Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Post by hgascoigne »

wahoowa wrote:travis kelce? the guy on the top floor of wall street towers, so he can choose which view of 1201 walnut he prefers on any given day?
He actually lives on the top floor of One Light, but yes, that price is a little ridiculous for this market.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

right, listed those as two different people — [kelce] & [guy on top of WST].

i'll throw in the current owners of 909 walnut's penthouse in the mix, so now we're all the way up to three.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

909 was purchased though.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I believe 2 light is already 10% leased. My guess would be that all of the penthouse floors are already leased.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

wahoowa wrote: here's a rendering of the double-story living room if you're willing to click around, make a fake account, etc.: https://twolightkc.com/360-tours/
Unit 2401 is a double high
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I actually think a business owner will rent the penthouse and write the rent off as a business expense. I've noted this before but a lot of the high end rentals coming on the market downtown are being picked up as executive style living for out of town employees and management.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Agree with the business expense write off - just under $200/night for a two bedroom with parking and great location seems doable.

So that makes me wonder how it might work with a possible Three Light or Four Light apartment/hotel combination where a renters have access to hotel and concierge services. If a hotel were to go for $200/night at a W, and a one-bedroom apartment leased for $1,500/mo (avg $50/night), what are the chances that a lot of people rent in the building only to turn around and Air BNB it for less than the hotel's nightly rate?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

A past job I was at the owner owned a condo with plaza views and they used it investors. It had a huge flatscreen, the fastest internet they could get, a great furniture setup, they could custom stock the kitchen for dietary needs/preferences, etc. It was quite nice, I helped setup the Internet service in it. I always figured that for a place with 7-8 figure deals over and over buying or leasing a unit looks really cheap for the value.

There's also side aspects for investor relations. Imagine the same place owns a suite in Sprint Center. They can fly a big investor in who loves team X and they're in the final for Big 12 and not have to worry about where the hotel room will be.
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

business expense theory makes a ton of sense. and if that's the intended/expected use, that's pretty cool.

on the hybrid apartment/hotel issue — interesting question. some back of the napkin math makes it look like you would have to hit something like 40-60% occupancy throughout a year depending on how close to the hotel cost you priced, just to break even on rent + parking + utilities + internet [and maybe throwing in a bit for one-time set up costs, like furnishing]. that level of annual occupancy would probably involve a not-insignificant amount of additional expenses of either time or money for administrative and cleaning tasks. so it seems to me like there's not a huge risk that many people will aggressively do this as a matter of course. but, variations in rent and administrative costs could definitely drive a different conclusion in some cases.

of course, they could also just add a clause to your lease that makes it a default of your lease to do any of this, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to police it on the sites big enough to drive significant traffic.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Of course this is the suburbs but New theater Restaurant owns a house in OP that is used to house it's stars.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

any recent pics of the tower construction progress?
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

LCDSI wrote:any recent pics of the tower construction progress?
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

thanks miz.jordan17
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Thanks a lot. Could those a little closer to the project keep some of us that are not informed, with picture updates every couple floors or so. It"s very appreciated. :D
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Progress has been pretty slow over the last month. They're taking their sweet time with the amenity level, and the holidays and cold temperatures didn't help.

Another view from Truman Rd:
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

It is Appreciated. Thank you
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's what I saw on the 6th, they just moved up a floor on the west end.

So from the lowest end they're working on floor 9.

The current long row of decoration is the start of 3 for easy counting.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Looks like they are creating store fronts along Truman with a canopy at the corner of Walnut and Truman.

The glass looks different from the One Light glass, too.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Also appears to me that the floor plates look taller than One Lights? Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a matter of perception.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Midtownkid wrote:Looks like they are creating store fronts along Truman with a canopy at the corner of Walnut and Truman.

The glass looks different from the One Light glass, too.
Does it look like a more blueish-green color like on their website? Maybe that will be be how they make the buildings stand out from one another.