Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Post by normalthings »

The Penthouse was honestly just the base unit with an extra bedroom and a higher view. The view wasn’t necessarily any better either. Penthouse bedrooms were disappointingly small.

The #1 most disappointing thing is AirBnB being banned by Cordish. I and people I have been looking at apartments for want the ability to rent the units out when they are not in use.

In other news, is anyone here familiar with the types of events and programming that Cordish puts on? Are there special events for more expensive units?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

After last night, I would love to ban Airbnb. It's annoying as fuck.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Moderators have removed personal references from the above posts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:After last night, I would love to ban Airbnb. It's annoying as fuck.
What happened with your AirBnB ?
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

[Deleted.]

Best to move on from this weird conversation. Two light looks really cool. I like it. Nothing I said referenced any problem with two light. My comment was edited for good reasons that didn't involve anything I said.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Across the street from Two Light they have added some nice landscaping with extensive plantings in the narrow strip between Truman and 670. As it fills in it will nicely screen off some of the freeway. If this was done to all of the length of 670 in DT it would be a much cheaper alternative to the lid(better than nothing at all).
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Pretty much any street downtown outside PnL needs extensive landscaping. Broadway is probably the most desolate street downtown. The City has really neglected this for too long, but again, it's the KC way.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Pretty much any street downtown outside PnL needs extensive landscaping. Broadway is probably the most desolate street downtown. The City has really neglected this for too long, but again, it's the KC way.
Agree. Grand is really bad too. Wish there was a dedicated fund for greening/street trees throughout downtown, they really make a huge difference and improve the pedestrian experience dramatically.

Also, as noted on the Plaza thread, it could use many more street trees as well. I'm still frustrated they removed the more mature trees on the southwest side around Gram & Dunn, etc. several years ago.
Last edited by rxlexi on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yep, north of the Sprint Center on Grand is horrible. Hopefully with the Traders remodel, the Federal Reserve Embassy Suites and some other development along Grand will spur some new landscaping. And wasn't Grand supposed to be completely re-done with a road diet and new landscaping anyway, like 5 years ago? I mean north of Sprint Center still has the old streetlight posts from the 1970's :oops:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Btw noticed the other day the "public" parking lot is closed to residents only when grand is closed. Great idea to put s public lot entrance where we close the street for big events....when people need parking.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i like that this car hole is small, but they need to add that annoying honking thing when pedestrians and cars are about to converge at the entrance so drivers get startled and slow down that you see in other garages like the HRB and UMB garages on walnut. damn near drew a charge on two different vehicles here this weekend.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Two Light reaches full occupancy about a year after opening. Three Light announcements coming soon?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ml?ana=twt
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Article says Q4 construction start
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Fingers crossed the delay is partly due to waiting on an I-670 lid announcement they're partially involved in, since that would directly impact the design (allow for south facing balconies on the lower levels)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

grecobs wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm Two Light reaches full occupancy about a year after opening. Three Light announcements coming soon?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ml?ana=twt
A health vacancy rate is about 7-8%. Two Light is at 4% vacant and One Light is at 3% vacant. Cordish expects a project to take 18-24 months to lease up to what we did in ~11 months. This is giving me hope that we will see a Four Light in the 1st half of 2020’s.

In regards to Three Light...
1. I would love to see condos available on day 1.
2. Today’s article notes Three Light will have 300 units (4 more than Two Light). Has this project been scaled back from the original renderings that showed it being multiple floors taller than Two Light?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is it more likely they would start selling one light units to condos?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

is there any reason, if we dream, that target wouldn't go in here? Does Cosentinos have an exclusive still?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 pm is there any reason, if we dream, that target wouldn't go in here? Does Cosentinos have an exclusive still?
The top reason that I can think of would be the limited size of the floor plates.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 pm Fingers crossed the delay is partly due to waiting on an I-670 lid announcement they're partially involved in, since that would directly impact the design (allow for south facing balconies on the lower levels)
Are they really in a position to help fund that project? A request for full city or state funding would fall on deaf ears.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 pm Fingers crossed the delay is partly due to waiting on an I-670 lid announcement they're partially involved in, since that would directly impact the design (allow for south facing balconies on the lower levels)
Are they really in a position to help fund that project? A request for full city or state funding would fall on deaf ears.
It depends on what value a park brings to rental rates.
Let's assume they want to convert all of Two Light to condos after ten years. About half the 295 units will have a south facing view, for 150.

Let's assume an moving from a freeway view to a park view bumps rental rates by about $500 per month because freeway views are not in demand.

That's about $9 million in extra rental money over 10 years. The current cost estimate for the cap is $139 million. If we assume Three and Four Light with similar gains they could potentially provide $13 million, or nearly 10% of the cost, and get a 200% return on their investment.

But I would say that they are in a position to help fund such a project.