality, it's not changing that much. One KCP, Town Pavilion, PnL tower and 1201 will still all stand out due to their height. What downtown really needs is a 40 story tower on Grand to even the skyline out and to add something tall and new to the eastern side.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote:
I'm sure someone can find a spot they can't see them from.

the best skyline views are where you have a sea of parking lots in between.

I guess they wouldn't be visible from the North Loop. When a row of buildings span from Sprint Center to almost the convention center, it's hard for them to ever not be seen. They will be a major part of the skyline.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

2 Light is over Corrigan and US at every angle except if you're standing in Pershing.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

:cry: 8-[ :cry: :( :cry: 8-[

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Kansas City is a city not a postcard.

Anyways when is Two Light expected to be topped out? This fall/winter, right?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I think we should just go back to 1997 when the entire PnL area was surface parking lots, one haunted house, boarded up buildings with trees growing from the roof and the interior food courts were all packed....good times.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ Yep! That's what I said!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I think we should just go back to 1997 when the entire PnL area was surface parking lots, one haunted house, boarded up buildings with trees growing from the roof and the interior food courts were all packed....good times.
Oh boy, the "it's better than nothing" argument.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I think we should just go back to 1997 when the entire PnL area was surface parking lots, one haunted house, boarded up buildings with trees growing from the roof and the interior food courts were all packed....good times.
Yeah, I don't like this or the "your average person on the street doesn't care" argument. There's nothing wrong with trying to hold Cordish to some level of standard with buildings that are going to make up a significant change in our skyline for as long as any of us our alive.

I personally have no problem with Two Light, but I'm worried about Three and Four should they develop into reality.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote:
No I just think it's funny that everyone on the message board has been clamoring for more density, more density and yet, when that density begins to change the skyline from one vantage point of Liberty Memorial, everybody freaks out. Go take your "money" shot now and put it away, then you will have it forever.

Would everybody be happy if they just built 10 story buildings around the financial district so not to change anything? Good grief.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think there is any problem with them building a line of buildings...and also nothing wrong with challenging them to be creative in that design. ....despite their massive glass order cost savings.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What Cordish has done is great for downtown, one of the major catalysts. Yes, the complaints are aesthetic but if they do each building externally unique with the same interior quality it takes the chances of a distasteful monotonous wall of plexiglas out of the equation. Cordish has done residential in other cities and plans more. They can get economies of scale by procuring same external material from projects in other cities and mix things up for KC's 3/4 lights.

But KC is too easily complacent and few apparently care about aesthetics or encouraging developers to raise the bar.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Most of all, I miss Gus's Goldmine.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

StrangerThings wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
Yeah, I don't like this or the "your average person on the street doesn't care" argument. There's nothing wrong with trying to hold Cordish to some level of standard with buildings that are going to make up a significant change in our skyline for as long as any of us our alive.

I personally have no problem with Two Light, but I'm worried about Three and Four should they develop into reality.
Who says Cordish isn't being held to a certain level of standard? One Light is a finalist for the 2017 Urban Land Institutes Global Excellence Award which is one of the most prestigious awards in urban development. Oh, and Cordish has won more of those awards than any other developer in the world. I think I trust them to do their best on these next few towers.
I didn't mention One Light and I said I personally had no problem with Two Light, but that I do have concerns about Three and Four and there is nothing wrong with putting pressure on them as these plans move forward. :)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And they should listen to public input particularly given they've received public aid. Downtown has just enough momentum that it's time to start encouraging developers to raise the bar,.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think in summary of everyone, there's nothing wrong with pushing for a review of the design so it's not cookie cutter, but it's not a design that would be a huge disaster if it's not changed.

At the very least being able to say that Three Light has some unique feature would be a good thing. "The Trains is next to Three Light, it has the cool _____ at the top"
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:No I just think it's funny that everyone on the message board has been clamoring for more density, more density and yet, when that density begins to change the skyline from one vantage point of Liberty Memorial, everybody freaks out. Go take your "money" shot now and put it away, then you will have it forever.

Would everybody be happy if they just built 10 story buildings around the financial district so not to change anything? Good grief.
Is it possible that you're missing the entire context of this conversation?
Not one person has objected in any way about "density," "development" or even a "changing money shot."
It's simply discussion about the possibility of Two, Three and Four Light(s) looking identical if the same materials and design are used and how that might look in the skyline. No one is freaking out, we're just discussing the possibilities and opportunities.
We're all on the same team here with ya.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It takes a driving force to change developers plans and it may have to come from downtown associations to gain any traction. Speak out to them if you want a change of Cordish plans. They haven't presented any final plans with any detail for Three, just high level renderings, so it may not be too late to influence. Or if complacent with a massive wall of monotony, that's what we'll get.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ agreed! It seems like some of those individuals leading those associations would want to be on this board. :)
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

I'd have to assume that occupancy rates from 1/2 light will come into play here.

Does anyone know that One Light's occupancy rate?