Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Postby kboish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Is Cordish looking to get incentives for three light?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:27 pm

kboish wrote:Is Cordish looking to get incentives for three light?

i bet they have some kind of guarantee from the original development agreement for all four towers.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

I don't think so. I remember when 2 light was approved that someone said that was the last pre-approved incentive. Cordish is still "owed" parking if/when they redevelop the midland offices. So I guess they could swap out that guarantee for something related to 3 light, but otherwise I think they are tapped out on guarantees.

grovester
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby grovester » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Highway Cap :drool:

Will happen. Goal:Within next 4-5 years.

I don't see them capping the south loop and eliminating the north one in the same time frame unless Cordish picks up the tab.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm

With Cordish in on the Loews hotel....it's more plausible.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Last year at a meeting with attendees from Cordish, the design and construction teams as well as the city officials, including the city manager, the conversation was all parties want to cap that area as seen in the renderings within 5 years. Cordish would be interested in helping with the financing but obviously want some control or say in how the newly created park areas would be utilized and maintained. It only helps their property value go up.

As for future incentives, I'm not sure. I do believe the city would offer and Cordish would firmly push for incentives at least on the parking garage portions of 3 and 4/W.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:15 pm

I could see Cordish somehow weaving the capping of the loop construction into a TIF request for three light. It would certainly make approval of the TIF more palatable.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm

If it comes with higher taxable values, not the worst tradeofr

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:04 pm

flyingember wrote:If it comes with higher taxable values, not the worst tradeofr

Guessing it would work like the "green roof" park. Owned by the city but mostly operated and maintained by Cordish. Open to the public during daylight hours, open only to residents after dark.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 pm

StrangerThings wrote:
flyingember wrote:If it comes with higher taxable values, not the worst tradeofr

Guessing it would work like the "green roof" park. Owned by the city but mostly operated and maintained by Cordish. Open to the public during daylight hours, open only to residents after dark.

Most people here want the Interstate capped. Not sure I'd want it capped with those conditions. I understand Cordish's concerns because such a park might bring in a security risk at night but that really takes some premier real estate out of the urban landscape in evening. With that area being so close to a convention hotel and Sprint center, that's a lot for the city to give up even if for just the evening hours.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Highlander wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:

Most people here want the Interstate capped. Not sure I'd want it capped with those conditions. I understand Cordish's concerns because such a park might bring in a security risk at night but that really takes some premier real estate out of the urban landscape in evening. With that area being so close to a convention hotel and Sprint center, that's a lot for the city to give up even if for just the evening hours.

I doubt they'd close the entire park. Perhaps just a dedicated section. We are also talking about after 9pm. There's not many reasons to hang out in a park in the dark. Most of the people that get into the greenroom after 9pm who aren't residents are either up to no good or they're filming homemade music videos. I don't see them putting a fence all the way around the area either, so closing it would be impossible. Cordish will want a say in the design and layout considering the park would be mostly used by many of their 1500+ downtown residents.

The city has it good with the green roof. Unless it's a major fix, Cordish covers maintenance cost and operational duties.

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCLover » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:09 pm

If it ever gets capped, I hope they look at Citygarden in St Louis and model it somewhat after that. It's a really cool small, urban park.

Critical_Mass
New York Life
New York Life

Postby Critical_Mass » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Klyde Warren Park in downtown Dallas is another good example. It's pretty much the same size-- a 3 block long capped interstate greenspace.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 am

A recent ordinance passed makes all city parks closed at night

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:12 am

The space above the freeway would need to remain public space, so Cordish could not own it (but I suspect they could manage it on the city's behalf).

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:04 am

DaveKCMO wrote:The space above the freeway would need to remain public space, so Cordish could not own it (but I suspect they could manage it on the city's behalf).

Yes, much like the green roof and that parking garage. The city has very little day to day involvement while still maintaining ownership. They only become involved when there's a major issue to be addressed. Unfortunately, the city takes too long to do even the basic maintenance required and often Cordish picks up the tab just to get things done.

There's no way Cordish would own or want to own the cap, but they won't throw any money into it without some skin in the game. That example of a cap in Dallas is awesome.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 am

I could see them helping pay for upkeep for the ability to close it for private special events.

Owning a hotel + parking garage + managing an outdoor space for a downtown event would be a good setup for them.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:32 am

flyingember wrote:I could see them helping pay for upkeep for the ability to close it for private special events.

Owning a hotel + parking garage + managing an outdoor space for a downtown event would be a good setup for them.

I'm sure they'll utilize it for many private events. What's nice is it will be big enough to allow this without closing off access to residents. Big issue with the green roof is the fact that when a private event is going on, residents lose their one spot to take out thier dogs.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 am

That's a good point. If it's 3-4 blocks long some of the space could always be open to the public

grecobs
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby grecobs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm

If only KC were as progressive as Dallas...one key issue I see arising with downtown is the lack of public greenspace in the heart of thriving communities. There are no parks in Crossroads or in the River Market that are traversed daily by several different groups of people. Capping the loop would tie this entire community together, lead to a massive increase in walkability and desirability of the entire downtown ecosystem.

Return to “Power & Light District”