Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 pm Fingers crossed the delay is partly due to waiting on an I-670 lid announcement they're partially involved in, since that would directly impact the design (allow for south facing balconies on the lower levels)
Are they really in a position to help fund that project? A request for full city or state funding would fall on deaf ears.
We should let them build over the highway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is anybody not allowing them to do it?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I believe that is a modot thing.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe Cerner could finally contribute to the urban core and sponsor the park. Enough of their employees live right around there.

I think it's reasonable to expect property owners along there to contribute, but with city and state funding this shouldn't be hard to do.

Having a central park would be amazing.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Having a central park would be amazing.
I'm absolutely all for an I-670 deck park a la Dallas. I think the space would be incredible, and likely very well used.

However, if given the choice, I'd rather invest ~$100m in a rebuild of Penn Valley Park, our already extant downtown central park, complete with skyline views, wooded bluffs and landmark structures, that is essentially unused (not without reason).

To me the impact would be much larger; the I-670 trench is becoming a relative non-factor is the surrounding blocks are built up. I do realize this is purely hypothetical, and PVP will likely remain a freeway on-ramp for the foreseeable future.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am
I'm absolutely all for an I-670 deck park a la Dallas. I think the space would be incredible, and likely very well used.

However, if given the choice, I'd rather invest ~$100m in a rebuild of Penn Valley Park, our already extant downtown central park, complete with skyline views, wooded bluffs and landmark structures, that is essentially unused (not without reason).

To me the impact would be much larger; the I-670 trench is becoming a relative non-factor is the surrounding blocks are built up. I do realize this is purely hypothetical, and PVP will likely remain a freeway on-ramp for the foreseeable future.
There is a big disconnect between Power and Light/CBD and the Crossroads. A new park would connect the areas and create much synergie and pedestrian life downtown. It would also spur a ton of development along the south side, which still contains a ton of surface parking.

Penn Valley Park needs (a lot of) work that should be addressed after the streetcar extension gets underway. They are both important but I think priority wise, capping the loop should be a P0 and PVP a P1.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree the deck is necessary. However, I don't foresee the federal or state governments allocating any money for it right now. The state can't even find enough money for the new Buck O'Neil bridge.

Missouri also will have to pay to completely rebuild sections of I-29, State highways, and bridges, in NW Missouri that were damaged or destroyed by flooding. Money that wasn't previously in the budget cue, or backlog.

If the deck gets built anytime soon, it's probably going to be a combination of City, County, and private dollars.

Any changes to the park will face possible opposition from the Penn Valley Park Conservancy. The group doesn't exist to draw more visitors to the park, but to conserve the park exactly as designed by George Kessler.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No public funds!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 pmAny changes to the park will face possible opposition from the Penn Valley Park Conservancy. The group doesn't exist to draw more visitors to the park, but to conserve the park exactly as designed by George Kessler.
That Kessler fellow sure was ahead of his time with all the freeway infrastructure.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grecobs wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pmThere is a big disconnect between Power and Light/CBD and the Crossroads.
You don't need to deck the trench to fix that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It sure would help.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:54 am
grecobs wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pmThere is a big disconnect between Power and Light/CBD and the Crossroads.
You don't need to deck the trench to fix that.
Highways are a physical barrier that have been used to divide neighborhoods for decades. Capping the highway and creating a park or development is vital to restoring a connection between Crossroads and P&L.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/ ... st/584707/

Suggested reading^
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oh, I've done the reading and don't oppose capping or removal. In the scope of downtown highway scars, it's the least offensive and could be improved by simply adding more sound abatement and plantings in the adjacent green spaces. The Baltimore crossing just needs to be narrowed.

North Loop removal, taking MO-9 to grade, US-71 underpass treatments, and relocating I-35 to the bluff are my downtown highway abatement priorities.

We can't do it all, so we have to prioritize (and, frankly, I'm not optimistic the private sector will come through on the lid like the people on this forum think they will).
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 pm Oh, I've done the reading and don't oppose capping or removal. In the scope of downtown highway scars, it's the least offensive and could be improved by simply adding more sound abatement and plantings in the adjacent green spaces. The Baltimore crossing just needs to be narrowed.

North Loop removal, taking MO-9 to grade, US-71 underpass treatments, and relocating I-35 to the bluff are my downtown highway abatement priorities.

We can't do it all, so we have to prioritize (and, frankly, I'm not optimistic the private sector will come through on the lid like the people on this forum think they will).
Agreed, KC needs to prioritize N. loop removal ideally in conjunction with Buck O'Neil bridge replacement project. There is an urgent need and ticking clock to replace the bridge, where apart from sucky views and annoyance time is not of the essence in the 670-caping project. Both are incredibly worthy but expensive and regulatory difficult projects.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

my worry with removing the north loop is that it turns into parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 pm Oh, I've done the reading and don't oppose capping or removal. In the scope of downtown highway scars, it's the least offensive and could be improved by simply adding more sound abatement and plantings in the adjacent green spaces. The Baltimore crossing just needs to be narrowed.

Good point. I was evaluating this in a bit of a silo of cordish fronting the money
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

You'll start to see some work being down on Truman, in between Grand and Walnut. The grassy area will become a dog run/park for Two Light residents.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

restricted to just 2 light residents? i see people bring dogs from south of truman up to that strip all the time.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Right. Isn't that public property? How can it be reserved for residents of one building?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Power and light apartments did the same but it's on private land.

MoDot let river market do this but is public.